MI2 Greenlighted! DHS Coaster Too?

_Scar

Oi...since when are films with no sequels forgotten?

Walt really should have thought about that before he built castles and rides for films without sequels.:brick:

There's one reason, and one reason only why Cars 2 is being made: Merchandising. "Where the real money from the movie is made!"

Unfortuneately Walt is not in charge anymore.

:brick:

voodoo321

Oi...since when are films with no sequels forgotten?

Walt really should have thought about that before he built castles and rides for films without sequels.:brick:

There's one reason, and one reason only why Cars 2 is being made: Merchandising. "Where the real money from the movie is made!"

yogurt.jpg

That's right. Moychindising!

plutoismyhero

By greenlighting the MI sequel Disney is giving it the franchise label. And I believe you will see Iger's vision become more and more forward looking. As in this case IMO.

If you noticed, the DAK Mysterious Island rumors ended about the same time the 20K film franchise was shelved. It's all connected and Iger has clearly explained this is his strategy.

"Franchise" is the new "synergy".

JT where can i look at this strategy is there like a press release.....you have got me very intrigued!!!!

fosse76

Disney has confirmed a Monsters Inc. 2 in 2012. This pretty much confirms the DHS coaster will be greenlighted if it isn't already. At least that is my opinion.:)

That doesn't confirm anything. We already know how close this was to becoming a reality, which means its design must be several years old. This is more of a coincidence in timing (like most of your "predictions").

_Scar

That doesn't confirm anything. We already know how close this was to becoming a reality, which means its design must be several years old. This is more of a coincidence in timing (like most of your "predictions").

You can't confirm they did not know about the upcoming sequel when planning the coaster. Or that with Iger hyped on all franchises that this has a great chance of happening. ;) :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You can't confirm they did not know about the upcoming sequel when planning the coaster. Or that with Iger hyped on all franchises that this has a great chance of happening. ;) :lol:

Well, to be fair we've been hearing for some time now about a potential Monsters, Inc. coaster. Not a Monsters, Inc. 2 one......

SeaCastle

It got shelved awaiting the movies approval. The movie was greenlighted months ago but just announced. Yep, months ago. Right around the time work recommenced in sound stage 1. Conincidence?:shrug:

Remember when permits for demolition work were filed for Imagination and there was all of the hype about the refurbishment being imminent? That was three years ago. Preliminary work has been going on at the Soundstage since Pixar Place was built (from what I can gather).

By greenlighting the MI sequel Disney is giving it the franchise label. And I believe you will see Iger's vision become more and more forward looking. As in this case IMO.

If you noticed, the DAK Mysterious Island rumors ended about the same time the 20K film franchise was shelved. It's all connected and Iger has clearly explained this is his strategy.

"Franchise" is the new "synergy".

Mysterious Island is still awaiting the green-light. The plans weren't thrown out the window when the movie concept was. The movie was tossed in late 2009, Mysterious Island (or some form thereof) has been discussed for several years.

Brian_WDW74

JT where can i look at this strategy is there like a press release.....you have got me very intrigued!!!!

I'm not taking sides in this discussion, but I think one of the reasons for the "franchise" assumption is a Q&A that Bob Iger gave to Fortune Magazine in 2008. Here's an extract, in which I've highlighted the part that pertains to this thread:
Fortune: One of the decisions you made was to change the approach to managing these big franchises.

Iger: That was the result of a belief that these great character franchises were all brands unto themselves. But nobody was really managing those brands, and decisions were being made in a vacuum. So if we determine that "Toy Story" is a real franchise for the company, then "Toy Story" should get made. Now, you still have to have a great story and great execution - and in the absence of that, you shouldn't make it. And not everything has to be a franchise. I was recently asked whether "Ratatouille" was a franchise. I said no: "Ratatouille" is an extremely good animated film and will be a classic unto itself, but it is not a franchise. You are not going to see "Ratatouille" attractions in parks. When you look at "Toy Story," we're making our third film, we're opening two Toy Story Mania attractions at parks this summer, we have a very strong consumer products line, we have a "Toy Story" musical opening on the cruise line, we have a game in development - that's a franchise.

RSoxNo1

I'm not taking sides in this discussion, but I think one of the reasons for the "franchise" assumption is a Q&A that Bob Iger gave to Fortune Magazine in 2008. Here's an extract, in which I've highlighted the part that pertains to this thread:
Fortune: One of the decisions you made was to change the approach to managing these big franchises.

Iger: That was the result of a belief that these great character franchises were all brands unto themselves. But nobody was really managing those brands, and decisions were being made in a vacuum. So if we determine that "Toy Story" is a real franchise for the company, then "Toy Story" should get made. Now, you still have to have a great story and great execution - and in the absence of that, you shouldn't make it. And not everything has to be a franchise. I was recently asked whether "Ratatouille" was a franchise. I said no: "Ratatouille" is an extremely good animated film and will be a classic unto itself, but it is not a franchise. You are not going to see "Ratatouille" attractions in parks. When you look at "Toy Story," we're making our third film, we're opening two Toy Story Mania attractions at parks this summer, we have a very strong consumer products line, we have a "Toy Story" musical opening on the cruise line, we have a game in development - that's a franchise.

This comment started all sorts of controversy on here. For the most part, every Pixar movie has been considered a Franchise in some capacity. While something like A Bug's Life may not stand out as being franchise worthy, it has certainly spawned theme park attractions.

Having said that, I look at this as a "going forward" mentality. Is Up a franchise? Maybe not - sure it did great at the box office but beyond that it's not that marketable.

Cars did worse than Up in the box office, but it's a franchise because so many young boys have bedrooms full of cars merchandise. I would imagine that in the long run, Cars will make the company more money than Up (for the record, I just ended a sentence with a preposition while still having that sentence be grammatically correct).

2gether

Lotr

Most recognized? Maybe.

Best? Heck no. There's maybe 2 movies that I would consider anywhere near great that are sequels of original (aka not based off of something) movies: Aliens and Empire Strikes Back.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
Spiderman 2.
Toy Story 2.
Godfather part 2.
Star Trek 2, the Wrath of Kahn (not to mention the most recent Star Trek).
The Bourne Supremacy.
T2: Judgement Day.
Batman: Dark Night.

Sorry, but there are an awful lot of great sequels out there. I consider all of these better than the first in their series.

jt04

Original Poster
:rolleyes:

And you know this how?? Because the FL expansion came from above? All that means is that this one issue was seen in a different light between TDO and Glendale. Nothing more.

I wondered how long it was going to take before we saw something outragous from you again. Welcome back. Slow at work for you too??

Edit to add: I love how your tune has COMPLETELY changed on the SM refurb. You were singing its praises (and TDO's as well) for MONTHS before the refurb.

Actually I advocated for a single tracked launched coaster with all new effects in the manner of DL but on a larger scale. But once the FLE was announced I finally saw the big picture (and please don't tell me they are not related unless you can document it). There has been a change in how TWDC manages these big projects and I'm sorry if that is a problem for you. But SSE desents and SM on-the-cheap projects are in the past.

Now I see the silver lining in the SM refurb. Namely, it appears to me someone made the extra effort to improve the pre and post shows. And I'm convinced some folks appealed for a budget for those things and they should be commended.

Lastly, if they had gutted SM, we would have lost the sentimental qualities it retained. Folks here continually lament the loss of numerous attractions. From 20K to Horizons to JIYI, they never stop complaining. So, perhaps not gutting SM was the right choice. Although it wouldn't have been my choice.

So, if you are going to speak for me or tell me what you think I said, could you at least be accurate?:shrug:

jt04

Original Poster
Remember when permits for demolition work were filed for Imagination and there was all of the hype about the refurbishment being imminent? That was three years ago. Preliminary work has been going on at the Soundstage since Pixar Place was built (from what I can gather).

Mysterious Island is still awaiting the green-light. The plans weren't thrown out the window when the movie concept was. The movie was tossed in late 2009, Mysterious Island (or some form thereof) has been discussed for several years.

All projects appear to have been reeled in to be reevaluated when the one park concept went into effect including Monsters Inc. Now it appears it has emerged from this process, at least to me.

Mysterious Island is as dead as it gets, Even 74 said so and I guess he would know.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, perhaps not gutting SM was the right choice. Although it wouldn't have been my choice.
It was never the right choice. The past isn`t kept alive in a noisy, bumpy, lifeless fairground ride. The past should have been kept alive in a state of the art white knuckle dark ride with everything we know that was dropped whilst still nodding to the original with more than just the (welcome) Starport 75 theme.

jt04

Original Poster
Where have you heard this? What I read from insiders on here suggests the opposite.

I hope you are right as I love the concept although I have mixed feelings about it going into DAK. I have grown to the idea of it going behind Big Thunder Mountain at the MK in a throwback to a long lost Imagineering project. In any case, 74 claimed that when Joe went off to Hawaii any expansion at DAK was shelved. After he said that we found out the 20K film trilogy had been shelved. That is why I conclude it is not happening. Perhaps someone will chime in that it is on again. It could work, but it is a bit of a stretch for a land in DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom