MI2 Greenlighted! DHS Coaster Too?

RSoxNo1

That's funny. Jim Hill never criticizes the Disney company. I'm sure if I looked around here for 5 minutes I could find something about him being the most cynical Disney critic.

I'll continue to defend Jim, because I think he's worth defending. He has some incredible content on his website about the inner workings of the Disney company.

Part of the problem is that when you deal with rumors they are always subject to change. Steve (wdwmagic Steve) has taken the approach that he only wants to present things that are certifiable facts on his site. That makes things that he posts seemingly far more credible - and for a community that deals in absolutes, that may be smarter if you're trying to avoid backlash. However, sights like screamscape and jimhillmedia are sources for information that hasn't necessarily been certified by Disney. You have to be willing to take those concepts for what they are.

Does anyone here doubt the rumors that Jim Hill has posted from the standpoint that he simply made them up? I doubt it.

Krack

That's funny. Jim Hill never criticizes the Disney company. I'm sure if I looked around here for 5 minutes I could find something about him being the most cynical Disney critic.

I'll take that bet. You have 5 minutes ... go!

He may criticize something they've done in the past (generally in a "if only upper management had given enough money" *shakes head* way), but he never criticizes something contemporaneously; or says that something they are planning is a bad idea. For example, you'd never hear him say the Fantasyland Expansion is a bad idea (unless it's 10 years from now and it sucks). Or that Cars Land is a bad idea, or that the additions to DCA are poorly conceived, or that the Space Mountain and SSE refurbs were poor, or that the Next Gen queues are a bad idea.*

*Just to be clear, I'm not saying any of these are bad ideas (that's a completely different discussion), I'm just saying they are all debatable , yet you'd never hear a critical word from him about any of them.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'll take that bet. You have 5 minutes ... go!

He may criticize something they've done in the past (generally in a "if only upper management had given enough money" *shakes head* way), but he never criticizes something contemporaneously; or says that something they are planning is a bad idea. For example, you'd never hear him say the Fantasyland Expansion is a bad idea (unless it's 10 years from now and it sucks). Or that Cars Land is a bad idea, or that the additions to DCA are poorly conceived, or that the Space Mountain and SSE refurbs were poor, or that the Next Gen queues are a bad idea.*

And why should he or Al Lutz criticize additions and attractions still under construction?

Krack

And why should he or Al Lutz criticize additions and attractions still under construction?

I think everyone should feel comfortable praising that which they deem worthy of praise and critiquing that which they find criticism with - it applies to Jim Hill, Al Lutz, and everyone posting on this forum.

However ...

If all your information comes from "inside sources" at a company, and all you ever do is hype how everything that company does is great and wonderful and perfect, and you never ever point out things that company does that you disagree with, or critique them ... then that company better damn well have a perfect track record or I'm (and most other people are) going to consider you a shill for the company and someone who's information can't fully be trusted (outside of fulfilling the goals of the company).

In this instance, I think Jim's a shill for WDI and Walt Disney Pictures and I question the information he provides. When he tells me about this great Monsters Inc Coaster that has been designed and is wonderful and terrific, but it's not going to be built for awhile (if ever) - I ask myself, "Why does someone at WDI want me (and the online community) to think I'm missing out on something awesome?"

RSoxNo1

I think everyone should feel comfortable praising that which they deem worthy of praise and critiquing that which they find criticism with - it applies to Jim Hill, Al Lutz, and everyone posting on this forum.

However ...

If all your information comes from "inside sources" at a company, and all you ever do is hype how everything that company does is great and wonderful and perfect, and you never ever point out things that company does that you disagree with, or critique them ... then that company better damn well have a perfect track record or I'm (and most other people are) going to consider you a shill for the company and someone who's information can't fully be trusted (outside of fulfilling the goals of the company).

In this instance, I think Jim's a shill for WDI and Walt Disney Pictures and I question the information he provides. When he tells me about this great Monsters Inc Coaster that has been designed and is wonderful and terrific, but it's not going to be built for awhile (if ever) - I ask myself, "Why does someone at WDI want me (and the online community) to think I'm missing out on something awesome?"

Horrible example. If you want to use the Jim Hill is a shill for WDI argument, then Night Kingdom is a much more defensible argument.

The Monster's Inc Coaster appeared on both the cast member portal and on Jim's site, and the sources for both were different.

There is the possibility that people within Disney use Jim as a medium for throwing out possible ideas. Baseball teams would do this with reporter Peter Gammons for years. Having said that, I am presenting you with the information and the source - it is up to everyone on here to believe it or not.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

However ...

Well, first of all there's no need to curse.

Second, no company is going to have a perfect track record. Third, plans change, "insiders" become no longer privy to the right information, and projects either get sidelined or canceled altogether. Hill refusing to criticize Disney until a project is completed is simply waiting until all of the facts are in. To do otherwise is simply complaining for the sake of complaining......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom