HELP!! Hacker on my DD's Facebook.

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
HELP!! Hacker on my DD's Facebook/computer

We had a problem the other night where someone got onto my DD's facebook and was talking to some of her friends. We really thought that it was another friend who knew her information. Well, we changed the email address and password that night and today someone has hacked it again. So far, nothing has been said, that we know of, but we want this to end. They went in and read her email too.

Even if we close the account on facebook, if they know her username & password, they can just reopen it. It also looks like if we dont do something, it's going to continue. I really need some help.

My question is, how can I see if someone has hacked her computer? We have anti virus & other protection and it's new so I thought she was safe. Also, where you go to see all of the email addresses that have signed on to her computer, one shows up that we do not know. It just says "UNSPOKEN". What is that? We stayed at a hotel a few days before this happened & she was on her laptop. (??) I am wondering if this has anything to do with it.

Can someone advise me as to what I need to do. I am at a loss. I really need help tonight if you can.

Thank you.
Carla

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My account has been hacked.
If you believe your account has been hacked and you can still access y...
If you believe your account has been hacked and you can still access your login email address, you can secure your own account by resetting the password from this page: http://www.facebook.com/reset.php, or by selecting the "Forgot your password?" link that appears above the on the login page. An email will be sent to you with steps for completing the process.

If your account has been hacked and the login email on your account has also been compromised or has been changed by the hacker, please send us information about the account so we can look into it further and hopefully restore access. Please click here to submit your report.http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=15838

Andrew54

Change the email address that you have the account registered to. They are more likely getting the new password from there.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree with Andrew. It sounds as if someone has hacked her main email account thereby accessing all emails and new passwords.

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
My account has been hacked.
If you believe your account has been hacked and you can still access y...
If you believe your account has been hacked and you can still access your login email address, you can secure your own account by resetting the password from this page: http://www.facebook.com/reset.php, or by selecting the "Forgot your password?" link that appears above the on the login page. An email will be sent to you with steps for completing the process.

If your account has been hacked and the login email on your account has also been compromised or has been changed by the hacker, please send us information about the account so we can look into it further and hopefully restore access. Please click here to submit your report.http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=15838

we tried this but it went no where.

Change the email address that you have the account registered to. They are more likely getting the new password from there.

We did this the other night, and we just did it again. What worries me is that they are also reading her email with a different password, which is the new one she just made that night. I am really thinking that she has someone hacked onto her computer. What should I do?

Another thing... the only reason that we know about this today is because she recieved a text that said " Facebook Password reset code: XXXECTD. Or reset your password here: http:// facebook and so on. She just got another one too.

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
I agree with Andrew. It sounds as if someone has hacked her main email account thereby accessing all emails and new passwords.

So what should I do? She has removed it completely from facebook. It is a hotmail address. Should we go in and close the email address? Can you even do that?:veryconfu

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
Do you have a firewall installed?

I am not sure. I thought that is what Norton was. My DH was just running a scan on it and it is showing that the computer is "connected to a shared network".. Is that our home account, where we are using wireless, or something else?? This is freaking me out!

Also... how do I disconnect it?

SOMETHING else.... DH just found where there have been some intrusion attempts made but they were blocked. It also shows who it is, or some user name thing. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?? It has happened a few times in the past few days.

unkadug

If you think someone has hacked her computer, you must install a firewall. If you only think her email was compromised, I suggest closing/abandoning the hotmail account completely. Get her a new (real) email account, change her facebook email to her new account.

Still... install a firewall for protection anyway.

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
If you think someone has hacked her computer, you must install a firewall. If you only think her email was compromised, I suggest closing/abandoning the hotmail account completely. Get her a new (real) email account, change her facebook email to her new account.

Still... install a firewall for protection anyway.

I added to my last post that DH found an "Intrusion attempt" that was blocked. It has happened a few times in the past few days.

How do I install a FIREWALL?? Is it like Foxfire or something like that?

I just did a google search. Is ZoneAlarm a goodone?

unkadug

A lot of anti virus programs come with firewalls built in. What are you currently using?

If they don't include one, I suggest going to cnet.com / go to downloads / search for firewall.

A firewall will prevent unauthorized access to a computer via the internet.

unkadug

You know she could have downloaded a trojan. Possibly the trojan is a keylogger. Someone may be reading everything she types. Run a full antivirus scan immediately.\

Preferably in safe mode!

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
A lot of anti virus programs come with firewalls built in. What are you currently using?

If they don't include one, I suggest going to cnet.com / go to downloads / search for firewall.

A firewall will prevent unauthorized access to a computer via the internet.

I can't thank you enough for helping me with this. We will try that now and see what happens. The thing that I worry about is that it shows that she is connected to a "shared network". How do I make sure it is our home one & not someone outside our house?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If you're running Windows, go into Control Panel and open "Security Center".

This will show if you have an active firewall, automatic updates and spyware.

If you click on the firewall it'll tell you which one you have running or show you how to turn on the Windows firewall.

Yes, the free version of ZoneAlarm is quite good.

unkadug

go to control panel / click on network connections / see what's going on there.

see if windows firewall is turned on also.

jeffk410

I have links with facebook. If you write me a pm I can further discuss it and take care of everything for you.

From the soudns of it I really do not think anyone has hacked the computer.. That is fairly hard to do. My guess is someone found out her email and pw. It very well could have been from the hotel, but it would also surprise me if the hotel was not high tech enough. But if it is a FB issue PM me and I can take care of it.

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
We are still downloading the firewall. Thanks again for all of your help tonight. I don't know what I would do without you guys. :eek:

It also showed that a fake virus scan was downloaded on day. What is that & will this take care of it?

Goofy4TheWorld

You know she could have downloaded a Trojan. Possibly the Trojan is a keylogger. Someone may be reading everything she types. Run a full antivirus scan immediately.\

Preferably in safe mode!

This is exactly my first though when I read this. If you changed the email address and password, I can't think of another way someone could get the new information unless the computer has a Trojan that was reporting every keystroke back to the "bad guys."

Something this scary requires a full format and re-installation of Widows IMHO, even though a lot of people would say that is a little drastic.

fyn

Another thing... the only reason that we know about this today is because she recieved a text that said " Facebook Password reset code: XXXECTD. Or reset your password here: http:// facebook and so on. She just got another one too.

Where did she receive these messages? On facebook, a cellphone, email? Simply receiving those messages isn't necessarily indicative that the account has been hacked again.

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
This is exactly my first though when I read this. If you changed the email address and password, I can't think of another way someone could get the new information unless the computer has a Trojan that was reporting every keystroke back to the "bad guys."

Something this scary requires a full format and re-installation of Widows IMHO, even though a lot of people would say that is a little drastic.

I think this is exactly what is happening. I think I will need to take it to someone because this is way over my head.

Where did she receive these messages? On facebook, a cellphone, email? Simply receiving those messages isn't necessarily indicative that the account has been hacked again.

She got it on her cell from facebook. She found it odd and went to log on and her password had been changed again. She had to request her password and then she went back in & put a new email & a new password.

I tried to install the firewall & it did locate something but it wanted me to pay a fee to use it, even though it said it was free. Our Norton does have a firewall on it but guess what, it was not on. I didn't know to check that too when I installed it. :mad: This is such a pain in the neck! I think that I got the Norton firewall on but I am taking it to a computer guy tomorrow and let him see what he can do.

This is what I am worried about now, she gets online at home with our wireless. Is there anyway that they could have hit the other computers as well thru that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom