would EPCOT ever add a new pavillion?

castlecake2.0

I find World Showcase is lost on a lot of guests, who can't figure out why there are no thrill rides. It became very frustrating sometimes explaining to guests what World Showcase was all about. Favourite moment was showing a Guest a map of the showcase, explaining what there was to do in the different countries, then pointing out that she was currently in Canada, to that she said "I thought that was part of the states" to which I dropped the map and ewalked away...:brick:

I really wish people would take the time to experience how amazing this opportunity is. You have the chance to meet and talk to people coming from all over the world to share their cultures and history and give people a better understanding of the world, we're no just there to tell you where the bathrooms or soarin' is, we are your hosts to a world of discovery...

end of rant

bingie

Not for the ride control it is a completely different system, but for area development, bgm, audio control is basically the same system. But there is old control cabinets in storage for Horizons, World of Motion, Kitchen Kabaret, etc. Many pavilions still use the same old technology so they are ready spares.

Actually, there is an old Horizons show control cabinet in One Man's Deam at the Studios (next to the animatronic display).

The "Horizons" on the top of the cabinet has been almost scribbled over with marker.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah I think Disney is only interested in the biggies, with big tourism. They are kinda closing their own window on opportunity really with that. They wanted Spain, Australia etc etc but those didnt come through with the financial backing. Smaller ones like South Korea have come forward but Disney turns them down. Kinda a shame. I know UK is already represented but I still think a big new Ireland pavilion would be a massive draw. Especially if an attraction were included. The Ireland Tourism board has a very large marketing presence here in the US as well. Scotland too which was rumored back around 2000, but Ireland on its own would really lure guests.

Well, Scotland could be a problem as it does form part of the UK (along with England, Wales and Northern Ireland), but the only really issue with an Ireland pavillion would be that it might be seen as too similar to the UK as it is an independent nation in its own right.

I personally think an Ireland pavillion would be wildly popular as a lot of Americans have and are very proud of their Irish heritage. It is also a country that about which I suspect most people have pretty positive feelings. Ireland is currently in a pretty deep recession, though, so if someone is going to fund a new pavillion it isn't likely to be the Irish government.

MythBuster

Most of the pavilions used to have a Tourism Bureau desk where they had maps and info about the country and a cast member there explaining and answering questions.

TalkingHead

I find World Showcase is lost on a lot of guests, who can't figure out why there are no thrill rides. It became very frustrating sometimes explaining to guests what World Showcase was all about. Favourite moment was showing a Guest a map of the showcase, explaining what there was to do in the different countries, then pointing out that she was currently in Canada, to that she said "I thought that was part of the states" to which I dropped the map and ewalked away...:brick:

I really wish people would take the time to experience how amazing this opportunity is. You have the chance to meet and talk to people coming from all over the world to share their cultures and history and give people a better understanding of the world, we're no just there to tell you where the bathrooms or soarin' is, we are your hosts to a world of discovery...

end of rant

You could write copy for Disney PR.

I can never get past the feeling that World Showcase is just a delusional attempt to make rube tourists feel like they're world travelers.

I doubt any of the pavilions "represent" these other countries' cultures any more than the American Adventure "represents" (i.e. sentimentally oversimplifies) the culture of the United States.

aladdin2007

Most of the pavilions used to have a Tourism Bureau desk where they had maps and info about the country and a cast member there explaining and answering questions.

True I miss that aspect. It made it more authentic and unique. Now they are just stripping them down to focus on shopping eating and kid stations. Even live entertainment like in Norway was cut.

Sir_Cliff

You could write copy for Disney PR.

I can never get past the feeling that World Showcase is just a delusional attempt to make rube tourists feel like they're world travelers.

I doubt any of the pavilions "represent" these other countries' cultures any more than the American Adventure "represents" (i.e. sentimentally oversimplifies) the culture of the United States.
I don't think it's quite as worthless as that... but is beginning to seem more and more like a nicely themed mall as the years go by with few updates beyond food and retail.

It could be a fun way to get a taste of different countries in a world's fair kind of way where a country is involved in how it chooses to represent itself which, if nothing else, tells you about the idea identity that different states aspire to both internally and externally, but it increasingly seems as though the countries have lost interest and so Disney's focus is on themed retail and dinning experiences where they can generate more revenue. I think Disney itself probably needs to become more involved in re-energising the experience if it wants to generate more enthusiasm from host countries and it probably has to present them with better deals than it currently does.

atsolomon

I would love to see some new countries represented in the World Showcase -- and to see some depth added to the existing pavilions. I wouldn't be surprised to see Russia pay for a pavilion.

I wish that the Millennium Village had been made into a permanent exhibit. There were places to buy food, talk to people from other countries, including really small ones like Eritrea. In a footprint smaller than a regular pavilion, you got the chance to learn a bit about a lot of places.

rkelly42

I still think they should add Russia, Greece or since there is no South American representation how about Brazil. For the time being with the way economies are right now I am happy with them just doing some updating to the existing countries.

Figment632

I still think they should add Russia, Greece or since there is no South American representation how about Brazil. For the time being with the way economies are right now I am happy with them just doing some updating to the existing countries.

There already is a huge Brazilian presence in the parks :lookaroun

GrumpyFan

It seems to me that it would be a great idea if Adventures by Disney would move into World Showcase and represent the pavillions where they have tours in those countries.

I think what Epcot/Disney needs is an "evangelist" sort of person in the company who can show the kind of excitement, passion and bold vision for the company as Walt did. Nobody, including countries, is really interested in investing the kind of money they used to and get the kind of return that they would with being associated with the Disney company. If Disney had someone who could do this, I think it would go a long way to re-building the parks. The closest personality type to Walt in this generation would be Steve Jobs. He has that kind of passion and vision that everybody wants to be associated with. Disney needs a personality like this.

devoy1701

That's very ambitious! I wonder where WDI would have found room for all those pavilions though? :veryconfu Looking at Google Earth, the only site that seems large enough is the Outpost, which might be able to hold 2, although others may be able to be shoehorned between 2 current pavilions, like France and Morocco.

And as I understand it, this is the real problem. Disney wants the country to pay a significant portion of the construction as a sort of tourism sponsorship like thing.

Countries that have paid have not been overly impressed with the extra visitors their pavilions have generated.

not to mention only one pavilion is sponsored by its host nation....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom