WDW 2010: Same old pixie dust?

KingdomHeart

A lot of WDW may be the same old/same old, but I still enjoy spending time there with my family.

Truly! That's really the point! We know nothing new is coming, but my fiance and I are looking forward to going for a short trip in the fall next year. It may be the same old pixie dust, but its the still the best out there.

-Nicholas

DisneyGigi

It may be the same old pixie dust, but its the still the best out there.

-Nicholas

Same old Pixie Dust is better than no pixie dust... I am very excited with the new FL and ST2 announcements but it is the things that are the "same old pixie dust" that keep me going back. I think it is great when new things are added but I love what is there now too!

Atomicmickey

I for one am glad that there isn't much going on in 2010. It means I can hold my desire to go back for just a little while, lol.

Have they traditionally opened something new every year? I'm sure that's not exactly the case.

With the economy doing what it has been, they've been being smart, and will probably emerge stronger in the long run. I would think it unseemly for them to rush a few things out in order to compete with Harry Potter. I think it's pretty obvious by now that they are not going to try to do that.

In any event, it's much easier for me to save now that I know I have until 2013 to do it . . . :)

Frankly, having been back there two weeks ago, it is really great to see them doing a lot of "the little things" and focusing on the basics. Those basics are what makes the BIG difference between WDW and other parks such as Universal, in my opinion.

jmmc

Wow, what a negative thread to start. We got the recent announcement of a major MK expansion and the Star Tours update, and I admit I was kind of surprised. In the middle of a terrible economy, Disney announces bigger plans than I ever expected to see. How can that translate into it being bad that we don't have something new in one specific year, if we do have it in 2011 and 2012? Come on, people. Does DW really need a big, brand new attraction or expansion EVERY year? Most people aren't annual visitors who get bored if they don't get a new e-ticket once a year. And all these little refurbs we're getting have to count for something. The parks don't seem to be getting as neglected as they seemed to have been in recent years.

Personally, I continue to not understand how people seem to think Universal attracting some new guests due to Harry Potter being some terrible thing if Disney doesn't "fight back". Disney will not be in danger of going out of business because some visitors spend a little more time at Universal. If I prefer Disney, I still get to go there, don't I? Heck, maybe Harry will bring is Disney fans shorter lines. :)

Like any "fans" of anything -- be it TV shows, movies, comics, etc -- Disney has people for whom nothing is good enough. The beginning of a major expansion to a park that hasn't really had any in a long time is announced, and the reaction is, "Why can't we have something a year earlier?"

With the economy, things could have been a LOT worse. Lighten up!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
To me, sometimes simply maintaining the status quo is change enough. Instead of feeling the need to bring something about in 2010, it appears WDW is content to undertake smaller rehabs and refurbs between now and 2011. To me, the fact that WDW is seeking to make even minor upgrades and refurbs across the parks while undertaking the FL expansion is a good thing to me.

Skyway

We got the recent announcement of a major MK expansion and the Star Tours update, and I admit I was kind of surprised. In the middle of a terrible economy

Those two attractions are 3 and 2 years away, respectively.

That means 2 or 3 years ago, nothing was planned for 2010. And that's when the economy was still good.

Even a significant rehab of an older attraction, like Hall of Presidents, has been taking about 8 or 9 months.

For any "classic" to get a rehab by the time 2010 ends, they need to close it in the next 3 months. I don't see that happening.

I don't see why the OP is being attacked as "negative". He posed a simple question, and not a single person can answer it.

TinkIce

I'm glad that there's not anything new coming in 2010. It's already hard enough for me and my family to get to do and see everything we want at the parks; adding new stuff only adds to the list of "things to see while at Disney". I still haven't been able to visit Pixie Hollow since it was added, and I really want to be able to do that.

Brian_WDW74

I think we can count on the Narnia exhibit being closed, perhaps to be replaced with Prince of Persia. That should qualify as a minor attraction. :)

Mouse Man

When you look at the econmy and so many people out of work it is hard to perform an expansion. We are lucky that updates and furture expansions are under way. I look forward to going to WDW in 2010. So if there is nothing new so be it. Here's what I look forward to:

1) Staying at a WDW resort for 8 days and nights
2) Deluxe dining plan
3) Food and Wine Festival
4) Shows, Hoop dee do, Cirque
5) Looking at all the refurbs that I have not seen yet,
6) Seeing the future of whats coming being underconstruction
7) Just being in all the parks in general.
8) Meeting Mickey, Pluto and Minnie again.
9) EPCOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10) Riding all the rides be it funny, scary or thrill.
11) Typhoon Lagoon wave pool
12) All the Firework shows and so on.
13) Going to Downtown Disney almost every night. My wife says I am like a big kid

There is so much to do, see, eat, shop and enjoy. I love the Pixie dust that we currently have and the new expansion will just make us come back again for more.

Now look at Universal, there attendance is down, near broke and Comcast might own 50 % of the park not to mention NBC. Lets see what that will do. Then think that Harry Potter is going to re-use two existing rides. I just don't see Universal keeping up in the long run. Disney is getting smart again and spending wisely for today and for the future.

Lastly, I have always loved for the most part the customer service of Disney. So if there is really nothing that much new in 2010 that is just fine with me. I plan on having one hell of a great time.

SirGoofy

Now look at Universal, there attendance is down, near broke and Comcast might own 50 % of the park not to mention NBC. Lets see what that will do. Then think that Harry Potter is going to re-use two existing rides. I just don't see Universal keeping up in the long run. Disney is getting smart again and spending wisely for today and for the future.\

Sure, ignore the fact that once Potter opens, IOA will have the two best themed attractions in the world.:rolleyes:

As for the OT, there have been plenty of years since the parks opened where nothing new opened. This is much ado about nothing.

WDWFigment

Asbestos-free Space Mountain? :lookaroun

I think this is probably about it. Whatever, if any, changes come to the Skyway building, too. Isn't Splash also getting a longer refurbishment, as well? My guess is that any changes there won't be something guests will notice, though.

Obviously nothing major will be coming, as it would already need to be in the mid/final stages to see a 2010 debut. Given the Fantasyland and Star Tours announcements and other work that has been done outside of Orlando, I think it seems Disney is finally trying to reverse a period of stagnation. However, the company can't expect to placate fans by essentially saying, "Yeah, we admit the parks have been getting stale, but just give us until 2012. Then we'll be awesome. Oh, but keep giving us your money in the meantime." Some new minor things do need to be added/plussed in the interim.

Exprcoofto

Sure, ignore the fact that once Potter opens, IOA will have the two best themed attractions in the world.:rolleyes:
In my opinion they will not have the best two themed attractions in the world. They will have one decent themed attraction. But that's my opinion, you're stating your information as a fact, which is incorrect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom