Magic Kingdom was a wreck last week

yankspy

I was there last week, too, and I can confirm EE's sentiments, and not the OP's here.

If you really want to take the best path to law school, choose the easiest major possible, party throughout undergrad, and bank on doing exceedingly well on the LSAT.

Of course, if you don't want to bank on that, the best bet is to major in something besides a liberal art (so essentially, not a BS major) like engineering or meteorology. Law schools look more favorably at individuals who had difficult and/or intense majors. There is no major that prepares you 'better' for law school than any other, but only ones that prepare you for a certain workload and develop your critical thinking skills better.

For what it's worth, the former plan is much better, and more fun than the latter plan.
Quite an ignorant statement from someone who is usually so level headed and eloquent.

WDWFigment

Quite an ignorant statement from someone who is usually so level headed and eloquent.

My statements were sarcastic and tongue in cheek. With as much as college costs nowadays, it would also be unwise to ignore your coursework and party instead. I had two liberal arts majors in undergrad. My majors certainly furthered my critical thinking skills to an extent, but I think I would have been better prepared had I gone a different route. That said, I did a heck of a lot less work than my roommates who were engineers. Certainly you can put in a lot of work to any major, but the requisite level of work is generally lower for liberal arts majors. I think it is a fair assessment to say that you will generally have a more difficult time finding employment if you have a liberal arts major rather than one in a hard science. As with anything, there will be anecdotal evidence that contradicts this; I'm speaking in broad terms. I also know that law schools do look more favorably at individuals who majored in hard sciences because of the work load issue.

yankspy

My statements were sarcastic and tongue in cheek. With as much as college costs nowadays, it would also be unwise to ignore your coursework and party instead. I had two liberal arts majors in undergrad. My majors certainly furthered my critical thinking skills to an extent, but I think I would have been better prepared had I gone a different route. That said, I did a heck of a lot less work than my roommates who were engineers. Certainly you can put in a lot of work to any major, but the requisite level of work is generally lower for liberal arts majors. I think it is a fair assessment to say that you will generally have a more difficult time finding employment if you have a liberal arts major rather than one in a hard science. As with anything, there will be anecdotal evidence that contradicts this; I'm speaking in broad terms. I also know that law schools do look more favorably at individuals who majored in hard sciences because of the work load issue.
My apologies if they were sarcastic. I agree that in terms of employment liberal arts are at a disadvantage. That is the sad thing though. Somewhere along the line education became a step to a job. This is ludicrous. Liberal arts prepare you for life.

As far as difficulty, history majors probably do the most amount of writing than any other major. At my school, we were the only ones who had to do an undergrad thesis. Each Major has its challenges and merits.

As far as engineers, I had a bunch of them in Grad. school who did miserably when it came to things like non-Euclidean geometry. They were just so rigid and set in their ways.

Anyway, I apologize if my remarks were out of line.

P.S. Sorry for the complete drift everyone.

cdunbar

Haha, its pretty bad when were completely off topic and talking about first days of school and what kind of major is best for what. haha o well.:ROFLOL:

captainkidd

Original Poster
Some of you take your love for WDW WAY too seriously (and I thought I did.)

I don't care what any reports say - Several areas looked trashy. Not my problem if anyone else didn't notice them. Doesn't mean I'm making it up. A few examples (some I already pointed out):

-The walls at the que for Buzz were chipped up very badly.
-The castle has some rusting in the front to the bottom left of the clock.
-There was trash in several areas of Splash Mountain.
-There were at least a couple dozen lights out at the Emporium and Confectionery.

This may not be a big deal to most of you, but I'm just pointing out what I saw. I notice stuff like that. The reason I do is, I never saw any issues like that in the past. Whether some of you want to admit or not, Disney isn't keeping the parks as clean and maintained as they once were.

nybound

I was there last week with the family and thought Magic Kingdom looked just fine. Nothing really stood out as being "poor show."

For what it's worth, my degree is in Astronomy and Astrophysics (with minors in Physics and Theater).

captainkidd

Original Poster
I understand you had a less-than-spectacular vacation per your trip report. But must you b**ch about everything? :shrug:

Well, I can lie and say everything was perfect and rosey. Would that make you feel better?

I had a great time, don't get me wrong. I'm just pointing out that upkeep is lacking in several areas. Does it look better than your average amusement park? Of course. But it's Disney, and for all intensive purposes, it's their flagship park. It's always looked spic and span to me in the past, and simply didn't on this trip.

I don't see why some of you are getting your panties twisted. Just stating what I saw.

EPCOT Explorer

My apologies if they were sarcastic. I agree that in terms of employment liberal arts are at a disadvantage. That is the sad thing though. Somewhere along the line education became a step to a job. This is ludicrous. Liberal arts prepare you for life.

As far as difficulty, history majors probably do the most amount of writing than any other major. At my school, we were the only ones who had to do an undergrad thesis.

As far as engineers, I had a bunch of them in Grad. school who did miserably when it came to things like non-eucledian geometry. They were just so rigid and set in their ways.

Anyway, I apologize if my remarks were out of line.

P.S. Sorry for the complete drift everyone.
Not a problem....

As you can tell, I like writing a bit.:lookaroun:lol:

Some of you take your love for WDW WAY too seriously (and I thought I did.)

I don't care what any reports say - Several areas looked trashy. Not my problem if anyone else didn't notice them. Doesn't mean I'm making it up. A few examples (some I already pointed out):

-The walls at the que for Buzz were chipped up very badly.
-The castle has some rusting in the front to the bottom left of the clock.
-There was trash in several areas of Splash Mountain.
-There were at least a couple dozen lights out at the Emporium and Confectionery.

This may not be a big deal to most of you, but I'm just pointing out what I saw. I notice stuff like that. The reason I do is, I never saw any issues like that in the past. Whether some of you want to admit or not, Disney isn't keeping the parks as clean and maintained as they once were.

You do realize this all contradicts itself, right? You notice all the little tiny flaws but call us out for taking WDW too seriously?

I think you are...I saw none of these things..and I was looking for them.:shrug::wave:

captainkidd

Original Poster
You notice all the little tiny flaws but call us out for taking WDW too seriously?

I think you are...I saw none of these things..and I was looking for them.:shrug::wave:

I take WDW VERY seriously, but I can admit when things don't look good or aren't 100%, and don't get offended by it. I defend Disney almost all of the time, but the fact is, I could see some signs of slipping in upkeep. That's all.

captainkidd

Original Poster

You saw no damage on the walls of the que at Buzz Lightyear?
You didn't see the fake facades in front of the Arcade on Main Street that has been there since January?
You didn't see lights out on Main Street?

I can certainly believe all of this, but not if you were looking, as you say.

EPCOTPluto

The same 2 facades up on Main Street that were there in January, were still up last week? What could they possibly be doing to these buildings? Are they falling down?

It's a shame to see what the Magic Kingdom is starting to look like. The queue area for Buzz is in shambles. Splash Mountain had trash all over it, and was leaking water everywhere. There were dozens of lights out all over Main Street. The exterior of Space Mountain has had no work done to it and looks filthy as always. The clock was broken on the Main Street Railroad Station a couple times. Cobwebs and chipped paint over the entrance turnstiles. The A/C wasn't turned on in half the stores and attractions.
Truthfully, I go to enjoy the parks. Most of these things I will never notice whenever I actually am in MK.

That's why there's WDWMagic. :lookaroun:lol:

Plus, everything will be better by 2011. :animwink::p

EPCOT Explorer

I take WDW VERY seriously, but I can admit when things don't look good or aren't 100%, and don't get offended by it. I defend Disney almost all of the time, but the fact is, I could see some signs of slipping in upkeep. That's all.

Ok, NOW I understand. Sorry if I trod on some toes.

I feel the same way...and did the same thing. I'm just a little shocked at the MSUSA and trash complaints. It was fine a week ago. Lights burn out quickly, afterall, and it has been busy in the MK, this week.:shrug:

What did you think of ALand and it's upkeep, BTW?:wave: I have...um...interesting thoughts on it.

SirGoofy

You didn't see the fake facades in front of the Arcade on Main Street that has been there since January?

:rolleyes:

Please. They are actually doing work that needs to be done to FIX things and you're going to complain? Grow up.

As for the rest, the MK has looked better the past 6 months than I've seen it in years. Not everything has been fixed, but they are working on it. I think you need to take a small chill pill.

jeffk410

I was there last week. And ya there was some construction on mainstreet , but overrall i think it looked pretty great.....:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

You saw no damage on the walls of the que at Buzz Lightyear?
You didn't see lights out on Main Street?

I can certainly believe all of this, but not if you were looking, as you say.

Buzz-Yes...I mentioned that in the TR. Link in my sig.
Facades- Yes I have no problem with them, however. They are there for a purpose, and the MK would be worse off without them.
Lights- Nope. MSUSA looked FINE when I was there. I was shocked.

Maybe they burnt out quickly?

Other reports that it's been looking better, too, as said.:shrug: Could have been a off day for you.

captainkidd

Original Poster
:rolleyes:

Please. They are actually doing work that needs to be done to FIX things and you're going to complain? Grow up.

As for the rest, the MK has looked better the past 6 months than I've seen it in years. Not everything has been fixed, but they are working on it. I think you need to take a small chill pill.

:lol:

I'm completely chilled. Take some of your own advice.:wave:

Sorry, I don't agree with you. I thought parts looked crappy. I'm not complaining that things are being fixed that need to be. I'm simply saying I think it's crazy that it takes 8 months to do some work on the outside of a building.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Could have been a off day for you.

We were there 5 days over a 2 week period.

The trash on Splash isn't really Disney's fault. People are pigs and throw crap everywhere. I'm certain Disney goes through daily to clean it up.

Here's the thing - I spent 3 days at Universal where everything looked brand new. Literally. Little silly things like the bars in que lines looked like they had been freshly painted on every ride. At Disney, on several rides, they were all chipped up. It's not a big deal, but when I started to really compare the condition of both parks, to my shock, I though Universal was doing a much better job.

EPCOT Explorer

:lol:

I'm completely chilled. Take some of your own advice.:wave:

Sorry, I don't agree with you. I thought parts looked crappy. I'm not complaining that things are being fixed that need to be. I'm simply saying I think it's crazy that it takes 8 months to do some work on the outside of a building.

The work is quite extensive from what I hear. Would you rather have a rushed job?

WDW1974

What a fun thread. Gonna miss these when life, business and trips to DLP and DL tear me away from this magical place!

First, perceptions can be altered by many factors. I have a great deal of respect for young Evan (and he knows that) but the fact he hasn't been to WDW in three years can make someone focus more on what's great about the place.

I remember my first visit in years to DL and my first visit to DLP period. Both places were falling apart in so many ways. I noticed them ... and wasn't happy about them ... but I let the pure joy of being at those parks take the lead over my negative perceptions.

Also, in one day, people can have vastly different experiences in the same park, on the same attractions and in the same restuarants.

An attraction can look great at 9 a.m. but be a disaster at 7:11 p.m. ... but then someone comes in and cleans it and you walk in at 8:00 and it looks great again.

A lot of things can affect how a place looks ... or how one perceives reality.

And as for education, considering the REAL state of the economy, I'd advise anyone to spend as much time in school as they can ... stack the degrees up, gain the knowledge of many different subjects, travel as much as you can.

I'd also advise against law ... but that's because 97% of the lawyers I have met are scum (nicest way I can put it) and no matter what someone's intentions are it doesn't really matter in the end. People think our healthcare system is a corrupt mess? (it is, that was rhetorical) ... well, it still has nothing on our legal system.

Hope Evan decides to put his brain and talents toward something else ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom