Disney discontinuing resort specific merchandise.

s8film40

Original Poster
I was talking with a manager at a resort gift shop and she said that Disney was in the process of discontinuing all resort specific merchandise. She said once everything that was left in their inventory was gone it would not be replaced. She said that due to smaller production runs the profit margin on resort specific items is less than items like mickey shirts.

Ausdaddy

I was talking with a manager at a resort gift shop and she said that Disney was in the process of discontinuing all resort specific merchandise. She said once everything that was left in their inventory was gone it would not be replaced. She said that due to smaller production runs the profit margin on resort specific items is less than items like mickey shirts.

If true, that really stinks. Gotta love "Disney Parks"!

Lucky

OK, but now the production run is 0. And people who would have bought resort-specific items aren't likely to say "I'll just buy one more generic Mickey shirt instead."

If the profit-margin logic were taken to its extreme, Disney would sell nothing but soda.

EPCOTPluto

And there goes any hope for more EPCOT related stuff. :(

Unless you mean the hotels, so...

There goes any hope for more Polynesian Resort merch. :(

tirian

That's odd, considering that land-specific T-shirts are becoming popular again at the MK. New merch features Frontierland maps, AL and FL posters, and (coming soon) TL Space Mt. stuff.

I don't work in merch, but I suspect they're overhauling resort-specific merchandise, not getting rid of it altogether. Maybe it will just be a much smaller selection. Cast Connection, the WDW CM-only outlet store, is always full of unsold resort T-shirts and hats.

tirian

The OP refers only to the hotels, not the parks; and they're probably going to keep the Christmas ornaments. :rolleyes:

s8film40

Original Poster
OK, but now the production run is 0. And people who would have bought resort-specific items aren't likely to say "I'll just buy one more generic Mickey shirt instead."

If the profit-margin logic were taken to its extreme, Disney would sell nothing but soda.
I agree but you never know Disney seems to have an ability to sell anything.

She said it was just the hotels, not sure if they would move this type of logic over to the parks merchandise but hopefully not.

tirian

I agree but you never know Disney seems to have an ability to sell anything.

She said it was just the hotels, not sure if they would move this type of logic over to the parks merchandise but hopefully not.

Merch sales are extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely low right now. Probably a combination of the recession and overpriced goods.

Did I make my point? ;)

RiversideBunny

Actually the pricing is a good point.
Whenever I have considered buying a resort specific shirt, the price was approaching ridiculous so I put it back on the rack.

:)

tigsmom

Resort specific is what we usually buy now, we have enough generic Mickey things, thank you very much. I think this is a poor decision on the part of management. :(

EPCOT Explorer

Very odd! I was just up there and I saw a TON of resort specific items.

Lame... no more Poly merch :(
They had a TON of pins.:shrug:
That's odd, considering that land-specific T-shirts are becoming popular again at the MK. New merch features Frontierland maps, AL and FL posters, and (coming soon) TL Space Mt. stuff.

I don't work in merch, but I suspect they're overhauling resort-specific merchandise, not getting rid of it altogether. Maybe it will just be a much smaller selection. Cast Connection, the WDW CM-only outlet store, is always full of unsold resort T-shirts and hats.
Good to hear...

mousefan1972

Resort specific is what we usually buy now, we have enough generic Mickey things, thank you very much. I think this is a poor decision on the part of management. :(

I agree. Pretty much the only things we buy now are resort specific. I really hope this isn't the case.... :(

RoRo

This sucks, but at my local Disney store they sell stuff from the parks and resorts like Valentine Day LE Figments and other resort logo stuff :D.

freediverdude

If this happens, I will be REALLY ticked off. If I'm paying the bucks to stay at one of those Disney resorts, I want to be able to get a t-shirt for it. They already have reduced most of the other gift shops in the parks to the same 10-15 t-shirts in every shop. This will lead to less sales, not more.

If this is true, it really stinks. We always get something resort specific to take home with us. Im not interested in the same junk at all the resorts:(

prberk

Amen.

This is nothing more than an extension of the fact that you see the same generic character merchandise throughout the parks, too. Remember when the magic shop actually had unique merchandise? (Same for "lands" throughout WDW.)

THAT is why merchandise sales is down. I'm not going to buy the same Mickey shirt today in the Poly that I saw yesterday at DHS (and which I didn't buy there, either, because I looked at it at MK the previous day and decided it was too much like the one I bought last year)....

Now, unique merchandise representing my resort from THIS year, I would consider. As I would other unique merchandise.

Paul

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom