Monorail Accident

radiohost

I'd be willing to bet he was working a double shift, possible worked one the day before as well. As for the rest, everything is recorded so they will know the exact sequence of any overrides, disables, alarms, etc.

Correct...

Every button he pushed, every alarm AND voice communication was recorded and saved. They will know fully what happened here.

mikeymouse

Unreal! Wish I could have been there to assist. Looks like the pilot didn't have a chance. RIP I'll bet he fell asleep at that time.

CaptainMichael

While I understand the thoughts here about "not letting guest's return to the front of the Monorail"...
IMHO, I don't really see how that has any bearing on THIS crash as there were no guests up front with the driver, distracting him, or otherwise. With that said, "guest's" were not the cause of this accident (as it stands with what we know right now).

Guest's have been riding 'up front' for the past how many years now?...and there hasn't been a "distraction" accident. While the crash would have been much much much worse had there been guest's up front, it just doesn't make sense to say that they will 'ban' all guest's from up front.

I think it would be more for guest safety than "distraction". Imagine if 5 guests were in the front cabin and everyone died...a terrible, horrible, evil thought I know...but you gotta look at it from legal's perspective.

I admit as well, I'll be taking the ferry for a while, even after the monorail system opens back up. It would be too emotional for me to get onto a monorail right away...
Always take the ferry :)

I was a Transportation Cast Member in 2007 in Watercraft, and still I was trained in the basic operations of monorails.

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN!

The monorail computer goes nuts when it gets to close to another monorail. It does not happen, impossible. This driver was asleep or worse did somthing I pray would not be the case.

Prayers for his/her family!!
Exactly, I got to drive a train once and was amazed by all of the safety precautions. You can't do anything without the computer beeping at you.

Don't know if they are using more than the usual number of ferry boats on the lagoon, though I would think they are.
We only have 3. We need more.

Ok....

21 Years Old

+

Operating a Monorail at 2AM

=

No doubt he was in the Disney College Program. I was in the program in 2007 in Transportation and worked the same late late shifts.....

Prayers go out!
Probably, but please don't anyone read into him being a CP in a negative light. Most pilots and castmembers in general on the nightshift are. We're just as good if not better than "older" cast members.

Me too. You would think they would want people with so much responsibility to be much more experienced. I would have thought to be a driver you would have had to be with the company at least 5 or 6 years and have a proven record of reliability.

Not saying a 21 year old can't handle the responsibility but it seems Disney would demand people who have proven themselves reliable over many years. I'm also not blaming the driver but his age does concern me.
Like I said above, age shouldn't be a factor in this discussion. We all receive the same training. It could happen to anyone.

This is very sad. My Heart goes out to all involved. My Prayers are will the family, friends, and cast members of the driver.
Watercraft and Monorail cast are very close to each other (we share the same space in the TTC basement). Truly a sad day for "MonoCraft"...wish I was there to help out:(

The Mom

Premium Member
I respect your opinion, but the fact remains that this has hit the news, and the majority of the posters are trying to discuss this maturely like adults.

I'm afraid I'm a bit sensitive about this sort of thing (speculating about suicide) since I've experienced the loss of four young people from falling off of rooftops/balconies; one was a suicide, three were due to bad judgement ( 1.drunk 2. locked himself out and tried to climb back in 3. climbed up to roof after striking head earlier, and after drinking), but someone from the outside who did not know all of the details could certainly speculate that they were all suicides.

disnyfan89

This is so sad. I feel awful for the cast member, his family, and the whole monorail team. I want to say this could have been so much worse, but that cheapens the fact that a CM did die.

It is too early to come to a conclusion on what happened. It angers me to see postings from people trying to guess if this was intentional. The CM hasn't even been dead for 12 hours and some are trashing this kid's name. He doesn't deserve this.
It is indeed tragic that a life was loss, however, I guarentee that there is a professional investigating team at WDW right now asking the same questions we are. Was it an accident? Was it human error or mechanical? How did all safe guards fail? Did they fail? It's all apart of human nature and our quest for information. In an accident such as this, no idea can be ruled out. That's life.

hardcard

It is indeed tragic that a life was loss, however, I guarentee that there is a professional investigating team at WDW right now asking the same questions we are. Was it an accident? Was it human error or mechanical? How did all safe guards fail? Did they fail? It's all apart of human nature and our quest for information. In an accident such as this, no idea can be ruled out. That's life.

Agreed... again, I HATE to say human error, and blame the CM... but with a system that is proven for 38 years, and has multiple safety contraints to prevent this, the most 'basic' of problems (basic, in that the possibility of 2 trains colliding is the easier scenario to plan for based on the factors involved)....

I don't want to smear the CM's name, not at all.. But if it quacks like a duck (which has NOT been determined) then it's a duck.

TP2000

What a sad accident. It will be interesting to see what happened exactly to cause this.

I also wonder how quickly they will be able to get the Monorail system up and running again this week? Those buses are no fun.

hardcard

Do you really think that's appropriate?

yeah, it was crass,but I understand the point.. You are many times more likely to die in the car ride to disney than to have this ever happen to you..

So why avoid something that is so much fun and enjoyable?

But again, he could have said it better :)

hardcard

What a sad accident. It will be interesting to see what happened exactly to cause this.

I also wonder how quickly they will be able to get the Monorail system up and running again this week? Those buses are no fun.

I would guess, based on past events, and other considerations that the Monorail system will be online running WITHOUT PASSENGERS some time in the next 24 hours.. And they will begin accepting passengers sometime after that..

First things first, after the investigation is done at the 'scene' the train will be towed back into the shop.

BadTigger

Agreed... again, I HATE to say human error, and blame the CM... but with a system that is proven for 38 years, and has multiple safety contraints to prevent this, the most 'basic' of problems (basic, in that the possibility of 2 trains colliding is the easier scenario to plan for based on the factors involved)....

I don't want to smear the CM's name, not at all.. But if it quacks like a duck (which has NOT been determined) then it's a duck.

I don't understand how this could be human error. The system is built in away that two trains should never be in the same zone, this has to have been a computer glitch or something else.

On a side note, I saw the video from the platform, why is it I only see one CM?? Also the video shows, something I always noticed when I was a CP years back, when something goes wrong CMs have NO CLUE what to do and end up focusing less on the problem at hand and more on some moron with a camera.

CaptainMichael

no we don't.. adding any more ferries would only slow the system down.. 3 for 2 docks is the max without losing load/travel time..

I respectfully disagree. I'm not saying run 4 at once, but it'd be nice to have an extra to pick up the slack when one needs some downtime. Also, ferries can dock at more than just TTC and MK (who both have 2 ferry docks)

jt04

Like I said above, age shouldn't be a factor in this discussion. We all receive the same training. It could happen to anyone.

If this is operator error you can bet age will be a factor in the future. As I said, it is possible for a 21 year old to be very responsible, but it is unlikely a 21 year old has a proven track record of reliability. There is a reason you have to be a certain age to drive a car or have other responsibilities. Experience and reliability have to be factored in. Especially when so much depends on that individual.

Not arguing with you so that ends it for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom