Monorail Accident

CaptainMichael

I have managed 21 year olds and training is not the be all/end all of the story no matter what discipline you are talking about. When you get older and especially if you have to deal with young people you will get what I am saying. :wave:

Again, considering I've worked alongside Watercraft and Monorail cast members, I think I know more about the quality of pilots and their corresponding ages than you do. It could happen to anyone.

disnyfan89

Here's a thought...

From the pictures I have seen, this monorail must have been traveling at a VERY high speed, forcing the damage it caused upon impact. No way was this monorail traveling at the speed they normally travel upon entry into any station.
There is very little information about the events before the accident. However a basic leason in physics could predict that a vehicle as large and powerful as the monorail could cause major damage even at slow speeds.

BadTigger

I've seen this a million times. Panic, lack of training, etc. I think they did what they could. There wasn't much they could do without rescue tools. :(

I understand there wasn't much that could be done in this case, but I've seen it tons of times when I worked there, there is such a lack of disaster training and when something goes wrong most(not all be most) CMs have no idea what to do and either take the "its not my job" or "I'm going to go sweep" approach. And I witnessed minor attraction issues, that didn't put people's life at risk and they would lose their minds.

donsullivan

Premium Member
One of the local TV stations is showing aerial footage of 'black-out' cloth being hung around the TTC monorail station. The trains are still in the station. It seems reasonable so that they could open up the rest of TTC including the bus terminal to the right of the monorail station to deal with the volume of guests during the busy summer season moving to-and-from Magic Kingdom. They could begin using buses between TTC and MK like they do on some of the very busy days of the year.

It will also allow them to thoroughly investigate things without moving the trains until they know exactly what happened and know they can be moved safely with damaging the beam as well. To get these trains back to the round-house is going to require going through 3 switches along the way and they certainly don't want to create any addition risk, or inflict any additional physical damage to any other part of the system.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I have managed 21 year olds and training is not the be all/end all of the story no matter what discipline you are talking about. When you get older and especially if you have to deal with young people you will get what I am saying. :wave:

Please don't stereotype based strictly on age. When I was 21 I was a full time student living in a dorm, had to keep almost straight A's to keep my full scholarship (3.75 GPA was required) and I was working 50 hours a week. To me, that's discipline.

My condolences as well to the CM's family and co-workers. I know a number of monorail CMs myself and can only imagine what they are going through.

mikeb_86

Very said to hear this as this is one of disney favorite transportation to get to MK, Epcot,GF,Polly, TTC,Contempory. I hope that disney takes thare time and finds out what happen and dont rush it back into service!!! Im so said!!!!

hardcard

There is very little information about the events before the accident. However a basic leason in physics could predict that a vehicle as large and powerful as the monorail could cause major damage even at slow speeds.

correct.. In a vehicular crash generally it's 'boom' and it's over.. in this case, the trains collided, and then the motors continued to 'drive' purple into the rear end of pink.. even if only for a split second or two, thats what happens.. a train crash and a car crash are very different in that there is a LOT more weight and momentum..

And for what it's worth, I've seen the trains come into the TTC and quite a clip before... As long as it's not overspeed, it's ok..

anyone that thinks this is based on age alone is foolish to do so.. I've seen MUCH less responsible 45 year olds than my own 9 year old..

MyLittleAngels

So put all young people in the same pot? We all procrastinate, act insolent, and listen to one type of music?

The OP never said this ...

However, the fact remains that most younger people are less considerate of the potential outcome of their actions. When I was that age, I did many things that now, 10 years and a decent amount of experience later, I wouldn't even dream of doing, because I'm more inclined to think ahead to all the possibilities. The younger you are, the less likely you are to think that tragedy could occur, instead of something that just looks cool.

In that direct line of thinking, DH and I stopped a potential tragedy at FW last night. A younger girl (11? 12?) got lost and panicked. In her panic, she darted right between us, and would have gone right in front of a bus. Thankfully, we both noticed her and grabbed for her, because there's no way that bus would have been able to stop in time not to clip her. After getting her to talk to me, we were easily able to find her family, but she on her own never would have stopped running and thought about how to find people logically.

Again, many 21 year olds are irresponsible. That doesn't mean all are, or that older people are also not irresponsible. And really, irresponsible is the wrong word .. Most 21 years olds are too focused on the "now", and not enough on the consquences. That, of course, DOES NOT mean this particular pilot was of the less responsible type.

Ceekling

In the wake of other train crashes, it has become common to rule out human error first. In fact, it's far easier to address that first because mechanical failures take a lot longer to investigate. After the DC Metro train crash two weeks ago, one of the first things that NTSB released was the fact that the train operator's cell phone was off and in her backpack and that the emergency brake had been pushed and was engaged. I'm not at all suggesting that human error is the fault here, but it's not unreasonable to consider that as a possible cause.

That said, I've seen a lot of discussion about how a mechanical failure is impossible on the Monorail. That was what Metro said as well; that it was a fail-safe mode of transportation. Relay-switches are meant to keep trains a certain distance from each other. As it turns out, maintenance was performed on one of the relay switches 5 days before the accident and it failed in such a way that it was virtually undetectable until the crash. The investigation is still on-going, but my point is that none of these systems are really fail-safe. But safe enough that I have no issue using the Metro system every day. And, hopefully, if the Monorail is up and running when we visit in two weeks, using it as well.

In the meantime, my thoughts are with the driver and his family. What a sad sad day for everyone involved.

Slipknot

It seems reasonable so that they could open up the rest of TTC including the bus terminal to the right of the monorail station to deal with the volume of guests during the busy summer season moving to-and-from Magic Kingdom.

The bus loop is being used by the emergency vehicles and not letting anyone, including Disney buses in.

bingie

I'm a bit confused...

The new reports the crash occured on the Epcot beam, and from the crash picture, it happened just outside the TTC.

art.monorail.disney.cnn.jpg

But from the home vide and some newer images of the same portion of the train, it looks like the train is in the TTC.

19955770_320X180.jpg

So, what's the timeline here?

Why and how did the trains get moved after the crash? From the first photo the crash was not in the station, and then the second photo and video indicates the monorail is in the station.

And the movement occured before Reedy Creek arrived? Can i assume this since they were not visible in the video as guests were trying to help the driver?

Or was the crash in the station and then later moved (pics are in the wrong order..)

Thoughts?

EPCOT Explorer

In the wake of other train crashes, it has become common to rule out human error first. In fact, it's far easier to address that first because mechanical failures take a lot longer to investigate. After the DC Metro train crash two weeks ago, one of the first things that NTSB released was the fact that the train operator's cell phone was off and in her backpack and that the emergency brake had been pushed and was engaged. I'm not at all suggesting that human error is the fault here, but it's not unreasonable to consider that as a possible cause.

That said, I've seen a lot of discussion about how a mechanical failure is impossible on the Monorail. That was what Metro said as well; that it was a fail-safe mode of transportation. Relay-switches are meant to keep trains a certain distance from each other. As it turns out, maintenance was performed on one of the relay switches 5 days before the accident and it failed in such a way that it was virtually undetectable until the crash. The investigation is still on-going, but my point is that none of these systems are really fail-safe. But safe enough that I have no issue using the Metro system every day. And, hopefully, if the Monorail is up and running when we visit in two weeks, using it as well.

In the meantime, my thoughts are with the driver and his family. What a sad sad day for everyone involved.
Perfectly said.

Thank you!

rct247

I was driving from Studios to Pop Century to pick up a roommate at 2:05am last night after work when I saw a few security vehicles fly down Buena Vista Drive. This also explains how my roommate said bus transportation back to our apartment was backed up due to traffic congestion.

I am very shocked by the news. I just hoping that the driver wasn't the guy I met on the bus at Casting when we got our job assignments. Everyone thought it was so cool he was going to be a monorail pilot. :(

Thoughts and prayers go out of course.

hardcard

This may a bit too early here, but keep in mind... Technically, once the investigation is complete on the trains themselves.. The system may only be down 1 train... They can 'easily' move the undamaged head car from pink or purple to the other trains and put it in service... Hell, it wouldn't take shops long to restripe the car to make it match...

Just a thought.

jt04

Please don't stereotype based strictly on age. When I was 21 I was a full time student living in a dorm, had to keep almost straight A's to keep my full scholarship (3.75 GPA was required) and I was working 50 hours a week. To me, that's discipline.

My condolences as well to the CM's family and co-workers. I know a number of monorail CMs myself and can only imagine what they are going through.

Please actually read my posts before proving my point. I very clearly said a 21 year old can handle the responsibility. BUT at 21 there is no way they have worked long enough for them to have PROVEN they are responsible enough. If this is operator error or operator misconduct, age has to be looked at as a factor. It's not a coincidence teenagers are involved in most car accidents.

EPCOT Explorer

This may a bit too early here, but keep in mind... Technically, once the investigation is complete on the trains themselves.. The system may only be down 1 train... They can 'easily' move the undamaged head car from pink or purple to the other trains and put it in service... Hell, it wouldn't take shops long to restripe the car to make it match...

Just a thought.

Hopefully.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom