Monorail Accident

Slipknot

Just drove by TTC and both monorails involved are still there. Emergency vehicles have taken over the bus loop for AK, Studios, etc. There should be more aerial videos coming soon because I counted at least 3 news helicopters in the vicinity. Don't know if they are using more than the usual number of ferry boats on the lagoon, though I would think they are.

hpyhnt 1000

I'll be on the system as soon as it reopens.. No doubt in my mind. I trust the system... I understand why you say you won't...... Hell, I'd love to be one of the first to ride on the newly refurbed purple or pink when they come back online..

Anyone else wonder if we might have seen the last of the colors pink and purple? Just wondering if they would bring them out with two new colors... :shrug:

mpaul32001

I kind of doubt that you actually remember that, but let's pretend for a second it's true. Tell us about him... was he... nice?

Well, I could link to his facebook profile, but I don't know how everyone would feel on that. All I can say I guess is that his profile picture and name matches with the name of the CM I saw last night...

If anyone thinks it's ok, let me know and I will...I guess it wouldn't hurt as the name has been released and the information is public anyway.

kymie

Wow Im shocked at how young he was! I think because of all the guessing of maybe heart attack or stroke etc I had a picture of an older CM. So sad.

Desperad07

I can tell you from personal experience, being in the public transportation sector, that Disney will not have the final say as to when the monorail will be put back into service ... both the NTSB (due to the fact that the area involved is public transport) and OSHA ( due to the death of an employee) will not allow the system to be put back in until an initial cause can be determined (human, mechanical, or a combination of both) ...

Right but far greater tragedies have occurred in the public transportation sector (i.e. DC MetroTrains, Staten Island ferry, plane crashes all the time, including 9/11) and these all got up and running in a shockingly quick manner.

disnyfan89

The Orlando Sentinel has released a name:

It is in fact the CM who loaded us in the wheelchair section last night at Epcot onto Monorail Purple...
Do we know if this was the driver of the moving or stationary Monorail and/or if he was driving monorail pink or purple? Also, have we figured out what cab the other driver involved was located in?

radiohost

Ok....

21 Years Old

+

Operating a Monorail at 2AM

=

No doubt he was in the Disney College Program. I was in the program in 2007 in Transportation and worked the same late late shifts.....

Prayers go out!

hardcard

She also noted that the over-ride is an active effort that requires significant force on behalf of the pilot to hold the button down for the duration of the over-ride. If the button comes back up, the over-ride is immediately cancelled.

That is 100% correct.. Which is why I would believe that it was done with intent.. Also, for the pilot to 'not see' the other train (blinking rear marker if nothing else) in enough time would require a GROSS speed overrun in the same area... the way the beam turns entering the TTC, thats all that would prevent the 'naked eye' from seeing it...

My feelings are that this is going to be pilot error, or intent... either way, no less tragic.

mpaul32001

Do we know if this was the driver of the moving or stationary Monorail and/or if he was driving monorail pink or purple? Also, have we figured out what cab the other driver involved was located in?

This was the driver of the moving monorail. The other driver was on the opposite side of the train and out of harms way.

If anyone wants me to remove this let me know. Now that Disney has released a name though, I see no harm in it because anyone could search for a facebook profile... He looks, and is a really swell guy.

Removed...I didn't know if it was appropriate or not. My judgement usually isn't the best in this area. I had good intentions...

jt04

Wow Im shocked at how young he was! I think because of all the guessing of maybe heart attack or stroke etc I had a picture of an older CM. So sad.

Me too. You would think they would want people with so much responsibility to be much more experienced. I would have thought to be a driver you would have had to be with the company at least 5 or 6 years and have a proven record of reliability.

Not saying a 21 year old can't handle the responsibility but it seems Disney would demand people who have proven themselves reliable over many years. I'm also not blaming the driver but his age does concern me.

hardcard

Logic would dictate that this was the driver of the moving train that was killed (purple).. The other pilot would have been on the opposite end of the stationaryu train (Pink) at the time...

SusanAnne

I'm just trying to understand this, so did they collide head on, or not? This is so very sad, I can not imagine what these families and co-workers are going thru today. So sad!

wickedfan07

Well, I could link to his facebook profile, but I don't know how everyone would feel on that. All I can say I guess is that his profile picture and name matches with the name of the CM I saw last night...

If anyone thinks it's ok, let me know and I will...I guess it wouldn't hurt as the name has been released and the information is public anyway.

Personally I don't think that is necessary or appropriate, but that's just me. I have no reason not to believe you were loaded by that CM at Epcot two hours before the accident, and I don't think anyone really needs to question you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom