Lame excuse for nightlife?

SirGoofy

I think people aren't giving this a chance. I think most of you havn't been there to see the crowd interactions and are judging this event on one or two you tube videos.

I also think that if John Lennon and George Harrison came back from their graves and joined the remaining Beatles for an accoustic jam session at PI some of you would STILL not be happy.

In short, for some of you, it doesn't matter who or what is going on at Pleasure Island. You won't be happy until it is back the way it was or at least until The Adventurers Club returns.

I'm not commenting on the interactive show at PI until I see it myself next May. Making judgement on a show you haven't experianced just seems short sighted, narrow minded and hypocritical to me.

If you can get zombie Lennon and zombie Harrison to play in PI I'll give you a cookie.

And personally, I don't see how you can defend the electric slide and the macarana when compared to an actual nightlife experience. It's an insult, and just another opportunity for Disney to shove it's newest marketing ploy down people's throats.

And we have first hand reports from people saying that people aren't really lining up to enjoy this "entertainment."

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
These guys are equity, and so were the AC actors. Other than tenure, why would it be any cheaper?

Well, I'm stumped then. I assumed DJ's and acrobats weren't equity, but if they are, I got nothin'.

I think people aren't giving this a chance. I think most of you havn't been there to see the crowd interactions and are judging this event on one or two you tube videos.

I also think that if John Lennon and George Harrison came back from their graves and joined the remaining Beatles for an accoustic jam session at PI some of you would STILL not be happy.

In short, for some of you, it doesn't matter who or what is going on at Pleasure Island. You won't be happy until it is back the way it was or at least until The Adventurers Club returns.

I'm not commenting on the interactive show at PI until I see it myself next May. Making judgement on a show you haven't experianced just seems short sighted, narrow minded and hypocritical to me.

You are correct of course that this thing hasn't had a chance yet. (Nor has the Stitch show in Tomorrowland, but people are killing that as well). And you are correct that it might turn out to be good. But that doesn't mean we aren't allowed to have thoughts about it based on what we've seen and heard so far. The phrase is "Open Mind", not "Empty Mind". I agree that "Closed Mind" without having seen it is going too far.

And of course you're also correct that some of us are particularly annoyed by this because it seems to be something of a replacement for something we know we like a lot. In that regard, perhaps we are being unfair. But wouldn't your hurdle for thinking that it was a good move to replace the Haunted Mansion with something new be a higher hurdle than if the same thing were replacing the Tommorowland Speedway, or Dumbo?

Scooter

If you can get zombie Lennon and zombie Harrison to play in PI I'll give you a cookie.

And personally, I don't see how you can defend the electric slide and the macarana when compared to an actual nightlife experience. It's an insult, and just another opportunity for Disney to shove it's newest marketing ploy down people's throats.

And we have first hand reports from people saying that people aren't really lining up to enjoy this "entertainment."

Apparently people weren't lining up to enjoy the entertainment at PI either. At least not the kind of people Disney wanted or at least not enough of them to make it profitable. I'm pretty sure that's why Disney execs decided to close it down.

They are trying to come up with something to entertain kids and familys who are celebrating special occasions. I say kudos for that...and I repeat...good or bad, I won't make judgement on it until I see it myself.

(in my best Forest Gump voice) "and that's all I have to say about thaaaat.":)

WDW1974

It doesn't make sense. Anyone who only loosely follows WDW can see how poorly PI was managed in its last 7-8 years. The times changed and PI not only didn't, it flailed around like a fish out of water.

So instead of fixing it, they closed it up and are doing something different. Only time will tell if the finished product is superior to the original.

wow! My buddy Jake with a post full of ... full of ... ah ... uhm ... oh ... ah ... common sense.

Read the thread with interest ... OK, semi-interest (kinda like back in high school with Stacy but ... ) and most of it is yet more rehash of another 654 threads here.

But the above does sum things up well. I am not optimistic about the future of TSFKaPI, but maybe they'll pleasantly surprise me.

~Virgin: Going Out of Business Sale Now On~

WDW1974

Apparently people weren't lining up to enjoy the entertainment at PI either. At least not the kind of people Disney wanted or at least not enough of them to make it profitable. I'm pretty sure that's why Disney execs decided to close it down.

They are trying to come up with something to entertain kids and familys who are celebrating special occasions. I say kudos for that...and I repeat...good or bad, I won't make judgement on it until I see it myself.

(in my best Forest Gump voice) "and that's all I have to say about thaaaat.":)

Just a question. If you see a field filled with cows on TV or the web, then do you have to experience it to know that it smells like *&%$?

~California Cows are Happy Cows!~

overdrive

Original Poster
Just a question. If you see a field filled with cows on TV or the web, then do you have to experience it to know that it smells like *&%$?

~California Cows are Happy Cows!~

Now that right there is funny! I think DTD is just continuing to give itself a black eye.

I would have to think Curl and HD are loosing a boat load of money, how long till they fold up. Looks like a slippery slope and this isn't helping to slow down the bleeding.

WDW1974

Now that right there is funny!

Thanks. I'll be here all week.

I think DTD is just continuing to give itself a black eye.

I would have to think Curl and HD are loosing a boat load of money, how long till they fold up. Looks like a slippery slope and this isn't helping to slow down the bleeding.

You bring up a good point. Indeed it is possible (no, I don't know critics but thanks for asking) that those locations threatened to pull out of their leases with Disney and this is some sort of stopgap move to try and attract more foot traffic to the area.

When they closed PI down the plan wasn't for everything to sit dead and that's what they sold the few tenants they have on. Now, you have absolutely nothing ... although the tequila bar opening should help some ... so I am sure folks have talked to their lawyers about getting out if they don't reach certain numbers.

~PI: Ghost Town Appearing Nightly!~

Lee

Adventurer
And a Cake Walk as well. Serenity Now!
Serenity anytime!
:cool:
463681730_ef0abc6406_m.jpg

SirGoofy

Oohh....I forgot.
Bonus points for the coolest role on the coolest ride in the park!
Well played, sir.:wave:

When I grow up, I wanna be a skipper, too.

:D

I love playing the skipper card. And I think you would fit in quite nicely at Jungle Cruise Navigation Co. Let's just say we were all heartbroken to lose our sister attraction over in PI.

SirGoofy

Yeah I would!
I got a ginormous one of these in my living room:
11143L.jpg

I've been wanting to pick one of them up. Any idea on where I can get one?

Besides, if he can do it, surely I can, too.
skipperjohnlasseter2.jpg

All bow down to the unquestioned lord and master of the Jungle Cruise! All hail The Lasseter!:king:

EDIT: Man Disneyland's JC costumes are so much better than ours. I'm jealous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom