Spaceship Earth Mural

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Hey everyone!

Spaceship_Earth_Classic_016_082005.jpg

We all know the SSE Mural. Standing at the entrance to SSE and essentially EPCOT it essentially, tells the story of not only the attraction but the entire message of EPCOT. It's been there since the opening of the park in 1982 and unchanged. I know most of us were worried that it would be painted over when Siemens refurbed SSE in 2007.

However, we know essentially nothing about it. Who painted it? Whose idea was it to include it? Has it ever been refurbed?

Hope you have the answers!:wave:

SirNim

I remember watching a video with an interview of the artist who painted it... Think it's on YouTube... I'm looking for it now. :)

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
I remember watching a video with an interview of the artist who painted it... Think it's on YouTube... I'm looking for it now. :)

I miiight know what you are talking about...But I think that was McCall's Horizons mural. (Prologue and the Promise!)Either way, I haven't seen either in years.

Thanks!:D

SirNim

It was definitely the Spaceship Earth mural. The artist had a European accent... I think he may have been Italian or something... Don't quote me. But definitely European.

I hope the video wasn't removed from YouTube... If that was indeed where I saw it. It may have been on the Tomorrowland DVD, though...

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
It was definitely the Spaceship Earth mural. The artist had a European accent... I think he may have been Italian or something... Don't quote me. But definitely European.

I hope the video wasn't removed from YouTube... If that was indeed where I saw it. It may have been on the Tomorrowland DVD, though...

Ah, then it's definitely SSE. McCall is American I believe.

I don't think it was the TL DVD...That has the EPCOT Film on it but that's about it EPCOT wise...I think.

Expo_Seeker40

Yup the mural was painted by a foreign artist, I believe from Europe.

I think the mural was "cleaned" during the 1994 refurb, and to me, the mural does look a little brighter since the 2007 refurb. Not brand new, but somehow better.

It's amazing that this is one of the few original pieces of artwork from opening day or in the 1980s.

World Shwocase is full of original stuff

but WoM has nothing left, neither does Horizons, I doubt theres anything left in the WoL pavilion, now that they will gut it.

UoE still has the entrace hallway tile thing still there.

SSE has the mural.

The living seas lost its artwork outside, except for the linework now used as ocean waves.

The land has its original mosaic walls, and I think the carpeted walls at circle of life are from 1982.

JII I dont think has any of its artwork left.

Expo_Seeker40

when I went to the national air and space museum in DC a few years ago I instantly recognized a Bob McCall mural, it was great, and his murals are always large with grand stories.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Yup the mural was painted by a foreign artist, I believe from Europe.

I think the mural was "cleaned" during the 1994 refurb, and to me, the mural does look a little brighter since the 2007 refurb. Not brand new, but somehow better.

It's amazing that this is one of the few original pieces of artwork from opening day or in the 1980s.

World Shwocase is full of original stuff

but WoM has nothing left, neither does Horizons, I doubt theres anything left in the WoL pavilion, now that they will gut it.

UoE still has the entrace hallway tile thing still there.

SSE has the mural.

The living seas lost its artwork outside, except for the linwork now used as ocean waves.

The land his its original mosaic walls, and I think the carpeted walls at circle of life are from 1982.

JII I dont think has any of its artwork left.
Exactly why I want to know more about it! It's beautiful and EPCOT Center!:D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I may :D

Claudio Mazzoli painted the mural for SSE; Bob McCall painted the Prologue and the Promise that stood in Horizons until 1986. In the SSE mural, details can be found all the original 1982 ride. Interestingly, the original design was slightly different and featured the planned spaceship in 180top which the ride vehicles were to have exited out of.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don`t know if it ever was at MB, but it isn`t now. So far as I know it wasn`t for public viewing as it were.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
If I may :D

Claudio Mazzoli painted the mural for SSE; Bob McCall painted the Prologue and the Promise that stood in Horizons until 1986. In the SSE mural, details can be found all the original 1982 ride. Interestingly, the original design was slightly different and featured the planned spaceship in 180top which the ride vehicles were to have exited out of.

Knew you would come through!:sohappy::D Thanks SO much Martin...:lol:

Now, when are we getting that Story of SSE footage?:lookaroun:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom