Morning Activity

mep517

What to do, what to do??

Okay, so my family (Me, DH and 2 DDs ages 3 and 1) arrives at WDW at 8:15am on the first day of our trip (April 4th). We're going with a large group, but they won't be in until noon or so. Anyone have any ideas of what we should do with our time? We want to wait for our group to head to the parks.

We're going to be super-tired from our red-eye from the West Coast, so I want to make sure we have an activity to keep us moving and awake.

I was thinking maybe character breakfast -- but that's won't take the full 4 hours. We might start with that, though.

Thanks!

T0TFan

more info

Is that the time you are arriving at the airport? Are you using Magical Express?

I usually get there at around the same time from the west coast so I have done what you are doing before. By the time you get to your resort, about an hour will have passed so you should not have to kill 4 hours at all.

I can tell you that I usually like to freshen up a bit before doing much of anything.

Upvote 0

thrupaytonseyes

How about walking around DTD?

Checking in to your resort, grabbing your bathing suits, changing in a bathroom and going for a swim?

If you will be there at Christmastime, go resort hopping to chack out the decorations? You can do a character breakfast and then head around to the resorts.

Upvote 0

KC82271

We have used the "kid-friendly" water spray park at Pop each time to kill some time. Not sure where you are staying, but see if they have something there for the little one to do.

Another suggestion would be to head to the Magic Kingdom and hop on the monorail and ride through Epcot and back. It will give you a view of everything, but you can relax as you will be sitting the whole time.

Upvote 0

eroyee

I agree with tour some of the resorts. Thats always fun. I dont know if DTD is open early. I dont think so. Might be too chilly in the morning for a swim.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

I'd go to the Magic Kingdom when it opens. Take the train around, have a muffin at the bakery, ride Dumbo - that'll keep the kids awake!!:)

I remember the first time my daughter went to wdw - it was like she'd overdosed on caffein or something - she was never tired and wanted to be at the MK 24 hours a day!

Upvote 0

KHockett

You could have breakfast at Boma and then see the animals and take a quick swim in the pool. That is an amazing resort so even taking some time to look around would be fun!

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention -- we're staying at AKL. Our flight arrives at 6:15a, so I assume we'll be on property around 8.

Thanks!
I'm sure you'll be tired, but the pool at AKL is fantastic. If you pack swimsuits in your carry-on there is a place to change by the pool. I'd head to the quick-service restaurant for breakfast, eat it outside at one of the umbrella tables, then go for a leisurely swim. If you all have more energy than that, you could instead head to the Animal Kingdom and go on Kilimanjaro Safari (it's best early in the morning), then Festival of the Lion King and Nemo (shows can be better than rides when you're tired). Then you could meet the rest of your party back at AKL in time for lunch!

BTW: be sure to eat at Boma while you're there--it's fantastic!

Upvote 0

missmouse

first post for mee :wave:

ive stayed at AKL a couple of times and there is alot to take in at the resort!
maybe you could take the time you have to have a good breakfast (the cheesy croisant things are yum:slurp:) and have a wander round to all the different viewing areas at the hotel! theres alot of viewing areas to get to so this could kill some of the time you have!

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

Since you said that you were going to be staying at AKL, I would head over to Animal Kingdom, and take in Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest, or maybe a show. Hanging out at the hotel is always an option, lots to do and see. If you have young kids it might be hard to go to a park for a few hours then tell its time to leave, but you know your kids best. I'm sure no matter what you do it will be fun.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Go into Epcot and check out Innoventions.

Next Trip - January 2009

It's like coming home again......

I'd go to the Magic Kingdom when it opens. Take the train around, have a muffin at the bakery, ride Dumbo - that'll keep the kids awake!!:)

I remember the first time my daughter went to wdw - it was like she'd overdosed on caffein or something - she was never tired and wanted to be at the MK 24 hours a day!

I agree with the previous poster. I head over to MK. Why not have breakfast at the Crystal Palace with Pooh!!

I agree with the others. I would go to Magic Kingdom.

Since you said that you were going to be staying at AKL, I would head over to Animal Kingdom, and take in Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest, or maybe a show. Hanging out at the hotel is always an option, lots to do and see. If you have young kids it might be hard to go to a park for a few hours then tell its time to leave, but you know your kids best. I'm sure no matter what you do it will be fun.
I guess they missed this part of the OP :
What to do, what to do??

Okay, so my family (Me, DH and 2 DDs ages 3 and 1) arrives at WDW at 8:15am on the first day of our trip (April 4th). We're going with a large group, but they won't be in until noon or so. Anyone have any ideas of what we should do with our time? We want to wait for our group to head to the parks.

We're going to be super-tired from our red-eye from the West Coast, so I want to make sure we have an activity to keep us moving and awake.

I was thinking maybe character breakfast -- but that's won't take the full 4 hours. We might start with that, though.

Thanks!
:lol:

Anyway, I vote for Downtown Disney. :wave:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

What to do, what to do??

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, is your desire to NOT go to the parks until the rest of your party arrives written in stone? Are you just getting base tickets, no park hopping? Do you feel it's "not fair" to go to the parks without everyone else?

The only reason I'm asking is because, imho, going to one of the parks with just your family, without the rest of your party, even if only for a few hours, could be a very nice and sweet memory. The flip side is that, if you're jet-lagged, you're not gonna have fun no matter what you do (fingers crossed that won't be the case).

My various versions of 2 cents: First, see if you can check-in early. There's a possibility (however slim) that a room may be available, even at that early hour (has happened for us a few times). If it is, get an opportunity to at least catch a cat nap, freshen up, etc.

As others have said, the AK Lodge is pretty nifty, and you may want to just explore the grounds, take a swim, and especially animal-watch. If that's what you decide to do, consider making reservations for breakfast at Boma. Eat hearty (it's a buffet, but a very good one), then go poolside or to an animal-watching perch.

Now, let's assume, for the moment, you already have plans to spend some serious quality time at the hotel with the rest of your party later on, you're too excited to sleep even if your room IS available, AND you happen to have a rental car (don't know if you will). Consider exploring one of the other resorts. Make breakfast reservations at a monorail resort, then after breakfast, hop from resort to resort on the monorail, teasing yourself by being SO CLOSE to the Magic Kingdom. :D Or make reservations for the Cape May Breakfast Buffet at the Beach Club resort, which will also afford you the chance to explore there, the Yacht Club, the Boardwalk, even the Swan and Dolphin, all within walking distance to each other.

NOW, we go back to my original point. Namely, if you have park hopper passes, then why not give your family the opportunity to have a special morning independent of the rest of your group? I'd suggest the actual Animal Kingdom, but don't worry too much about rides; take the time to just explore the opening Discovery Island portion, and the walk through animal exhibits, maybe the Kilamanjaro Safari. As others have stated, the hotter the day gets, the less likely the animals will be fully out and about, so getting there early gives you a great opportunity to see animals you might not see if you were to return later in the day. There are some counter service breakfast options, and yet another buffet, Donald's Breakfastosaurs. And if you were to leave the park 30 mins before your party's expected to arrive, none will be the wiser ;)

Upvote 0

disneymyway

LOL . . . yeah, we saw that, we just chose to ignore it.

Sorry, I just need to go to a park when I get there!! :wave:

Me too! That's just what we'd do!

When we arrive we always go to the MK and just - you know - look at the castle. It's our, WELCOME TO WDW :sohappy: moment!

We don't necessarily stay long - we just have to go!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom