I need a fridge for my upcoming trip

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I will be staying @ POP from 12/1 - 12/12 and I will need a refrigerator for my medication but I can't afford $10/day for the darn thing. I've read that if you need one for medical reasons, they provide it free of charge? How difficult is it to request/get one? Do they need proof? (I have a written prescription from my doc)

Thanks everyone! :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
I will be staying @ POP from 12/1 - 12/12 and I will need a refrigerator for my medication but I can't afford $10/day for the darn thing. I've read that if you need one for medical reasons, they provide it free of charge? How difficult is it to request/get one? Do they need proof? (I have a written prescription from my doc)

Thanks everyone! :wave:

Just let them know. I don't know if they require proof, but it can't hurt to bring a note, etc along. :shrug:

Upvote 0

thrupaytonseyes

we get one each time for my son's medications and have never been asked for proof. If they needed proof I guess I would just show them the medicine bottle that has the sticker saying must be refrigerated. But again I have never been asked to prove it. Just call and have it added to your ressie that you are requesting a fridge and it is for medical purposes.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Just curious, how can you afford a 12 day trip to WDW but not the $120 for a fridge? Or was "afford" the wrong word?
Bob

Many people have limited funds for a trip, they plan their money out very carefully. Whose to say that this wasn't something that just came up for this person with a new medication or just realized that Pop doesn't have fridges like the mods on up and would have to pay for one and now this throws a monkey wrench into the trip.

I remember my cousin would plan for his trips to Disney when his kids were small and he had it pretty much down to the penny of what they needed for food and any extras. They didn't have a lot of money, but with the right planning and saving he was able to go.

Upvote 0

macsmom

Has anyone ever thought of "trading" fridges? This is what I mean....

WalMart sells dorm fridges for about $45. If you stay for a week, you save by buying a fridge. Then, say on the next to last day of your trip, when you begin to gather things and start packing, if someone on here is arriving or got there the day before and wants a fridge, buys it from the first person for, say, $30. Then, when they finish their trip, they do the same, maybe sell it for $20 and $20 for the next person. I figure there is alot of people here that it might actually work.

It's a thought. :)

danna

Upvote 0

krankenstein

Many people have limited funds for a trip, they plan their money out very carefully. Whose to say that this wasn't something that just came up for this person with a new medication or just realized that Pop doesn't have fridges like the mods on up and would have to pay for one and now this throws a monkey wrench into the trip.

I remember my cousin would plan for his trips to Disney when his kids were small and he had it pretty much down to the penny of what they needed for food and any extras. They didn't have a lot of money, but with the right planning and saving he was able to go.

That is exactly what I do. I know how much money it will cost me to go for a certain amount of time. Once I have enough saved I take off for a trip. Now, I do have a credit card that I can pick up any extra expenses that might come up, but I don't like to use it.

Upvote 0

kimmychad

WalMart sells dorm fridges for about $45. If you stay for a week, you save by buying a fridge. Then, say on the next to last day of your trip, when you begin to gather things and start packing, if someone on here is arriving or got there the day before and wants a fridge, buys it from the first person for, say, $30. Then, when they finish their trip, they do the same, maybe sell it for $20 and $20 for the next person. I figure there is alot of people here that it might actually work.

danna

while i think this is a great idea, how are you going to find people that need a fridge? i usually give my dining credits away so they don't go to waste, but it's easy to find people a food court that could use them.

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Just curious, how can you afford a 12 day trip to WDW but not the $120 for a fridge? Or was "afford" the wrong word?
Bob

Solo traveler, I can't afford to upgrade to a moderate resort for a 'free' fridge, I just dropped $500 on an AP, I travel to WDW several times a year so I budget VERY carefully, none of your business ;)

I asked for advice, not your criticism or snarky remarks.

Exactly! Thank you :wave:

That is exactly what I do. I know how much money it will cost me to go for a certain amount of time. Once I have enough saved I take off for a trip. Now, I do have a credit card that I can pick up any extra expenses that might come up, but I don't like to use it.

Me too :wave:

I would also love to be able to afford internet access while I'm down there but that's another $10/day I don't have...

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Solo traveler, I can't afford to upgrade to a moderate resort for a 'free' fridge, I just dropped $500 on an AP, I travel to WDW several times a year so I budget VERY carefully, none of your business ;)

I asked for advice, not your criticism or snarky remarks.

This is more about playing Devil's Advocate than being snarky (though I can see how the question-in-question wouldn't be considered in the best taste). But I can see the point of someone suggesting that, if you wanted to go to WDW for 12 days, but didn't think you could afford a fridge, why not make the trip for 11 days and use the money you save for one less days' lodging and food for the fridge rental. :shrug: If you weren't needing the fridge for medical reasons, I probably would've made that suggestion (though it's still none of my biz why the trip would had to have been for 12 days). And for the record, I'll admit, I always do my best to make my WDW vacations as long as possible, too.

Either way, it's a moot point as has been discussed. I'd call ahead (and the sooner the better) to make sure it's on your reservation as a necessity and not a request.

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

This is more about playing Devil's Advocate than being snarky (though I can see how the question-in-question wouldn't be considered in the best taste). But I can see the point of someone suggesting that, if you wanted to go to WDW for 12 days, but didn't think you could afford a fridge, why not make the trip for 11 days and use the money you save for one less days' lodging and food for the fridge rental. :shrug: If you weren't needing the fridge for medical reasons, I probably would've made that suggestion (though it's still none of my biz why the trip would had to have been for 12 days). And for the record, I'll admit, I always do my best to make my WDW vacations as long as possible, too.

Either way, it's a moot point as has been discussed. I'd call ahead (and the sooner the better) to make sure it's on your reservation as a necessity and not a request.

That's sorta how I saw it too.....can buy the AP, can take a 12 day trip (much longer than most of us take) but the extra $10 a day is too much...sounds more like a choice of not wanting to pay it? :shrug: Not being critical (ok, maybe a little bit) but more playing devil's advocate along with slappy here..

I don't mind if someone is cheap. Hey, I'm cheap and will admit it! What bothers me is when someone is cheap but tries to disguise it as something else. Simply say "I don't wanna pay the extra!" I don't wanna pay the $10/day internet because I'm cheap. So I go without. Wants versus needs, in that case. Of course, because this is for a medical reason, I would imagine they will accommodate you. Again to play devil's advocate....can't anyone really claim it's for medical reasons? Not saying you're doing this, just something I've wondered before.

I guess what I don't get about threads like this (or other ones dealing with Disney policy)...is that this is a question really only Disney can answer for you, right? They are the only ones who can give you an official answer and put a note on your reservation. You said yourself that you've read they will provide it, why not call them directly? Sometimes threads like this cause more trouble than they are worth. I suggest calling them directly and having a note put on your reservation. I do hope that they can accommodate you for this and would imagine that they will. :wave:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member

danna

It won't be happening on this website, unless people are doing it through PMs. We don't allow buying, selling, or exchanges. There are other websites that allow this, but not wdwmagic.

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

It won't be happening on this website, unless people are doing it through PMs. We don't allow buying, selling, or exchanges. There are other websites that allow this, but not wdwmagic.

:sohappy: That's why I'm here and not some of those....other...sites. :lookaroun If you think this place is crazy, try going over to those other ones....yikes!

ETA: Not to mention, isn't it against Disney policy to have outside appliances? I know this was discussed in other threads where people wanted to bring fridges/microwaves from home...

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
What if you simply forgot to take it home and the person who "found" it sent you some money by mistake :animwink:

As long as you don't discuss it here. ;) Besides, how could you leave it for the right person? Wouldn't mousekeeping just toss it out? Or put it in their own break room?

Surely people wouldn't be selfish enough to expect bell services to look after it for them until someone claimed it? What an imposition. :eek:

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

Why not just bring a small insulated cooler and fill with ice every day? the ice is free and I have a small Coleman cooler that will hold about 18 cans and with ice the cans stay very cold for at least a day.:shrug:

Upvote 0

sissa216

I looked into this before for medication as well, but ended up cancelling because I didn't need it.

Disney told me: medical fridges are available at values free of charge.
You can request it, but it's based on availability.

They are also the size of a shoebox; which is how they get around people abusing the system. (and apparently they must have a lot of people trying to scam; he warned me that it wouldn't hold more than a single can of pop :lol:)

They also told me that if you need one and none are available, they will keep your meds at the front desk for you.

Like I said, I ended up not needing it, so I can't say it it's true or not :shrug:
Oh, and I asked also if I needed to bring a doctor's note, he said "of course not"

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

I looked into this before for medication as well, but ended up cancelling because I didn't need it.

They are also the size of a shoebox; which is how they get around people abusing the system. (and apparently they must have a lot of people trying to scam; he warned me that it wouldn't hold more than a single can of pop :lol:)

They also told me that if you need one and none are available, they will keep your meds at the front desk for you.

Like I said, I ended up not needing it, so I can't say it it's true or not :shrug:
Oh, and I asked also if I needed to bring a doctor's note, he said "of course not"

Innnteresting. That's smart to make them small, also easier for them to store/transport. You get bonus points for saying "pop." :lol:

Upvote 0

krankenstein

That is interesting! I figured they would have to offer them for free because of diabetics needing to store insulin and such. Thanks for psting this information.

You get bonus points for saying "pop." :lol:

It's coke! Everything is coke! Get it right people!! :p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom