My beef with the resorts

disneymyway

I'll be bold and post a criticism - hopefully it will provoke an interesting discussion.

I really wish they would do things at the resorts a bit more like regular hotels.

I'd like a minibar. Trying to get a simple snack at the Beach Club after MNSSHP was ridiculous. I was reduced to a bag of doritos in the laundry room.

Why no pay per view? I mean, I know they don't want you staying in your room, but there are times that you just don't feel like going to sleep and everything is closed. At least have some more interesting tv channels.

On another board I read that you couldn't even get the baseball playoffs in your room at the resorts! That's just not right when you are paying all that money!

All the things that I would like are just things that would make money for WDW - why do you suppose they don't do them?

There's a hotel in NYC that I stay at and the rate is about $325 - sometimes more, sometimes less. If the WDW deluxes were run like that place it would be so wonderful! It has all the things I love and more - and impeccable service - never a screw up in 10 years I've been staying there.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE WDW and the resorts are adorable and fun. I just think there is room for improvement here.

Do you agree?

disneymyway

Original Poster
There are bars onsite and offsite for those who want to go out. For many reasons, that isn't always a desirable option.

I guess I'm seeming like an alcoholic since this appears to be so important to me lol, :zipit:, but really, it's just that going out and having drinks is kind of a vacation luxury for me. It's hard to go out when I'm home since we don't drink and drive (when my husband and I go out here guess who is always the designated driver? )- when I'm on vacation I like to go out. I could drive offsite, but that kind of defeats the purpose. A DUI would really put a damper on the trip.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

1) I don't travel all the way to Orlando to sit in my hotel room watching TV

2) Mini Bars - imagine the mayhem when the Spring Breakers get their hands on the contents of the mini bar - I wouldn't fancy trying to get any sleep with a banging noisey party in the room next door.

If I want TV I'll stay home, If I want to drink I'll go somewhere during licensing hours (or take a bottle back to my room from the local supermarket)

:D

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I guess I'm seeming like an alcoholic since this appears to be so important to me lol, :zipit:, but really, it's just that going out and having drinks is kind of a vacation luxury for me. It's hard to go out when I'm home since we don't drink and drive (when my husband and I go out here guess who is always the designated driver? )- when I'm on vacation I like to go out. I could drive offsite, but that kind of defeats the purpose. A DUI would really put a damper on the trip.

It may be that in this particular forum the voices of those who share your concerns are not heard, but they are out there. Trust me! :D

Many a day I tromped the parks with my young children all day long and returned to my Disney hotel worn out and dog tired. At times, because we didn't plan ahead, we returned to the room only to find an empty mini-fridge. Going back out to Downtown Disney with the kids in tow was the last thing I wanted to do at that point.

Nowadays, we hit the grocery store before check in, but I'm guessing Disney's Magical Express doesn't make a Publix or Wal Mart stop between the airport and WDW, so not everyone has available the options that come with a rental car. :lol:

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
1) I don't travel all the way to Orlando to sit in my hotel room watching TV

2) Mini Bars - imagine the mayhem when the Spring Breakers get their hands on the contents of the mini bar - I wouldn't fancy trying to get any sleep with a banging noisey party in the room next door.

If I want TV I'll stay home, If I want to drink I'll go somewhere during licensing hours (or take a bottle back to my room from the local supermarket)

:D

OK everybody keeps saying this but not really hearing what I'm saying. I don't sit in my hotel and watch tv either out of choice. But there are some nights when there is nothing else to do. Because things are closed.

I'm talking about 11:00, midnight, even 1:00 when I would normally be out if I were on vacation any other place. Since things close so early many nights at WDW, you are kind of forced to be in your room, and that would be OK if I could watch a movie.

It's kind of like they are saying, "Lights out!" :ROFLOL:

So, what are you doing at midnight at WDW? (Can you tell I like to debate? :))
If not watching tv, give me some ideas.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Certainly don't have to explain yourself to anyone here. You're a grownup, your'e allowed to have a cocktail if you want one.

And if you don't mind that you're going to hell for drinking the Devil's tinkle-water, who am I to judge? :lol:

What I think would be at the very least a nice option is to be able to request a minibar. This way, it wouldn't be in the room unless it was requested, they can better insure that rooms full of under-21s won't have access to them, if WDW finds it necessary they can charge the room a deposit for the contents or the minibar itself that gets reimbursed on the guests' cards upon checkout...and then they can design unique minibars in keeping with the theme of each resort that they can sell online for a thousand dollars each (based on 17 dollars of raw materials and 3 hours of labor :D ) and Disney freaks wil buy them in droves!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

So, what are you doing at midnight at WDW? (Can you tell I like to debate? :))
If not watching tv, give me some ideas.

We go peak season (not through choice but visits have to coincide with school holidays). Parks are always open late and as we only get to visit Orlando every 2 or 3 years we are at the parks from opening till closing.

Hotel rooms are for sleeping in to gain the strength needed for another park onslaught the next day. Watching TV is missing out on valuable zzzzzzz

Upvote 0

fngoofy

Late Night Food
Deluxe have room service late into the night
Others have their gift shops open until midnight I believe

Mini Bars
I know the Deluxe used to have them, but really those are for
the heat of the moment champagne, not for the $2 oreos. I
see everyone wanting them but if they were there think of
the complaints on the price (which is probably why they are gone.)

wifi
I thought they had this, I saw someone had a webcam fixed from
Boardwalk on EPCOT a few months ago, I assumed wifi was involved.

TV (expanded)
Please, I know it's different strokes and all, but if you need TV beyond
what is there now you should have stayed home. We turn on the
Top 7 while we get ready to go out or go to bed and that is the only thing
we watch.

In short, other resorts offer these things because they don't have the
WORLD right outside their doors.

Now get out there and hit those parks.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

While I do agree that there should be some late night offerings food wise I could care less about a mini bar or PPV. I imagine that I am not alone in this opinion as if I were not Disney would definitely not leave either of those cash cows out of resort rooms. There is also the issue that most Disney guests are families and a mini bar can quickly become a problem with kids after mom and dad go to sleep.

Good points.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
We go peak season (not through choice but visits have to coincide with school holidays). Parks are always open late and as we only get to visit Orlando every 2 or 3 years we are at the parks from opening till closing.

Hotel rooms are for sleeping in to gain the strength needed for another park onslaught the next day. Watching TV is missing out on valuable zzzzzzz

I think I'm starting to realize that we are just in the minority. We go a lot and there are some days we don't do a single ride. Last trip there was a day we slept til noon, had lunch, shopped at World Showcase, had a late dinner, and then went back to the room. Not a single ride.

I guess WDW is set up the way it is best for most guests - we just aren't like most guests.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

Late Night Food
Deluxe have room service late into the night

I stayed in the Animal Kingdom Lodge the weekend of September 27, so that wasn't very long ago. My family ran the Everest Challenge, and the Animal Kingdom park stayed open until midnight, but stopped serving food at around 11:00, as best I could tell. Two of us went back to the hotel before the park closed - a Deluxe - and the restaurants were closed, so ordered room service. They were told room service would not be taking orders after 11:00 or 11:30 p.m.

We were lucky, because the ones who went back early (10:30 ish) called in an order for all of us just before the kitchen closed, but the people who waited until the park closed and then went back to the resort hungry were out of luck!

11:00 is late, but is not LATE NIGHT by many standards. I know there are going to be some people who say anything after 9 pm is late night, but that's not true for everyone! :lol:

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

At one time when Yacht And Beach Clubs first opened they DId have mini-bars. In fact I was a mini-bar attendant. The sales were so slow, typical week would be about $125.00 in sales,not per room but per floor!. Most people would empty them out and stock them with their food. It got so bad that we started checking them every day and if items were not in there but in some other part of room we were supposed to check them off as being sold.(Most of us wouldn't do that, instead we would empty the mini-bar and restock with what should have been in there and then leave the Guest a nice letter explaining what the mini bar was for and they could be charged for all items missing from it.)

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I remember being in Caribbean Beach in the late 90's and having a mini-bar - as we had to remove items to store our own drinks/food.

There were also refillable mugs in the room (sealed) and ponchos (also sealed). You were charged if you opened the items.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom