what to avoid for claustrophobia

kirbynheather

We are leaving in just 5 days now! One last question.... I am very clautrophobic and will hyperventilate if I am in an enclosed space. I think the Nemo ride in Epcot is a definate one I want to avoid, are there any others? Thanks!

Rob562

As mentioned, Mission: Space is a definite no-no for folks who are claustrophobic.

Also, something like Star Tours *could* feel claustrophobic for some people, because you're in an enclosed space, but it's big enough to seat about 40 people, so it's not tiny like the 4-seater Mission: Space capsules. I'd say the ST cabin is about the size of my bedroom, and I don't think my bedroom is that small. ;)

Also, perhaps avoid the tunnels on Tom Sawyer Island. They can get a bit tight for an adult.

Being restrained in your seat in the darkness on Stitch's Great Escape could be a bit much for some claustrophobia sufferers...

But one that didn't really occur to me was Soarin', until I rode with a friend for her first time. At the start of the ride just before lift-off, the front of the "wing" above you tilts down a couple of feet. (The reason for it while on the ride is to block your view of either the feet of the people above you if you're in rows 2 or 3, or the top of the screen if you're in row 1)
My friend got a little apprehensive from that wing lowering. But that was just for those few seconds on the ground, when your view is very restricted. Once up in the air, you have a very large field of vision in front of and below you and don't feel closed in at all. (That's where a fear of heights would start to play in...)

-Rob

Upvote 0

colleen2997

I would avoid the monorail definitely. I was stuck on the monorail last year due to a problem on the tracks. We were up high over grassland. I was standing and the car was filled to capacity. I felt a panic attack coming on because I felt this sense of enclosure and being trapped, that I couldn't escape if I wanted to. Just as I started to fear hyper ventilation coming on, we started to move. Then I felt so relieved. I have talked to others who felt the same way.

Upvote 0

hemloc

I hate to say it, but avoid almost all of WDW(Or any theme park for that matter!).... When the lines are bad, and you're stuck in the middle of them when they aren't moving, it can be a pretty claustrophobic experience...

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

:)Suggest always getting a Fastpass for Splash Mountain.

The line inside the building could seem rather confining and you can't see how long it really is from outside the building.
:)

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

The line inside the building could seem rather confining and you can't see how long it really is from outside the building.

That is a great idea! I never thought of that.
Avoid Mission: Space like the plague. I'm not even close to claustrophbic and sometimes I feel smothered. I have a family member with claustrophobia. She will not ride Space Mountain under any circumstances.
I have a lot of other suggestions, but they are all very dependent on how severe your claustrophobia is.

Upvote 0
Also, perhaps avoid the tunnels on Tom Sawyer Island. They can get a bit tight for an adult.

Wow! When you mentioned this, I remembered being inside the "caves" on TS island last summer. It was really tight and I felt my chest pounding. I'm not a very large person (5'4", size 10) and the space really closed in on me.
Claustrophobics beware:eek:.

Upvote 0

alilance

Mission Space FOR SURE! I tried to go on it twice now. The last time when they shut the door, I TOTALLY freaked out and was screaming to let me off the ride. It took a lot out of me and I couldn't stop crying like a baby. How sad! Kinda pathetic, huh?:cry::cry:

Upvote 0

Scooter

I saw a claustrophobic person freak out in the dark room in Tower of Terror where they play the Rod Sterling Twilight zone Speil. You might want to avoid that if possible. It's very dark, very confined, and very crowded.

Upvote 0

SeaBreeze

Tower of Terror really got to me. It's a huge vehicle but something about being in a dark, confined space for such an intense ride... I won't do it again. But it really depends on your claustrophobia. Nothing else has bothered me so much (I avoid M:S) but that's me :shrug:

Upvote 0

tonya

Yeah, I thought I was going to absolutely FREAK OUT one hot summer standing in line for SM, and I'm not even claustrophobic! There's no where to go, and it's a hot, hot line with wall to wall people.

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

I have the same problem. When the "Hydrolators" were around at the Living Seas, I had to go in a separate way and not use them, because I would start hyperventilating.

I would avoid Mission:Space as mentioned (I have never been on it, I have a friend who was a CM there, and he recommended that it probably not be a good idea). My aunt who is lesser of a chlaustrophic as I am, had a problem with it, so I skipped out.

Try to get fastpasses for Splash Mountain as someone said, the line can get VERY crowded and compact. Also Mickey's Philharmagic can sometimes be a problem when waiting for the doors to open, everyone squishes in so tight I try to stay by the back. Or right up front (but still behind the yellow line) and face the door so I still have 2 - 3 feet of space in front of me. Haunted Mansion - the stretching room, can be a problem, but usually I stand on the outskirts of the room, instead of in the "Dead Center"

The only other line I really have a problem with and this is if it is really busy, is Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. On busy days it gets really crammed in there.

Are you staying on property??? And using Disney Transportation - that may pose a bit of a problem when they cram everyone on the busses. I'm sure if you told a bus driver your situation though, he would allow you to stay at the front where no one could stand in front of you.

I think thats about it. Just try to focus on the people you are with, keep conversation going if you feel cramped, so you can try to keep your mind off of it. And maybe bring a little handheld fan with you and water. I know when I start getting panicky I get really hot, so a nice fan and water may help to calm you.

Hope I could help!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom