Animal Kingdom "secret path"

Jerm

Original Poster
Does anyone remember or even go on the "secret path" anymore? I remember when they were doing pre-opening press and this was one of those things Joe used to talk about. I still go each time I visit, but getting across the stream has gotten a bit harder with out any clean up on it anymore.

**For those of you that have no idea what I am talking about back along the path from Asia to Africa there is/was a secret path. When DAK opened they encourged more of the exploration of the park, even to the point of this path not being paved or maked, it used to just be a break in the trees. It is just as you enter the smoking section from Asia you cut up through the trees and see the most beautiful waterfall and then come back down half way through the smoking section. I am sure someone has a map with the area marked out.

J

Brian_WDW74

I think I know the path you're talking about. I stumbled across it during one of my meanderings. I remember a couple of smokers looking at me like they were wondering where the hell I'd come from. :)

Fun2BFree

Aah yes, I remember happening upon it in 2004. We weren't even really sure if it was permitted to use this 'path' but we found out about its existence afterwards.

Blackie Pueblo

I don't know if I've ever seen this pathway. It sounds like one of those little magical things that Disney does that many don't notice. I think I will have to look for this path next time.

"If certain events continue, much of America's natural beauty will become nothing more than a memory."
---Walter Elias Disney

H20Babie

If I am not mistaken, isn't it behind the coffee place and close to the train tracks on the DAK map?

Animal-Kingdom2.jpg

Jerm

Original Poster
I am waiting for Martin to chime in with one of his layout maps for it. I think before that area became the smoking area it was much more popular because people would go up there to sit and eat.

J

DiPSU224

I was determined to find this path on my last trip. I tortured my husband in the heat trying to find any pathway that I thought was hidden. I thought maybe I had found it, but I'm still not sure.

I found this link with a picture. I remember seeing the flat rocks like in the picture before our trip and I did see an area that had flat rocks that looked like they were running through a stream at one time. It was so overgrown that I wasn't sure that it was really this secret path. Anyway, I hope the link gives everyone a little more info.

http://www.themeparks.com/reportsarchives.htm#The "Secret Path"

Jerm

Original Poster
There you go. I am going next month so i will take some good pictures of the entire trail.

J

Where exactly is this path?? im gonna need explicit instructions...not too great with directions...:confused: If you dont want to put it on here for everyone to see you can private message me. :rolleyes:

my dad has been to disney 40+ times and he thinks he is like "Mr. Disney" and this would be a great way to finally "out-disney" him. lol! (although hell probably pretend he knew it was there all along!)

Thanks!

Rob562

If I am not mistaken, isn't it behind the coffee place and close to the train tracks on the DAK map?

Animal-Kingdom2.jpg

Actually, the "secret path" is *off* of the path circled in your pic. The one you circled exists, and is a very visible, paved loop off of the main path.

The smoking area is really at the right-hand end of that path. The secret path goes from there, up and around to about where the smoking symbol is on the map.

The end of the path that leads back and away from the smoking area is quite visible. The other end isn't. At one point they planted bushes at either end of the path to block it off. The ones near the smoking area apparently never really took hold. The ones at the other end grew in.

If you want a path that almost noone ever walks on even though it *kinda* is marked on the park map, plus there's a LOT more scenery along it, take a stroll along the original first half of the ITTBAB queue. (One end is marked on the map, but the path disappears beind the title "Discovery Island" on the map)

You can enter at either end. Either across from Pizzafari, or exit out the *back* of the ITTBAB FastPass machine area. You get to see a lot along the way, including viewing angles of the Tree of Life that most people don't see. (You get pretty close to the front of the Tree). There's also additional carved animals along the pathway, as well as a view from the back of the kangaroo display area. Here's some pics from June:

How could people miss this pathway entrance?
100_3612.jpg

This is what the other end looks like, walking out the back of the ITTBAB FastPass machine area (the pathway is to the left of the rope, to the right it either the FastPass return or the Standby queue for ITTBAB):
100_3629.jpg

This is as close you can get to the front of the Tree of Life:
100_3620.jpg

Some animals you see along the path:
100_3618.jpg

100_3623.jpg

100_3625.jpg

And a little "grotto" underneath a waterfall:
100_3624.jpg

As I walked the path and followed the stream away from the waterfall, I realized just how extensive the waterways are on Discovery Island. This waterfall flows into a stream, which eventually runs into a pond near the FastPass machines. The water then flows out from there, under the main walkway, and runs into the pool in the Flame Tree seating area. From here the water eventually flows out and into Discovery River. It's almost as if the Tree of Life is providing water to the whole park. (there's a waterfall off the back of the Tree that flows into the River)

-Rob

Mecha Figment

the path you just mentioned is quite obvious there are two diferent paths that take you by the tree of life. one also enters by africa.

but there is one tucked away , i found it once. but it is so overgrown now, i was a bit nervous walking around back there.. and i lost the trail since it hasn't been cut back in a long time.

Fun2BFree

^ Yeah, that definitely isn't the secret path. It has a very uneven narrow and bumpy terrain (not wheelchair suitable therefore) and isn't that close to the ToL. I believe what was pictured was the Tree of Life Gardens trail.

EDIT: Urk, just realised you weren't picturing the ACTUAL secret path and was just talking about another. My bad. :)

PhilharMagician

Does anyone remember or even go on the "secret path" anymore? I remember when they were doing pre-opening press and this was one of those things Joe used to talk about. I still go each time I visit, but getting across the stream has gotten a bit harder with out any clean up on it anymore.

**For those of you that have no idea what I am talking about back along the path from Asia to Africa there is/was a secret path. When DAK opened they encourged more of the exploration of the park, even to the point of this path not being paved or maked, it used to just be a break in the trees. It is just as you enter the smoking section from Asia you cut up through the trees and see the most beautiful waterfall and then come back down half way through the smoking section. I am sure someone has a map with the area marked out.

J
I have been concerned about getting caught on it and being kicked out of the park. Have any CM's seen you on the path? Is it really open to guests?

For anyone looking for it just go into the smoking area between Asia and Africa and walk all the way till the paved area stops. You will see a break in the trees and brush and this is one end of it.

DiPSU224

If you want a path that almost noone ever walks on even though it *kinda* is marked on the park map, plus there's a LOT more scenery along it, take a stroll along the original first half of the ITTBAB queue. (One end is marked on the map, but the path disappears beind the title "Discovery Island" on the map)

You can enter at either end. Either across from Pizzafari, or exit out the *back* of the ITTBAB FastPass machine area. You get to see a lot along the way, including viewing angles of the Tree of Life that most people don't see. (You get pretty close to the front of the Tree). There's also additional carved animals along the pathway, as well as a view from the back of the kangaroo display area. Here's some pics from June:

As I walked the path and followed the stream away from the waterfall, I realized just how extensive the waterways are on Discovery Island. This waterfall flows into a stream, which eventually runs into a pond near the FastPass machines. The water then flows out from there, under the main walkway, and runs into the pool in the Flame Tree seating area. From here the water eventually flows out and into Discovery River. It's almost as if the Tree of Life is providing water to the whole park. (there's a waterfall off the back of the Tree that flows into the River)

-Rob

I remember when that was the queue for ITTBAB. I remember thinking how great it was being that close to the Tree of Life. I didn't know you could still go back there. We'll have to explore that next time.

Jerm

Original Poster
I have been concerned about getting caught on it and being kicked out of the park. Have any CM's seen you on the path? Is it really open to guests?

For anyone looking for it just go into the smoking area between Asia and Africa and walk all the way till the paved area stops. You will see a break in the trees and brush and this is one end of it.

No CM's have seen me walk it because no cast members ever go in that area. It is/was open to guest and talked about by Joe himself, see first page for quote. It has overgrown over the years but I still go to it every time i visit the parks. If a CM says anything show them the path, I bet they wont even know about it. I laugh that we all worry about walking a path that does not have a "path" when the park was built for Discovery!!!

J

Yoop33

No CM's have seen me walk it because no cast members ever go in that area. It is/was open to guest and talked about by Joe himself, see first page for quote. It has overgrown over the years but I still go to it every time i visit the parks. If a CM says anything show them the path, I bet they wont even know about it. I laugh that we all worry about walking a path that does not have a "path" when the park was built for Discovery!!!

J

I was just going to ask if any CM's knew about it. I will be there first thing in the morning and if I cant find it not only will I be there till it closes but I will be forced to ask a CM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom