Animal Kingdom "secret path"

jedimaster1227

I have been concerned about getting caught on it and being kicked out of the park. Have any CM's seen you on the path? Is it really open to guests?

For anyone looking for it just go into the smoking area between Asia and Africa and walk all the way till the paved area stops. You will see a break in the trees and brush and this is one end of it.

This same concerned stopped me from walking up the path earlier today... Plus the first stream is overly flooded, so the stepping stones are underwater.

Rob562

No CM's have seen me walk it because no cast members ever go in that area. It is/was open to guest and talked about by Joe himself, see first page for quote. It has overgrown over the years but I still go to it every time i visit the parks. If a CM says anything show them the path, I bet they wont even know about it. I laugh that we all worry about walking a path that does not have a "path" when the park was built for Discovery!!!

J

True, it was designed and built with the park. And I first walked it about 8 months after the park opened. Originally, it was very obvious (at least if you were walking slow enough and actually looked around you) that there was a "dirt" path (it was really very tiny pebbles) that led off the paved pathway.

But then Disney had problems of some Guests going back there and doing some very "un-Disney-like" things. That led them to at least *try* to close it off by planting bushes at either end. When they first planted them, the path *really* looked closed off. I remember walking by it about 6 months after they'd been planted.

But then, those on the smoking area end didn't really take hold (or were trampled by kids running around while their parents smoked), though the ones on the other end grew in more.

So, given that Disney made the *attempt* to close off the "secret" path leaves it in a grey area as to whether it's OK to actually go back there.

-Rob

MGMBoy

It's almost as if the Tree of Life is providing water to the whole park. (there's a waterfall off the back of the Tree that flows into the River)

-Rob

Congratulations! That's the story of the Tree! The idea is just that, that it gave life to everything surrounding it. That same waterway also runs down to the water area by where the flamingos are found.

Also, for those of you concerned with getting caught on the trail, I say don't worry about it. PM me if you're gonna attempt the trail and we can look for it together some day. :)

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Here's an interesting map that shows two paths though that area. The south path is the "normal" route and looks like the secret one is just above it. It even shows the "secret" one traversing some water. Very cool.

WDW_Animal_Kingdom.jpg

How could people miss this pathway entrance?
100_3612.jpg

This is the entrance that Mickey uses every morning to get up to the tree of life to do show for the rope drop for the park. <when he pops up out of the tree tops>

fillerup

Here's an interesting map that shows two paths though that area. The south path is the "normal" route and looks like the secret one is just above it. It even shows the "secret" one traversing some water. Very cool.

WDW_Animal_Kingdom.jpg

The south path, yes, is the "normal" path. The upper path is also paved - it's the smoking area - not the secret path
being discussed here.

There's a small hut in the smoking area and this is the natural entrance to the hidden trail. Most of the time for the last couple
of years, you had to get your feet wet to cross the streams.

As far as CMs objecting - I sort of view this like the grassy areas in Epcot - no fences, no signs - tromp all over it.
Numerous times, I've walked in this area going over the hill and right down to the chain link fence next to the train tracks.

Try it - you might like it.

DAKSafariAlum

It's there on the pathway to Asia. Just keep to the left. It's been there since park open. There even used to be a couple of areas that looked like the nest of gorillas. Something like they show you on Ituri Forest Trail (aka Gorilla falls).

Pocamahontas

I'm terribly excited about this new path I've never heard of. As a regular at WDW I love when I hear about things I've never seen before. I can't waittt to look for it!

Rob562

OK, I came across a few more pics I took back in June of the area near the "secret path".

As you leave Africa, headed for Asia, just after the backstage gate there's a smaller *paved* path that veers off to your left. (This is the one that is shown on the maps)

This is what the smaller path looks like as you're standing at the junction, with the main walkway off to the right of this photo:

100_3656.jpg

Along this path, you will come across a pair of bridges that cross two streams (actually the same stream, just split in two in this section). The bridges look like this:

100_3657.jpg

The African end of the secret path is out of frame to the left of this photo. I don't think it's *immediately* next to the bridge but is a short distance before it. (So if you reach the first bridge, you've gone too far)
The path goes back, away from the paved walkway, and then crosses the two parts of the stream, each with their own stepping stones.

The path then comes out at the smoking area structure/gazebo on the Asian end. Standing in the smoking area and looking into the woods, this is what the secret path looks like:

100_3662.jpg

Obviosuly it's much easier to find from the Asia end of the path...

And while we're in the area, there's another little spot along here that's often overlooked. Back on the African end of the main walkway, there's a small path on the river side:

100_3655.jpg

It leads down to an open area along the river that gives a great angle of the back side of the Tree of Life:

100_3654.jpg

It's a great photo spot for family photos. (When I was taking these photos, I actually volunteered to take a family's photo so they all could be in the shot)

There are great little nooks like this hidden all around the park, if you just take the time to explore and find them. (Joe knew what he was doing...)

-Rob

EPCOTPluto

Sorry to bring this back up, but can any one comment on if this is still accessible?
You know, the last time I went there, a giant tree was blocking the path behind the bamboo. Then I discovered the Picnic in the Park maps feature that seating area as one of them, discouraging anyone to venture back there without someone spotting you. And then moving the characters to the Asia walkway...
In other words, NO, not really. :cry:
It was so cool to venture over the stepping stones while a unsuspecting group was 6 feet away to your side not knowing you are there.

P.S. 150 Posts!! :sohappy: :sohappy::sohappy:

Jerm

Original Poster
Last time I visited (fun to have my topic brought back from the dead) in Feb the path was next to impossible or impassable I guess to do. They have really planted around the front of the pathways very well :cry:

mitchk

Hey .... the path was still there in April of 09'. I'll post some pictures later in my April 09' album :wave:

Jerm

Original Poster
When I visited in Feb you could not get onto the old path unless you really wanted to climb over some brush. The path up and over the water is still there, but getting in and out of it was nothing I could see. I am looking forward to the photos, I can't wait to check it out in December!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom