PeoplemoverTTA

Neat pictures - thanks for posting!

It's funny, I was just talking about Pita Gabriel to my mom yesterday...and I did indeed call him "Pita." Gotta admit I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for Food Rocks..

I wanna be
Your high fiber!
Why don't you take a bite?
I! I wanna be your high fiber!
'Cause your mom was right when she says,
High!
High fiber!

Rob562

I've been able to glean a little bit from observations in that area (goodness knows I spent a LOT of time around there) and vague, hazy memories from the one time I saw Food Rocks. IIRC, what is now the Fastpass distribution area for Soarin' used to be the pre-show holding area for Food Rocks/Kitchen Kabaret. The "Flight Crew Only" door at the far end of the room (where Behind the Seeds starts) has always been there as an emergency exit. That would mean that the current exit into the FP area is actually the former theater entrance for Food Rocks. Thus, the old theater would be made up of the first queue room, up until the fire doors (there's a small separation in the wall seperating the entrance and exit queues here). There's a distinct change in building materials visible from the outside at about this point, marking the end of the old theater and the beginning of the new construction. My question: where was the exit to Food Rocks?

The exit from the Food Rocks theater was to the left of the entrance. Looking at the couple of photos I have of the area, my guess is that the exit was somewhere in front of where the Soarin' desk is now. The stage is now behind the flight desk, and the old seating area would be the open area where the queue entrances are now to the Standby and FastPass queues.

My recollections of the theater pretty much match what you wrote above. You walked into the first pre-show roow that had the smelling boxes in them. Then there was the inner holding room. This seems to match up with the FastPass distribution area. From here, once the doors opened, you pretty much curved around 90 degrees to the left into the theater. The back of the stage was most likely the front outside wall of the pavilion. As you exited the theater, you went up a short hallway that went off the theater at a 45-degree angle back and away from the stage to the outer exit doors. This dumped you out across from the bathrooms, and right next to the Farmer's Market gift shop area.

Using my HIGHLY advanced MSPaint skills... ;) this is how I remember the layout of the Food Rocks theater...

FoodRocks.jpg

So now to take that and figure out where things are now...

-Rob

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The Green Thumb was essentially gutted, but the space i still there. The restrooms didn't move either. The doors to the outside world right there are the same ones as before.

That in mind, the "Check-in desk" for Soarin should be right about where the exit from Food Rocks was.

TheDisneyMagic

Ahh right, so from what I can make out from this discussion, the old seating area was removed, the pre holding areas is now being used as part of the entrance/tickets for Soarin' but the actual stage is still sitting there (obiously less a number of props and animatronics). Was the whole seating area removed or just the section in which Soarin' passes through?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I plan on doing a lot of investigating over the next few weeks of the layouts. It isn`t the first time this has happened; The Living Seas had a corridor built through Preshow Theatre 2, leaving the theatre intact but unused behind the walls. Imagination to this day has certain areas of 1983 vintage still in the current ride space but unseen.

Until I can get my pics together from my forthcoming trip about Soarin', here is the Kitchen Kabaret Revue theatre space as it used to be; for comparisson note the toilet block and escalator:

Attachments

• KK Theatre area.jpg
    KK Theatre area.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 558

JimboJones123

I plan on doing a lot of investigating over the next few weeks of the layouts. It isn`t the first time this has happened; The Living Seas had a corridor built through Preshow Theatre 2, leaving the theatre intact but unused behind the walls. Imagination to this day has certain areas of 1983 vintage still in the current ride space but unseen.

Until I can get my pics together from my forthcoming trip about Soarin', here is the Kitchen Kabaret Revue theatre space as it used to be; for comparisson note the toilet block and escalator:
For those of you that only know of Food Rocks... poor you.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
So is just the stage there or is there some seating too? Looks from the map above, there still could be some seating left over.

Laura

Premium Member
Wow I don't know if I've EVER seen Food Rocks now that I think about it.

I used to watch Kitchen Kabaret on every trip though.

TOTGuy

Oh that brings back memories of my training. My trainer took me back there before my assesment. It really is cool. They also have a room with a bunch of AA costumes, including the OLD Pharoh costume from SSE. It really is fun to find backstage. (I miss work now :( )

Kenan

regarding the layout of the kitchen kabaret from above....heres how the present day layout is and where everything is....

from where you see it marked "exit hall" count about 5 seats in and that is about where the current stand-by and fastpass marquee signs are....
when you enter there, your actually in the "seating" area for the former stage show.

the gathering/holding is where the exit corridor and fastpass machines are.

the squarish but not so squarish thing between the exit hall and entrance is still there but is a seating area typish thing.

just about next to the E of exit hall, is the soarin tour desk...

and then the entrance hall is about the area it curves to the left and then into the "main" soarin building

i think i hit just about all of it lol
you get to explore a lot when you are part of an opening of a building :animwink::animwink:

hope that helps...

maelstrom

This is completely unacceptable. Would it really have been so difficult for them to remove the entire Food Rocks set. This whole "we'll just build a wall around it and pretend it was never here" mentality they've got going has has got to stop. Disney, we expect better from you, and this is very disappointing. The geeks WILL find stuff like this, and it WILL get posted on the internet, and then you will be shamed into fixing it, when it should have been done in the first place.

TOTGuy

The colors and patterns in the pics look like a cross between Wonders of Life and Saved by the Bell.

LOL don't get me started on WOL colors. I found the WOL costumes in Cast Services this summer before they "disappeared" and they were HIDEOUS! I thought Land costumes were bad. They were neon yellow sweatpants and sweatshirts with neon pink, green, and the WOL Logo. Oh how I loathe the 80's. (Includind the "Members Only" Land Jacket)

LongballMG

WoL and BW Costumes

When did the WoL and BW Costumes disappear. When I left my summer CP i went to Epcot on the last day to check and see if they were still there given that the sign and DNA had been torn down and they were still there.

This was Aug 19.

Kenan

LOL don't get me started on WOL colors. I found the WOL costumes in Cast Services this summer before they "disappeared" and they were HIDEOUS! I thought Land costumes were bad. They were neon yellow sweatpants and sweatshirts with neon pink, green, and the WOL Logo. Oh how I loathe the 80's. (Includind the "Members Only" Land Jacket)

lol the land costumes were decent. some people liked it, haha. i was not a fan of them but i digress. and dont get me started on those jackets lol, with the pack like clips, yikes! haha i never had my own jacket, i always wore someone elses.

i had to wear the WoL costumes once cause they wouldnt let me wear my body wars costume in the pavilion since they moved me. (even tho i had done it before, and mgmnt didnt really care since the pavilion was seasonal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom