Writing letter to school concerning childs absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixiegirl

Ok so its that time of the year that I stress on writing a letter to my daughter's teacher and principal concerning her missing school due to our family vacation.. Does anyone have any tips on writing , last year we found a great letter to write concerning how it was going to be a learning vacation as well as a family one, but was curious if anyone had any tips on what they used...any help rather than the normal old standby ..
thanks guys, we leave next Fri 9/14 so I usually liketo get the letters out there early ..

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We are taking our daughter out in October for two weeks (she goes to private school) There are a set number of days in the semester that can be excused (I think its 10%). If more are missed, no credit for the semester is givin. We did this before when she was in Kindergarten. This will very likely be the last year we do it as our son starts next year.

On a side note, this conversation generally does not end up going very well. This is one of those hot topics where there are varying strong opinions. I personally feel that the time spent with family in this type of environment is just as beneficial as the time spent sitting in a classroom. The school work gets done so its not like a blind eye is turned to the structured learning. I would not, and have not, do this every year, and like I said, this is likely the last year (we are going to start going over Christmas break).

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Original Poster
I feel badly taking them out of school...but if we go during April vacatin week, it costs more than $1200 per airline ticket...for connecting flights... if we fly now, it costs that for our entire family to fly with a direct flight....plus free dining, etc... sorry but I can't afford to pay 6,000 just for transportation...

I'd rather we timed it for them to miss 4 days in October instead... but we are traveling with 3 other parties and this is when we could all arrange to go.

Funny that you say about price, I have a client who is a school teacher, 5th grade, So I didn't really say to much about taking my daughter during school time on vacation, well The other day my client had told me she and other teachers were talking about how some kids(first week of school) are already coming in with excuse letters of being taken out of school for vacation, well of course quite a few complained about "why can't parents just take them out when school is on vacation !" . Well I guess my client was talking to a parent who told her how much cheaper it was going when school is in session, well my client looks at me and says .."now I understand its cheaper!!!".. "I get!"..I told her She had me scared there for a minute, thought she was gonna yell at me!!..Well I wrote my letters to principal and teacher as well , have to cover all bases , my daughters principal is a nazi when it comes to missing school, she likes "Perfect attendance"..and my daughter knows, she has to work little harder when she comes back from vacation as well as before....They grow up way to fast, they're expected so much more than when we were kids it seems... Just the other day while driving in the car she told her father and I that sometimes while she's walking around Disney it feels like a dream.....just another reason why we go..just for that simple little thought..And she has been at least once or twice sometimes three times a year since she was a year old , now she's seven..Its nice to hear and see it never gets old!!

Have a great trip by the way....goes by too fast,
we leave in 10 more days!!!!

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
There is a wonderful excuse letter on at www.themouseforless.com Look under the downloads section on the left and click on "for the kids" and they have a real good excuse letter with examples of what your child will be learning taking a trip to disney world.

Check it out!!

I don't agree that it's "wonderful". I see it as an insult to the teacher's intelligence and if I were a teacher that received that type of letter I'd think the parents were manipulative and ridiculous. :shrug:

I personally feel that the time spent with family in this type of environment is just as beneficial as the time spent sitting in a classroom. The school work gets done so its not like a blind eye is turned to the structured learning. I would not, and have not, do this every year, and like I said, this is likely the last year (we are going to start going over Christmas break).

I agree 100%. I don't feel that I need to justify getting away for a vacation with my family to teachers. I'll write them a note saying I'm taking the kids out to spend some quality time with their dad on a vacation before he goes back overseas. Whether or not they agree with my decision is not my concern.

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

I don't agree that it's "wonderful". I see it as an insult to the teacher's intelligence and if I were a teacher that received that type of letter I'd think the parents were manipulative and ridiculous. :shrug:

:lookaroun

How 'bout this one?

"Dear Mrs. Norris, little Susie and Billy will be learning lots the next two weeks...like how the power of imagination always overcomes evil and how easy it is to walk from Mexico to Norway. Please give them lots of bonus credit for riding Splash Mountain, which teaches how rabbits and foxes once ruled in the American South, and watching Wishes, where they'll learn that Jiminy Cricket pwns all. In conclusion, Disney is for smart people. Love, Billy and Susie's Mommy"

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I don't know what my mom wrote, but we went to Florida when I was 6 (1st grade) and I had to keep a diary for school. I ended up wanting a bunch of post cards, so I would just write what we did that day on the post card, and that was my diary. My teacher had me read them to the class when I got back, and she kept them up on the wall the rest of the year.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Original Poster
I don't know what my mom wrote, but we went to Florida when I was 6 (1st grade) and I had to keep a diary for school. I ended up wanting a bunch of post cards, so I would just write what we did that day on the post card, and that was my diary. My teacher had me read them to the class when I got back, and she kept them up on the wall the rest of the year.

OHH I like that idea!! That would be great for my 7 year old....

Upvote 0

DisneyDellsDude

That's kind of what my sister had to do.

Upvote 0

maryszhi

About the Whole catholic school thing here where i live: my grammer schools were not strict at all they were actually nice about it. Even the sick days they werent strict, they new how illness go around. I was caught the flu many times,and caught strep. By colds were the worst. And if u turn ur work in on time b/f or after u leave u were fine. Also good grades were the icing on the cake. If ur grades wernt great, they would have to get better until they gave permission, again illness and special reasons would be put into the mix .Hight school: where i go not a chance , they are sooo stirct unless its a death or someting.. not going to happen, unless special reasons. But if i get spice girl tickets out of state.. i will beg and plead until they say yes. And i have good grades, so i hope they say yes.
~when you wish upon a star~
~a dream is what your heart makes~

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
Ok so its that time of the year that I stress on writing a letter to my daughter's teacher and principal concerning her missing school due to our family vacation.. Does anyone have any tips on writing , last year we found a great letter to write concerning how it was going to be a learning vacation as well as a family one, but was curious if anyone had any tips on what they used...any help rather than the normal old standby ..
thanks guys, we leave next Fri 9/14 so I usually liketo get the letters out there early ..

Dixiegirl, try this one:

"Dear (principal's name):
My son/daughter, (child's name), will be traveling with our family to Walt Disney World in (month). The trip will be from (to/from), causing him/her to miss __days of school. At this time, I would like to request that the absences be counted as excused due to the educational value that the trip will offer.

I would also request that this note be sent to (child's name's) teachers so that they could get his/her assignments ready prior to the trip. He/She will need to collect his/her assignments on (insert last day and date prior to trip). We will be glad to do any special projects that are necessary in order for this to be an excused absence.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this request and I look forward to hearing from you.

Your name,
Your email address
Your phone number"

Upvote 0

MickeyFan77

My 8 yr old son wanted a Journal with Jack Sparrow on it and I told him I would buy it but he would have to everynight write in it what we did for the day when we go. He said fine.

I Have already talked to his teacher and she was fine with it. I know I am not the only one who does it. She said that she would keep his work until he gets back. They are still basically reviewing when we go and I have been working with him all summer to keep him up so I don't think he will miss much. To me family time is more important, plus this is my husband's slow time of year.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Dixiegirl, try this one:

My son/daughter, (child's name), will be traveling with our family to Walt Disney World in (month). The trip will be from (to/from), causing him/her to miss __days of school. At this time, I would like to request that the absences be counted as excused due to the educational value that the trip will offer.

I would also request that this note be sent to (child's name's) teachers so that they could get his/her assignments ready prior to the trip. He/She will need to collect his/her assignments on (insert last day and date prior to trip). We will be glad to do any special projects that are necessary in order for this to be an excused absence.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this request and I look forward to hearing from you.

Your name,
Your email address
Your phone number"

It is impossible to package everything that is accomplished in the classroom into a neat little packet that you can take with you on a vacation. Plans change based on how well students grasp material. I'm always revising and rewriting lesson plans as the week goes on. It's simply not as easy as you make it seem.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Dixiegirl, try this one:

Your name,
Your email address
Your phone number"

I personally would not include Disney anywhere in the letter. Its irrelivant where you are taking the child in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
:lookaroun

How 'bout this one?

"Dear Mrs. Norris, little Susie and Billy will be learning lots the next two weeks...like how the power of imagination always overcomes evil and how easy it is to walk from Mexico to Norway. Please give them lots of bonus credit for riding Splash Mountain, which teaches how rabbits and foxes once ruled in the American South, and watching Wishes, where they'll learn that Jiminy Cricket pwns all. In conclusion, Disney is for smart people. Love, Billy and Susie's Mommy"

Um, every bit of the above is true...so I dont see the problem. :lookaroun :D

Upvote 0

mbly

I always thought it was funny that it could be problem for your children to miss school for a vacation. When every year our school band spends a week at Disney or some other place. Nobody thinks that's so bad. Our school has a form you fill out. What's really funny now is school started last week and the teachers may be going on strike this week! We leave for Disney in 18 days. My kids might not even miss any school at all.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
It is impossible to package everything that is accomplished in the classroom into a neat little packet that you can take with you on a vacation. It's simply not as easy as you make it seem.

Agreed. However, the point of this letter is not to put the onus on the teacher for family vacation plans, but to show a willingness of vacationing families to work with the school system. It is also not in the best interests of the student OR teacher for parents to have an attitude that the school does not have any business or a say in a student's absence. In whatever manner a parent addresses their child's absence with the school system it should take into consideration the concerns of both teacher and student.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Besides, we have teachers that take vacations in the middle of the year and our students get substitutes. Where my mom teaches, she gets 10 personal days a year (so she is taking off for our Oct 2008 with us).

I teach school in northern New York, and I've never known ANY teacher to take a family vacation during the school year! We are allowed two personal days per year, and our contract is VERY EXPLICIT about those days being used for personal BUSINESS. We cannot even use them to extend a school vacation.

Upvote 0
Agreed. However, the point of this letter is not to put the onus on the teacher for family vacation plans, but to show a willingness of vacationing families to work with the school system. It is also not in the best interests of the student OR teacher for parents to have an attitude that the school does not have any business or a say in a student's absence. In whatever manner a parent addresses their child's absence with the school system it should take into consideration the concerns of both teacher and student.

I think the attitude some parents take about the school not having any say in a student's absense comes from the old saying, "The best defense is a good offense". Some people don't like rules in their lives.

You want to work with the school system? Send your children to school when they're supposed to go there.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I always thought it was funny that it could be problem for your children to miss school for a vacation. When every year our school band spends a week at Disney or some other place.

Good point! :lol:

My senior trip consisted of several days spent at Disney. Apparently even schools believe that kids should be able to have a few days of fun now and then. :D

Upvote 0
Good point! :lol:

My senior trip consisted of several days spent at Disney. Apparently even schools believe that kids should be able to have a few days of fun now and then. :D
Band trips and cheerleader trips are usually scheduled by the school when nothing else is going on and the teachers know not to go into new material because a good chunk of their classes are missing.

Senior trips are traditionally at the end of the year, at least, they are in my area.

Upvote 0

kstella

I've always just told them my kids will not be there from this date to this date. I've never "asked" permission to take them out. I've never had a problem. Now we've reached the stage where my son has asked that we not take him out of school for more than a day or two (high school-advanced classes). The key is to tell them as soon as possible and remind them as the time is closer. My kids ask for their assignments enough ahead of time so that they have a good portion of their work done before we leave. Takes the stress off. Generally what they have left can be easily done on the flight to and from (2 1/2 hours each way).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom