Your suggestions for a first-time DisneyLand Guest

mickster

At night, look at the upper windows of the Haunted Mansion. You'll see a ghostly light moving from room to room.

Near the aforementioned wishing well by the Castle (it's on the right side if you are facing the Castle) there is a set of statues of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There is an interesting story about these statues. They arrived as an anonymous gift to Walt Disney one day, and the only clue as to their origin was that the packaged was postmarked in Italy. But the sculptor made an error, which the Imagineers cleverly disguised by using forced perspective. See if you can figure out what the error is.

mickster

It doesn't take a genious to figure out that Universal Studios Orlando is #6 since it always ranks higher then Hollywood or Islands of Adventure. Did you find the list yet themeparkinsider.com since you can't seem to find the list by yourself. Next time you call me liar make sure you know what you're talking about. Sorry I meant Ak not AKL.BTW making money has plenty to do with this because if the park is making money then people must like it so you have proved nothing by bashing it.

I'm familiar with themeparkinsider.com, thank you. I'm not sure why it took so much prodding to get you to tell me the source. Maybe it's because you don't consider it as reputable a source as Forbes.com (nor would anyone). Or maybe it's because you didn't really want me to go look at it. But since I did, I noticed a few interesting things that you probably didn't want pointed out.

First, the list you referenced was from 2005 estimated attendance figures. It's not based on any sort of voting from guests. You state that the amount of money the park makes is indicative of it's quality, but that's not really true if you know anything about market studies. (It should be noted, though, that this list was based on "estimated attendance", not the "amount of money made" as you stated). It has been widely reported that DCA benefits greatly by it's proximity to Disneyland. It's highly unlikely that a significant number of people visit DCA on it's own and ignore Disneyland. To use your phrase, "it doesn't take a genius" to realize that a vast majority of visitors to DCA are people who bought park hopper passes and are there to visit both parks. Also, it was widely reported (miceage.com is one such source) that during the peak season during the 50th, Disneyland was running at capacity and guests were subsequently forced to go to DCA instead. These points don't support DCA as being a quality park. I would put more stock in opinion polls.

And speaking of opinion polls, when looking at the "complete list of reviewed parks" on the site you referred me to, I noticed that there were several top ten lists to be found. One of them was a list of top ten best attractions. No attractions from DCA made the list. There was also a list of top ten most DISLIKED attractions. FOUR attractions from DCA made that list. FOUR!! Out of TEN!!! What does that tell you about this lame park? :hammer:

I suspect that's why you were reluctant to state your source for this list. I'm guessing you were hoping I wouldn't see this information and subsequently post it here. :lol:

Oh, and for the record... the list does refer to "universal" in the #6 position as being "Universal Studios Florida". #8 is "Islands of Adventure". I can just imagine where Islands of Adventure would be on this list if it were located just across from Disneyland instead of DCA. Since it is vastly superior to DCA, I imagine it would be much higher on the list than #6. Think about it...DCA has DISNEYLAND as it's draw to bring people in and it still is only #6 on the list. Once again, very telling. :lol:

Nicole220

Look for Walt Disney's apartment above the fire station on Main St. The light in the window was the signal that Walt was in residence.

Check out Aladdin's lamp in the back of the Bazaar in Adventureland across from JC. The Genie will speak to you (for a small fee)

Go into the Mad Hatter shop in Fantasyland and see if the Chesire Cat will magically appear in the mirror.

Ask if you can ride in the pilothouse on the Mark Twain riverboat.

Ask a Jungle Cruise CM for a map of the JC.

See if a CM can help you find the Eeyore parking lot sign in the Indy queue. ( It's in the room where they show the newsreel )
Some won't do it for you. These guys asked a couple weeks ago, and the lady said no. I always try and find it but am never successful. :(

Nicole220

At night, look at the upper windows of the Haunted Mansion. You'll see a ghostly light moving from room to room.

Near the aforementioned wishing well by the Castle (it's on the right side if you are facing the Castle) there is a set of statues of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There is an interesting story about these statues. They arrived as an anonymous gift to Walt Disney one day, and the only clue as to their origin was that the packaged was postmarked in Italy. But the sculptor made an error, which the Imagineers cleverly disguised by using forced perspective. See if you can figure out what the error is.
That's so cool! I never knew that. I'll check it out next time I go!

isitingood

I'm familiar with themeparkinsider.com, thank you. I'm not sure why it took so much prodding to get you to tell me the source. Maybe it's because you don't consider it as reputable a source as Forbes.com (nor would anyone). Or maybe it's because you didn't really want me to go look at it. But since I did, I noticed a few interesting things that you probably didn't want pointed out.

First, the list you referenced was from 2005 estimated attendance figures. It's not based on any sort of voting from guests. You state that the amount of money the park makes is indicative of it's quality, but that's not really true if you know anything about market studies. (It should be noted, though, that this list was based on "estimated attendance", not the "amount of money made" as you stated). It has been widely reported that DCA benefits greatly by it's proximity to Disneyland. It's highly unlikely that a significant number of people visit DCA on it's own and ignore Disneyland. To use your phrase, "it doesn't take a genius" to realize that a vast majority of visitors to DCA are people who bought park hopper passes and are there to visit both parks. Also, it was widely reported (miceage.com is one such source) that during the peak season during the 50th, Disneyland was running at capacity and guests were subsequently forced to go to DCA instead. These points don't support DCA as being a quality park. I would put more stock in opinion polls.

And speaking of opinion polls, when looking at the "complete list of reviewed parks" on the site you referred me to, I noticed that there were several top ten lists to be found. One of them was a list of top ten best attractions. No attractions from DCA made the list. There was also a list of top ten most DISLIKED attractions. FOUR attractions from DCA made that list. FOUR!! Out of TEN!!! What does that tell you about this lame park? :hammer:

I suspect that's why you were reluctant to state your source for this list. I'm guessing you were hoping I wouldn't see this information and subsequently post it here. :lol:

Oh, and for the record... the list does refer to "universal" in the #6 position as being "Universal Studios Florida". #8 is "Islands of Adventure". I can just imagine where Islands of Adventure would be on this list if it were located just across from Disneyland instead of DCA. Since it is vastly superior to DCA, I imagine it would be much higher on the list than #6. Think about it...DCA has DISNEYLAND as it's draw to bring people in and it still is only #6 on the list. Once again, very telling. :lol:

Let's get one thing clear, you don't know anything about me so don't assume why I do something. About the prodding I wasn't even on at the time you were begging for the list because if you had looked at the bottom of the page you would have noticed that I wasn't. Unlike you I am not on this site everyday and if you say you weren't begging well you waited a whole 9 min. between posts begging for the list. And if you knew about the list why did you keep asking what was 1-6?:lol: I never said the list was based on money what I said was at #7 the park is still making money there's a difference. I know the list is on estimated attendance but Universal openly admits the list is not far off. Attendance has a lot to do with a park making money. Disney parks just don't make money on tickets they make money also on food, drinks, souvenirs etc you get the point I hope. Epcot even struggled at the beginning but was helped by the MK. Do you think people would go to AK if it weren't for the MK? Now granted more people would now because of Everest but before Everest I wouldn't pay $60 for a Zoo when I can go to woodland Park Zoo here in Seattle or Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago for free. BTW I don't care if you saw that top 10 list so again you're assuming the four rides that were on the list I agree they should be on the list but 2 attractions from DL were also on the list so what does that tell you? Because I don't see DL hurting over this. I think it's safe to say you're not going to convince me and vice versa and also I know we got off on the wrong foot as I attacked you pretty harshly at the beginning which I apologize for.

mickster

Let's get one thing clear, you don't know anything about me so don't assume why I do something. About the prodding I wasn't even on at the time you were begging for the list because if you had looked at the bottom of the page you would have noticed that I wasn't. Unlike you I am not on this site everyday and if you say you weren't begging well you waited a whole 9 min. between posts begging for the list. And if you knew about the list why did you keep asking what was 1-6?:lol: I never said the list was based on money what I said was at #7 the park is still making money there's a difference. I know the list is on estimated attendance but Universal openly admits the list is not far off. Attendance has a lot to do with a park making money. Disney parks just don't make money on tickets they make money also on food, drinks, souvenirs etc you get the point I hope. Epcot even struggled at the beginning but was helped by the MK. Do you think people would go to AK if it weren't for the MK? Now granted more people would now because of Everest but before Everest I wouldn't pay $60 for a Zoo when I can go to woodland Park Zoo here in Seattle or Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago for free. BTW I don't care if you saw that top 10 list so again you're assuming the four rides that were on the list I agree they should be on the list but 2 attractions from DL were also on the list so what does that tell you? Because I don't see DL hurting over this. I think it's safe to say you're not going to convince me and vice versa and also I know we got off on the wrong foot as I attacked you pretty harshly at the beginning which I apologize for.

Whoa whoa, chill buddy. Calm down. It's okay (by the way, ever hear of punctuation? :lol: ).

I have no doubt that DCA makes money. It's been riding on the coattails of Disneyland since opening day and it was built on the cheap, so I'm sure it's profitable. Still, the Disney Company themselves have acknowledged it's not doing as well as they had hoped. That's why there's suddenly all kinds of changes in store, along with a "re-imagining" of the park's overall concept.

All this aside though, my point (which you seem to have missed) is not about whether or not it's making money, but rather to what degree people actually like this park and consider it worthwhile to visit. Outside of loyal, hardcore Disney fans, who will generally go nuts over anything if it comes from Disney (even tortillas...:lol: ), this park hasn't been generally embraced by people. I think the fact that nearly 50% of the Top Ten Most Disliked Attractions list (including #1 and #2) are DCA attractions supports this.

As far as WDW is concerned, the parks there all benefit from the synergy that is generated by one another. However, they are all high quality parks, each of which can easily stand on it's own without the help of the others. You can go back in history all you want and say, "Epcot even struggled at the beginning", but the point is, Epcot doesn't struggle now. Maybe the day will come when DCA is no longer struggling and no longer needs to ride on Disneyland's coattails to get anyone to go there. But that day has not arrived yet. As I've stated before, I'm not rating DCA on what it might be some day. I'm rating it based on what it currently is...which is not much, and hasn't been much since the day it opened.

isitingood

Whoa whoa, chill buddy. Calm down. It's okay (by the way, ever hear of punctuation? :lol: ).

I have no doubt that DCA makes money. It's been riding on the coattails of Disneyland since opening day and it was built on the cheap, so I'm sure it's profitable. Still, the Disney Company themselves have acknowledged it's not doing as well as they had hoped. That's why there's suddenly all kinds of changes in store, along with a "re-imagining" of the park's overall concept.

All this aside though, my point (which you seem to have missed) is not about whether or not it's making money, but rather to what degree people actually like this park and consider it worthwhile to visit. Outside of loyal, hardcore Disney fans, who will generally go nuts over anything if it comes from Disney (even tortillas...:lol: ), this park hasn't been generally embraced by people. I think the fact that nearly 50% of the Top Ten Most Disliked Attractions list (including #1 and #2) are DCA attractions supports this.

As far as WDW is concerned, the parks there all benefit from the synergy that is generated by one another. However, they are all high quality parks, each of which can easily stand on it's own without the help of the others. You can go back in history all you want and say, "Epcot even struggled at the beginning", but the point is, Epcot doesn't struggle now. Maybe the day will come when DCA is no longer struggling and no longer needs to ride on Disneyland's coattails to get anyone to go there. But that day has not arrived yet. As I've stated before, I'm not rating DCA on what it might be some day. I'm rating it based on what it currently is...which is not much, and hasn't been much since the day it opened.

I agree the park needs work, I never said it was better then the other 5 parks or did I say that Epcot struggles now. BTW Epcot is also almost 25 yrs old so it's had plenty of time to get on track.

mickster

I agree the park needs work, I never said it was better then the other 5 parks or did I say that Epcot struggles now. BTW Epcot is also almost 25 yrs old so it's had plenty of time to get on track.

Read my posts. Nowhere will you find that I've accused you of stating that DCA is "better than the other 5 parks". But you seemed to be trying to compare the fact that Epcot was struggling at the beginning to the fact taht DCA is struggling now. What was the point you were trying to make when you pointed out that "Epcot even struggled in the beginning but was helped by MK" (see post #50)? Obviously, you're bringing up an example from the past.

Also, what point are you trying to make when you state "Epcot is almost 25 yrs old so it's had plenty of time to get on track"? Are you saying it took Epcot 25 years to be able stand on it's own? If you say something to the effect of "Of course that's not what I was saying", then I have to ask what the point was of specifically bringing up that it's 25 years old.

isitingood

Read my posts. Nowhere will you find that I've accused you of stating that DCA is "better than the other 5 parks". But you seemed to be trying to compare the fact that Epcot was struggling at the beginning to the fact taht DCA is struggling now. What was the point you were trying to make when you pointed out that "Epcot even struggled in the beginning but was helped by MK" (see post #50)? Obviously, you're bringing up an example from the past.

Also, what point are you trying to make when you state "Epcot is almost 25 yrs old so it's had plenty of time to get on track"? Are you saying it took Epcot 25 years to be able stand on it's own? If you say something to the effect of "Of course that's not what I was saying", then I have to ask what the point was of specifically bringing up that it's 25 years old.

The point I was making is you're saying that DCA benefits from DL which I won't argue but I was comparing Epcot with the MK and that Epcot was helped also from the MK in the beginning not now. And about the 25 yrs all I was saying is that DCA is a young park compared to Epcot I know it didn't take Epcot 25 yrs to stand on it's own.

mickster

The point I was making is you're saying that DCA benefits from DL which I won't argue but I was comparing Epcot with the MK and that Epcot was helped also from the MK in the beginning not now. And about the 25 yrs all I was saying is that DCA is a young park compared to Epcot I know it didn't take Epcot 25 yrs to stand on it's own.

Still not sure what that has to do with what we talking about, but nevertheless, DCA currently does not stand on it's own...at all. It also currently is a pretty sad and weak park. It seems that nearly any time someone wants to defend DCA, they bring up how the other Disney parks had shakey starts. That's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that DCA is currently not worth the money to visit. Maybe some day it will be. But I'm not debating DCA based on what it might be some day. I'm basing my opinion on what it actually is right now. Therefore, comparisons to how other Disney parks used to be is irrelevant.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Wow..thanks everyone for all the GREAT tips on what "special secret" things one can find at DisneyLand! I can hardly wait to go off and find all of these things everyone here has suggested...( Evil Queen upstairs, Chesire Cat in the mirror..ghost lights..etc.)

Awesome stuff!! Thanks so much for pointing these out to me!

Okay, how about some suggestions for the yummiest dishes at DL. What are some of the best foodstuffs you have had there, aside from Dole Whips ( mmm...Dole Whips...:slurp: )

I will definately be having a meal at Blue Bayou. Thanks for telling me more about it earlier in this thread!

Rufus T Firefly

Wow..thanks everyone for all the GREAT tips on what "special secret" things one can find at DisneyLand! I can hardly wait to go off and find all of these things everyone here has suggested...( Evil Queen upstairs, Chesire Cat in the mirror..ghost lights..etc.)

Okay, how about some suggestions for the yummiest dishes at DL. What are some of the best foodstuffs you have had there, aside from Dole Whips ( mmm...Dole Whips...:slurp: )

I will definately be having a meal at Blue Bayou. Thanks for telling me more about it earlier in this thread!

OK, let's see:

mint juleps & fritters--New Orleans Square

corn dogs--red wagon at the end of Main St

baked potato soup--Carnation Cafe on Main St (say hello to Oscar)

turkey legs--Tomorrowland & Frontierland

churros--carts in several places

Nicole220

The churro and Dole Whip are "duh" ones for me. But I would suggest going to the Blue Ribbon Bakery on Main Street. They have many delicious treats! Some of my favorites are the dark mint patty and the chocolate covered strawberries. :slurp:

Skip

A meal I absolutely loved was on the first morning of my trip to Disneyland... we had used early entry for Disneyland Park and the rest of the gates had just opened. We had breakfast at the Riverbelle Terrace... they have delicious Mickey Mouse Pancakes with whipt cream and little berries for eyes and nose! It was so cute and it tasted wonderful.

-Skip

Launchpad

Account Suspended
Aladdin was a great show. Finding Nemo the Musical at Animal Kingdom is better though.

My all time favorite ride in the world is IJA at Disneyland. I wish they had it over here at the Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom