Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chip Chipperson

How is rider swap working when a single parent travels with a minor child? Im confused… and again for people who will be offered return to queue. Why has Disney NOT put anyone at ease. Its been a month since the announcement give or take. Im sure they have heard the feedback yet still done nothing to put people at ease that may be effected.
Rider Swap isn't the only option available. It is one option on a list. If there is a legitimate case where none of the standard options work then that is likely a situation where the Disney CM on the video call will consult with a medical expert to verify what solution works. Just because someone currently uses DAS doesn't mean there aren't other solutions that will meet their needs - even if it isn't the one they prefer. People are used to DAS because it is the only option. Disney should issue more information about the Return to Line option, but there is no reason to assume that it will just be a free-for-all of people leaving and returning with no way for other guests to figure out "Oh yeah, that person being brought through the line was obviously here before." If anything, that should cut down on the phony "rejoining our family" people and the altercations that ensue when someone tries to stop someone from getting back in line because they think - correctly or not - that they are trying to cut.

seabreezept813

Not to stir the pot but Rider Swap and Return to Line are not always options for people with physical disabilities. Say a party of 4, 2 parents or grandparents with 2 young children. The adult with DAS might need help at any time and cannot use a scooter or a wheelchair. There's no way that even 1 adult can remain in line or 1 adult with both children can wait in line. The children definitely cannot wait with the DAS holder. What happens if the person with the DAS has a medical situation? How do the CMs know where to find the rest of the family? This might be a rare situation but it can happen.
Rider Swap doesn’t really make sense in general. Let’s make the person with a disability ride with only one member of their family. Are people going to set up RS for Navi River.. it doesn’t make sense to not let people ride with their immediate family

Happyday

It's not just at Disney. And of course, the world is full of wonderful people. But it only takes one to mess up your day. We had a chair thrown at us at the tables outside of the Plaza Ice Cream Shop. All the tables were full so I asked my wife and daughter to wait under the shade of the umbrella so that I could find us a place to eat our ice cream. A group was saving space for their friends to watch the fireworks, overheard me say to stay put and started yelling at us to move. I tried to explain and one of them picked up a car and tossed it at my wife to "save"the space. Luckily for them I've been going to therapy for my anger issues and didn't kill em all. If it had hit her I'd probably be a thread topic. I did get security to talk to them though.
Wow! Unfortunately there are rude and entitled people out there and it appears to be getting worse. I have a feeling no matter who it was these people would have reacted with the same attitude, I was standing at a quick service station and there was a guy standing to the side talking on his phone and the CM looked at me for my order I didn't get 2 words out and this guy just went off on me about being there first swearing and squaring up as if he was going to get physical.
We used to have a side loading van, we went to our mall one day, there were no handicap parking spaces left so we found a pretty empty area and parked so we had an empty space on the side. We put safety cones out with handicap stickers and RAMP written on it so we would have that area to load. When we returned to the van there was a car parked right next to the van they had driven through from the other side moved the cones with their car to park right there. There were multiple empty spaces closer not to mention the space they drove through to park there. I am not saying there aren't idiots out there and again I hear and totally understand the frustration just know that there are people even in this thread that understand and are there for you and others in this situation.

pdude81

Making people pause their wait is going to be an even bigger logistical nightmare and one with legal issues.

Pushing people back into a queue where they physically left but not in the order of people is going to create a perception of cutting and problems. There is a reason Lightning Lanes (Express Pass queues) are physically separated from the standby queue. You will get altercations.

Someone with issues from prolonging sitting or standing would potentially be stuck never actually making progress in a queue. That’s a problem because it’s creating more of a barrier than it is access.
Definitely a logistical challenge. But Disney already also has problems with people "returning to line" and I have to assume this all factors into their intended solution. Leaving the line isn't really an accommodation for someone who has mobility issues either as far as I understand. This would be more for anxiety and bathroom issues.

I really don't know how they intend to have people return to their place in line without fistfights in the aisles, unless there is a true "return to line" badge or pass that can be displayed, or if they create some additional merge points to return to. Even then you'd need to have people check out of the line before they check back in.

Tha Realest

Definitely a logistical challenge. But Disney already also has problems with people "returning to line" and I have to assume this all factors into their intended solution. Leaving the line isn't really an accommodation for someone who has mobility issues either as far as I understand. This would be more for anxiety and bathroom issues.

I really don't know how they intend to have people return to their place in line without fistfights in the aisles, unless there is a true "return to line" badge or pass that can be displayed, or if they create some additional merge points to return to. Even then you'd need to have people check out of the line before they check back in.
I keep hearing about how these changes will result in fistfights in the aisles, disgruntled screaming at GR CMs…

Disagreement with policies never excuses bad behavior. Those people that do those things should be trespassed, full stop.

Splash4eva

I keep hearing about how these changes will result in fistfights in the aisles, disgruntled screaming at GR CMs…

Disagreement with policies never excuses bad behavior. Those people that do those things should be trespassed, full stop.
Totally agree. Another head scratcher that seems to keep coming up in this discussion.

Splash4eva

Exactly but unfortunately bad behavior has not been addressed before it gets out of hand. They don't have enough security with all the bad behavior that we are seeing.
& again. Who’s fault is that?!? I agree guests need to behave etc but bottom line is Disney has a duty and they seem to fail at times when it comes to this.

pdude81

Correct, but there have been more complaints and conflicts from people walking through the line after going to the bathroom to begin with (from non-DAS guests in SB queue). What I was saying is that Disney will have to put together some sort of system that allows people to re-enter lines safely, or else they actually run the risk of losing a legal challenge.

The major benefit they get from this is that people who theoretically might have an issue and need to leave the line will only do so when necessary, thus cutting way back on the number of people in the LL queue. However, they need to have a plan in place to deal with incidents as they arise (or better yet, preventing them). Simplistic solutions like "just ban them" doesn't help unless the behavior of all parties to a conflict is easily determined. And given that we've already had some brawl video incidents in recent years, Disney couldn't pretend they didn't know that guests trying to return to their spot in line wouldn't face additional risk. This all really depends on the implementation.

BatuuTraveler

So everyone does realize that they actually already do return to line with success, right? Someone in my party has bathroom issues that require them to get out of line several times a trip, always when we've already been in line a while. And no, we do not use DAS. They have no issue exiting the line (people really only care when you try to return). They have a quick convo with the cast member at the entrance, explain the situation, go to the bathroom and are then led back through the lightning lane merge where they wait for the rest of the party. We identify them as part of our party to the cast member and they are allowed to join us post merge. Absolutely no issues.

pdude81

So everyone does realize that they actually already do return to line with success, right? Someone in my party has bathroom issues that require them to get out of line several times a trip, always when we've already been in line a while. And no, we do not use DAS. They have no issue exiting the line (people really only care when you try to return). They have a quick convo with the cast member at the entrance, explain the situation, go to the bathroom and are then led back through the lightning lane merge where they wait for the rest of the party. We identify them as part of our party to the cast member and they are allowed to join us post merge. Absolutely no issues.
If they designate the LL return point for meeting up with the others waiting, that is a reasonable solution. And what you said is that the person actually waits in line until they need a return pass. This seems reasonable except when the person needing to leave the line has only minor children with them and then they all need to return somehow, or if the person with bathroom issues is by themselves. There will be many opportunities to test each groups unique situations and see how it plays out.

You were doing this on a small scale where the cast had discretion. Reportedly with updates to DAS, cast will have no discretion on who gets what accommodation. And the number of people needing to return to line will be much greater in a month. I hope that your example will work for most people at the increased scale.

Happyday

Correct, but there have been more complaints and conflicts from people walking through the line after going to the bathroom to begin with (from non-DAS guests in SB queue). What I was saying is that Disney will have to put together some sort of system that allows people to re-enter lines safely, or else they actually run the risk of losing a legal challenge.

The major benefit they get from this is that people who theoretically might have an issue and need to leave the line will only do so when necessary, thus cutting way back on the number of people in the LL queue. However, they need to have a plan in place to deal with incidents as they arise (or better yet, preventing them). Simplistic solutions like "just ban them" doesn't help unless the behavior of all parties to a conflict is easily determined. And given that we've already had some brawl video incidents in recent years, Disney couldn't pretend they didn't know that guests trying to return to their spot in line wouldn't face additional risk. This all really depends on the implementation.
You are correct they unfortunately need more cast members to catch the behavior before it escalates but this is a catch 22 because more cast members means more expense which then leads to higher prices then to more upset people...they do need to find a way to give consequences before it becomes a trespass situation🤷🏻‍♀️
Unfortunately we as a society do not seem to understand common courtesy anymore IMO.

TrainsOfDisney

These changes will result in slightly annoyed people in the aisles and frustrated guests making complaints at GR.

Is that better?

Now…. Maybe Disney could create a policy that avoids both of these! Win win!

Disstevefan1

I attached a screenshot of the relevant portion. There is literally a quote from Disneyland indicating that they sold it for more than face value, and then two paragraphs below that they write a full apology appearing to admit to it.
It’s funny the article says he offered them for face value and Disney says he sold them for twice the price. The truth doesn’t matter either way, Disney is in control in any event.

Disney plays hardball when it comes to this stuff.

The ONLY thing to do here was to call Disney and explain about getting COVID. I really do think he would have gotten refunds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom