“Something major” coming to DHS???

PK2

I almost agree with this. I would take an E-Ticket's budget worth of dark rides for DHS. Flat rides have their place in the pantheon of attraction types, but Disney's bread and butter are family-friendly dark rides. The Little Mermaid omnimover was reputed to have cost 100+ million back in the day. Give me 3 or 4 of those type of rides at DHS. The park's problem is not a lack of headliner attractions (Rise, Falcon, Tower, RnR, Mickey, Slinky). It needs the supporting cast of attractions.

Genuinely, if they just added a new Omnimover and a few flats to the parks that particularly need more capacity, it would make a huge difference. Encanto should 100% be a sensibly-budgeted Omnimover, it's designed well for the intimacy of touring a multi-floored home, and they can even explain the casita is moving the vehicles along like it does with people by moving the tiles. But you just know it's gonna be a trackless system with wide open rooms that costs a heap, takes a half-decade to build, and then doesn't move many people per hour. Similarly, DHS is gonna end up with some overpriced headliner project that doesn't address what it really needs.

mattpeto

I don't see why. There are multiple examples.
  • Nemo: AK and Epcot
  • BATB: MK, Epcot, and HS
  • Little Mermaid: MK and HS
  • Frozen: HS and Epcot
Not to mention the same characters in multiple parks and more than one IP in Mickey's Philarmagic, including Lion King which is also obviously in AK.

Oh yeah plenty of examples, don't love all the use cases though (I realize that's not your point).

Maybe the could move the Stunt Show to the Nemo musical location and change Dinosaur to Indy, and really have a proper home for Indy stuff. Gives them plenty of space at DHS to build out that new rumored land.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
And NOT RESKINS of Existing or Mothballed Attractions. MMRR is still a downgrade to me from GRM!!
Agreed. It’s so, so good at Disneyland though, but ironically that park didn’t need the capacity boost anywhere near as much as HWS, and they not only added MMRR, they have one of the best queues at any Disney ride, and they redid the entirety of Toontown.

Mostly because they wanted MMRR to be rushed to open by Galaxy’s Edge’s opening and that didn’t even happen.

The Leader of the Club

As Disney can't really put a huge band of superheroes like Marvel characters in Disney Hollywood Studios why not use The Incredibles? I always thought it was fairly popular and solves the whole "where are the superheroes?" to people who go and don't understand about the whole convoluted history with Universal & Disney.

Retheme rock"n"rollercoaster to something like Incredicoaster where you have to go save jack-jack (it'd work loads better in a dark environment than the open aired coaster at California) and then create another street using the car park and launch bay and stick an Incredibles E-ticket with a few flat rides in the area.

It's an IP that's definitely underutilised. Especially in the Florida parks, given the Disney/Universal situation.
My pitch for Animation Courtyard has always been Superhero Square. Add Incredibles, Big Hero 6, and whatever MCU characters you can (Dr. Strange) to create a land that celebrates all superheroes and isn’t confined to a sad industrial square like DCA’s is.

Bocabear

yeah but they can't use any Marvel characters, so good or not, the point is moot.
They really need to stick to available IP. So far none of the Superhero stuff they have built for the Disney theme parks are particularly compelling...

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Imagine a a flying ride similar to Dumbo or Tomorrowland Rockets with a Dr Strange animatronic in the center “guiding” it using his powers. A cool ride yet a people eater and not another E Ticket
Dumbo spinners are not "people eaters" though. Flat rides only round out park capacity if you have a large quantity of them spread evenly around the park.

Prince-1

yeah but they can't use any Marvel characters, so good or not, the point is moot.
They really need to stick to available IP. So far none of the Superhero stuff they have built for the Disney theme parks are particularly compelling...

They can absolutely use Marvel characters in WDW, just not all of them. It’s why we have the Guardians ride in Epcot.

Splash4eva

The biggest question in this area is not what would cause Universal to completely relinquish the Marvel rights, but what would be necessary to give up the exclusive rights to Marvel east of the Mississippi.

As it stands, Universal is sort of in stasis with the Marvel section. They really can't add anything new (as Disney may be loathe to approve), but have to maintain what exists to keep their rights. And their attractions are based on four main categories: Hulk, X-men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man. Two of those segments should have major films coming in the next several years. Could Disney offer access to the film versions of those characters in exchange for the right to build Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, etc attractions in addition to what is at Universal?

That's a more interesting question that could reap benefits for both parties.
Does it really matter tho in the end? Disney has a ton of IP they can use and here we are with capacity lacking literally in every park. Buildings empty. Entertainment still not back. The list is endless. So end of day getting Marvel rights would do what? Over lay existing attractions… hard pass.

scottb411

They can absolutely use Marvel characters in WDW, just not all of them. It’s why we have the Guardians ride in Epcot.
I think they are saving their super heroes for a fifth gate (ie. Marvel + Incredibles & Big Hero Six). I think a "Heroes and Villains" park would be a great 5th gate. I think the villains talk at MK is a decoy for something else they have planned to gauge interest.

Tha Realest

Original Poster
MMRR is value engineered garbage. I have no idea how that got green lit.
I really enjoy the ride and experience. But it is fascinating how much a queue can affect one’s perspective.

When I ride at DHS I get wistful at what it replaced, and a little disappointed by comparison

When I ride at DLR, I am beyond charmed by its setting and the care it put into the queue.

Brian

I really enjoy the ride and experience. But it is fascinating how much a queue can affect one’s perspective.

When I ride at DHS I get wistful at what it replaced, and a little disappointed by comparison

When I ride at DLR, I am beyond charmed by its setting and the care it put into the queue.
Well said. In a vacuum, it's a pretty good attraction. When viewed in the context of what it replaced, I consider it mediocre.

Tha Realest

Original Poster
Well said. In a vacuum, it's a pretty good attraction. When viewed in the context of what it replaced, I consider it mediocre.
Thanks. But have you been to DL? The place setting there and the queue make it feel like an entirely different attraction.

DHS just primes me for a 20-minute extravaganza featuring a sequence of AA-rich recreations of classic films (half of which I never saw but loved the experience nonetheless)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom