News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

TP2000

You made the assumption that it meant aging her up decades, I never made such a claim.

No, I didn't. No one said "decades". She doesn't look 50, she now looks 30-ish, instead of looking 20-ish in the movie. A bunch of us were commenting on how the new Tiana animatronic makes her look older and more mom like. I even used the term "mom-hairdo" to describe her new hairstyle that is different than her Princess updo she had in the movie.

And then you swooped in with several comments that this was all planned and all announced by Disney that Tiana was going to be aged by years in the ride, and if we were surprised by this news we hadn't been paying attention.

When in reality, this is just an unflattering photo of an animatronic in warehouse lighting and a questionable casting decision by a Disneyland Entertainment Dept. manager or two. And the info you yourself provided for Disney has Tiana's Foods being founded in 1927, one year after the movie took place.

This isn't new information. The attraction announcement since day one has stated to be after the events of the movie, and subsequent information since has come out that its set years after the movie. Even the art work shows Tiana in new outfits and older than the movie. So not sure why this is now a surprise 3+ years later for some.

They will have merch from both the new attraction and from the movie, both iterations of the character.

So in reality, the ride is taking place in about 1928, and theoretically Tiana should still be a pretty young woman. But that new mom-hairdo isn't helping her much.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
That is not the way in which you originally claimed the value engineering occurred. You claimed reuse.
I don’t think I used the term value engineering to describe that but if I did it was the wrong term to use. My original point to which I’ve been corrected was that there could be cost savings in reusing the engineering and design from past AA. That apparently is wrong based on how AAs are designed and built.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, I didn't. No one said "decades". She doesn't look 50, she now looks 30-ish, instead of looking 20-ish in the movie. A bunch of us were commenting on how the new Tiana animatronic makes her look older and more mom like. I even used the term "mom-hairdo" to describe her new hairstyle that is different than her Princess updo she had in the movie.

And then you swooped in with several comments that this was all planned and all announced by Disney that Tiana was going to be aged by years in the ride, and if we were surprised by this news we hadn't been paying attention.

When in reality, this is just an unflattering photo of an animatronic in warehouse lighting and a questionable casting decision by a Disneyland Entertainment Dept. manager or two. And the info you yourself provided for Disney has Tiana's Foods being founded in 1927, one year after the movie took place.

So in reality, the ride is taking place in about 1928, and theoretically Tiana should still be a pretty young woman. But that new mom-hairdo isn't helping her much.
I don't think the AA hair a "mom-hairdo", as period appropriate for the late 1920s, or even the early 1930s (if it happens to fall into that period).

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
20240215_190634.jpg
20240215_191202.jpg

I'm patiently waiting hoping to get a video of a log test. 🤞

Edit: I just peeked through the mesh and water is running behind the construction walls too. Unfortunately I can't get a photo of it but everything is testing right now, besides logs, so far...

Last edited:

TP2000

That was said early in the Disneyland discussion a few days ago, when the only image we saw of the animatronic was under warehouse lighting. And from a quote from @Disney Irish where he was pretending to speak with authority that Disneyland was making conscious decisions to cast older looking actresses as Tiana in the park at the Disneyland restaurant. That now appears to not be the case, and the animatronic has since been shown to look better under better lighting conditions.

What I have been reminded of by this hilarity is that one must take anything Mr. Irish says, even when said repeatedly with a tone of authority, with a grain of salt.

He was simply speculating that Tiana would be noticeably aged for her new role in the ride and appearances in the parks.

Tiana's ride is set in roughly 1928, not the 1930's, and her animatronic will look more flattering and prettier with better lighting. And hopefully Disneyland's Entertainment Department can find actresses that look more like a 22 year old Tiana in the future.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That was said early in the Disneyland discussion a few days ago, when the only image we saw of the animatronic was under warehouse lighting. And from a quote from @Disney Irish where he was pretending to speak with authority that Disneyland was making conscious decisions to cast older looking actresses as Tiana in the park at the Disneyland restaurant. That now appears to not be the case, and the animatronic has since been shown to look better under better lighting conditions.

What I have been reminded of by this hilarity is that one must take anything Mr. Irish says, even when said repeatedly with a tone of authority, with a grain of salt.

He was simply speculating that Tiana would be noticeably aged for her new role in the ride and appearances in the parks.
I've never made claims or even inferred to be of any authority regard Disney inside information. All information I have is provided by Disney themselves in their own blogs.

her animatronic will look more flattering and prettier with better lighting.
This has literally been said by myself and others in the DL Tiana thread.

MerlinTheGoat

Great it’s good to hear that Disney is committed to not cut things during development and execution.

Just curious were the budget increases because of cost overruns or inadequate forecasting or wanting to do more for the attraction experience?
Wanting to do more for the attraction experience.

There was a cynical sort of way in which this decision was made to be entirely fair, namely that executives were expecting a more unanimous positive reaction to the initial announcement. There was more of a backlash than they expected, and a more lukewarm response even from many of the people who they expected to support the retheme.

So as I understand it, a decision was reached that they can't get away with half-a$$ing this project. At least, as far as rethemes of existing rides go (that should have been from-scratch builds). The budget is apparently safely padded. It's not a cheap project with no effort put into it, regardless of whatever anyone says. And there is seemingly passion and talent behind it. So we'll see.

I know I say this a lot, but what is even going on in this thread?

I agree that the "Tiana is a reskinned Belle" claim is absurd, but you can't deny that there's been a lot of "you can't say anything negative about this retheme" in this thread.
I'm still against this retheme happening at all and remain doubtful that it will ever live up to what it's replacing. This isn't based on information told to me though, it's just because I have such a high opinion of the predecessor and it's hard to imagine that modern WDI has the talent to pull off a suitable replacement. My source however believes there's a good chance of this ride turning out really well and potentially serving as a worthy replacement for Splash (and they share my opinions of Splash and are also against the retheme).

But i'm not going to fabricate false claims in order to fit an agenda as i've seen people doing lately. If any of the stuff i've been told about this attraction turns out to be false, you'll see me swiftly apologizing and join in with the haters. I have very high standards and expectations, and there will be hell to pay if they're not met.

James Alucobond

I know I say this a lot, but what is even going on in this thread?

I agree that the "Tiana is a reskinned Belle" claim is absurd, but you can't deny that there's been a lot of "you can't say anything negative about this retheme" in this thread.
On the contrary, there are several people who refuse to acknowledge anything positive about this retheme. Most posters who can generally find good things to say about what we've seen so far still express reservations about elements that look dubious at the moment, like the murals, the cheugy text on the back of the watertower, the lack of certain characters in the known narrative, etc. By contrast, there are people who, without resorting to exaggeration, only come into this thread to post negatively about every bit of new information regardless of what it is.

Disney Analyst

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
what was the announcement? Was it an announcement in the construction site or the park?
Sorry, I just saw this, but it was an announcement for the Imagineers on-site when they sent the log out of the load station. There was someone at the top of the 50-foot drop with a flashlight making sure the track was clear, and another person walking the track at the splashdown area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom