News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

lentesta

Premium Member
I’m not sure the downtime cause distribution, but I know a noticeable chunk of downtimes were caused by people escaping (or trying to escape) their logs, and that won’t be fixed because you can’t fix the stupid.

I rode Secret Life of Pets out in Universal Hollywood with Jim Hill and Jim Shull (former WDI exec). One of the things we noticed was that the TMs really, really push down on that safety bar lock, even though the ride moves at like 1.5 miles per hour. And Shull theorized they do that so you don't jump out of the ride to take selfies with the pets. 100% believable.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
To clarify once again, the often referenced number "17" in regards to this attraction's figures is referring to the amount of new major characters created for the story. It is not how many total animatronics are in the ride. This number came from a prior press release, which I was also told prior to the PR statement back in 2022. But the clickbait community over the past few months stumbled across this number and jumped to their own incorrect conclusions based on this. Whether because they legitimately didn't know any better and misinterpreted it, or (as I now suspect is the case) they know it's wrong but are pushing a agenda for attention and clicks. Regardless, it stands as evidence that they are just twisting already public information and pretending they have an inside source telling them this. Heck, the "9 figures in the finale" was stolen from Splash Archive without credit (which again I was also told is outdated and no longer accurate), and he didn't even correctly interpret THAT.

Also note that of the 17 new characters, this does not include the returning cast from the film. Tiana, Naveen, Louis, Mama Odie (and her pet snake probably), Charlotte, Eudora, Big Daddy, Ralphie and both of Naveen's parents are all going to be in the ride and have AA figures. So add another 10 on top of that, so we're up to 27. Which to be fair, would still be significantly and unaccepably less than Splash if that was the end of it. But we're not done. Now factor in that Tiana, Naveen and Louis alone will receive several AA's each throughout the attraction, as will a lot of the other new critters. And also consider that there are likely going to be other minor critters who aren't part of the main cast.

Their only similarity is that they're cartoony human A1000 figures of a similar size (as opposed to a realistic one such as Hondo). That's where the similarities end. Their faces don't even look remotely the same. If Tiana is a "reskin" of Belle, then the vast majority of same-model human animatronics that Disney has ever made are reskins of each other just by nature of them sharing endos with each other.
1708025548702.png

1708025582960.png

1708025628613.png

Yeah the two AA look a little the same I guess. Disney was not going to make a custom AA for this ride so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they have similar appearances.

I think the most noticeable difference is the way the AA character presents in 3D, but that is going to happen anytime you have a change from the 2D version everyone is used to seeing.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yeah the two AA look a little the same I guess. Disney was not going to make a custom AA for this ride so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they have similar appearances.
Maybe I’m showing my ignorance but I always assumed animatronics were based on a standardized inside (in this case an A1000) and then customized on the outside (face, clothing, etc) for the individual characters.

Pirates of the Caribbean has dozens of animatronics but they are all similar in how they move, look, etc. They are all different but also kind of the same.

I’d expect the same of all the A1000s, unless it’s something like a 10’ alien I’d assume they’d all use the same frames and internals to make maintenance and upkeep easier.

Tiana sharing features with the other recent Animatronics isn’t surprising to me, I’m just glad they are doing away with the projected faces, they’ve always looked weird.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
@WDW Pro has shared, via Youtube, that there are 17 audio animatronics, with 9 appearing in the ending. It seems that it will either be screen heavy or foliage dependent.

Pro is not a credible source. What little info he has, he spins it to be hypercritical of Disney in order to get the clicks ($$). And then he makes up the rest, or steals it from other sources without attribution.

There is speculation that it is a Belle audio animatronic with Tiana's face, which was a cost savings measure. The focus has been on the chin and cheek structure.

"There is speculation" -- That's not a source. "Speculation" is just "guessing." Are we to opine or discuss in length, or get mad at someone's guessing?

Well, yeah, we do that all the time, but with our own guesswork and label it as such, and keep it out of a thread that's supposed to be just to monitor construction.

MerlinTheGoat

Is he always been this negative?
Yeah. He gained a fanbase several years ago when he managed to acquire an info dump that had some legitimate accuracy. Though some of this was already circulating the rumor mill beforehand anyway, like this retheme. And a significant amount of the accurate negativity is merely repeating what everyone else could clearly see was written on the wall (like the failures of the Starcruiser or the other management cuts which have been ongoing for decades now).

Whatever/whoever his source was at the time, it dried up very quickly. He started to post really crazy and obviously made up conspiracy theories about the company. The most absurd being that Bob Chapek was a genius messiah like figure who would save the company and usher in a new renaissance of sorts, and that Bob Iger would imminently become a disgraced pariah due to illegal dealings that would soon be made public thanks to Chapek.

There's endless amounts of real negative things Disney is doing. And that's a significant factor in how he was able to gain popularity. He's repeating a lot of stuff that people already know from regular observation. But following his initial list of predictions that made a name for him (not all of which ended up happening, but I will at least say had the potential of happening), the stuff that originates from Pro (and wasn't parroted from others or easily verified by basic observation) has had a ton of inaccuracies.

From what I and now other have been told, he's been wrong about pretty much everything regarding this ride following the initial announcement (after the early blue sky plans that were scrapped pretty quickly). He's still claiming the budget is tiny, likely using the old $40 million figure he got ahold of. While this budget was indeed accurate back in 2020 when it was first announced, it has since skyrocketed and the project has become dramatically more ambitious. Demolition work alone ended up allocating that exact amount according to a permit. And that isn't including anything that was put back in such as infrastructure, paint, scenery or animatronics etc. Pro seems to still be peddling that initial $40 mil for the overall budget. I don't know whether he's unaware that things have changed or (just as likely) won't admit he was wrong because optimistic comments are antithetical to his agenda. Maybe both though because again it also seems apparent that he doesn't know anything about the finalized plans regardless.

There's plenty I don't know about this ride myself of course. Including an exact number of AA's it will have. I am more than confident however that it has FAR more than 17. Should be multiple times that.

Last edited:

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
So, Belle looks old?
I'm not sure why everyone is getting so defensive. They have similar facial features and appearance. I don't think there's anything nefarious about it.

If the issue was money, how much money could Disney have saved by copy/pasting the face of an AA? Seems kinda ridiculous.

yensidtlaw1969

View attachment 768588
View attachment 768589
View attachment 768590

I think the most noticeable difference is the way the AA character presents in 3D, but that is going to happen anytime you have a change from the 2D version everyone is used to seeing.

I'm not sure why everyone is getting so defensive. They have similar facial features and appearance. I don't think there's anything nefarious about it.

If the issue was money, how much money could Disney have saved by copy/pasting the face of an AA? Seems kinda ridiculous.

With respect, people aren't getting defensive, they're just correcting you.

The Tiana Animatronic is custom. She was also very expensive. I don't know where this idea came from that Animatronics and their inner workings are so easily interchangable, but it's very far from the truth.

The reason she and Belle look at all similar is because the Disney Princesses characters - at least the hand-drawn ones - follow similar design principles. Their proportions, body types, and facial structures have historically been drawn with many similarities. Thankfully Disney started to break that mold in the 90's, but there's still a clear consistency throughout the hand-drawn Princesses, for better or worse:

1708030004805.png

Disney spent gobs of money on Tiana's Bayou Adventure. Thankfully, that should be evident in the finished product - attractions like Cosmic Rewind prove that the money doesn't always get spent in ways that are visible on-stage. Tiana's will not be like that.

On top of that, Disney's Animatronics are hugely expensive, especially A1000's like Tiana and Belle. This idea that Tiana is simply a reskinned Belle is silly for 2 reasons - 1) Because Disney does not produce extras of these massively complex and extravagant figures, and 2) Because the only thing more difficult than trying to capture the likeness and performance of an iconic character in a scratch-built Animatronic would be to try to do the same thing using a base that was not designed for that character. There's no world in which they could or would throw a Tiana skin on a Belle Animatronic and expect it to look partway decent. Not that there are any spare Belles to do that with in the first place.

Purduevian

but why would they do that? It is one of the longest rides in the park already...Slowing the logs down also allows stupid people to try and get out of their logs....If anything I would they would try and speed things up...Higher throughput...get people to that Beignet stand!!

If they were to make changes to the ride speed, which I doubt, it would be to speed it up to increase capacity. Not slow it down
The ride speed does not affect the hourly capacity (unless there are not enough logs to restock the load/unload)
The only 2 things that affect ride hourly capacity are:
1) Number of people per vehicle
2) Average dispatch time of vehicle

Ride time, number to vehicles on track, speed of attraction (outside of loading area), track length, ect. Do not affect the hourly capacity.

Sectorkeeper71

The ride speed does not affect the hourly capacity (unless there are not enough logs to restock the load/unload)
The only 2 things that affect ride hourly capacity are:
1) Number of people per vehicle
2) Average dispatch time of vehicle

Ride time, number to vehicles on track, speed of attraction (outside of loading area), track length, ect. Do not affect the hourly capacity.
In this hypothetical, would there not be more dispatched per hour because logs were going through faster? Or is that negligible and just cause bigger backups at the station?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom