News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Fox&Hound

I read the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District was not playing nice and slowing down permitting and being a pain in the butt. Does anyone know if this will hurt Disney's expansion plans in the parks? Or will they be able to push through? Thoughts?

yensidtlaw1969

There's a mystery IP that my source told me is in serious contention for Beyond Big Thunder, an IP they thought didn't fit well in Magic Kingdom at all. Cars Land fits that bill, in my opinion, but they wouldn't tell me specifics since it was told to them in confidence.
In full fairness, there are hundreds of IPs that could fit the description of "an IP that doesn't fit well in Magic Kingdom". Cars Land fitting that incredibly broad bill isn't particularly indicative.

Of the various ideas I've heard bandied about for Beyond Big Thunder, Cars Land has yet to come up from anyone trustworthy.

yensidtlaw1969

I read the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District was not playing nice and slowing down permitting and being a pain in the butt. Does anyone know if this will hurt Disney's expansion plans in the parks? Or will they be able to push through? Thoughts?
Disney will likely be able to do generally what it wants and when it wants to - but it also seems likely that Disney is going to be strategic with what and when it builds while the CFTOD is around.

It's less that Disney will be stopped from doing what they want and more that they will change what they want to do of their own accord to suit their larger purposes.

Does that help?

Brer Oswald

Coco being behind BTM just makes so much thematic sense, would provide a location to put Mexican food being evicted from Pecos for creole, is an extremely popular IP and has a fantastical setting that is easy fodder to create a compelling ride. I don’t know why they would deviate from that.
In theory, it makes a lot more sense than what they’ve come up with for Tiana. But who knows, they could take it in some crazy direction that lacks visual cohesion with BTMRR.

Brer Oswald

In full fairness, there are hundreds of IPs that could fit the description of "an IP that doesn't fit well in Magic Kingdom". Cars Land fitting that incredibly broad bill isn't particularly indicative.

Of the various ideas I've heard bandied about for Beyond Big Thunder, Cars Land has yet to come up from anyone trustworthy.
What else would they even put over there besides Villains now that Encanto is going to DAK? It won’t be Star Wars. It probably won’t be Frozen. It won’t be New Orleans. It won’t be an original idea. Zootopia? Aladdin? I just don’t see this thing going through.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Visually, Radiator Springs transitions well from behind Big Thunder, but other than that the IP is a bad fit for MK. Radiator Springs represents a bygone town of the 1950s-1960s experiencing a touristy kitsch revival in the early 2000s. While the history of Route 66's western expansion is an interesting one, it stands a century apart from the westward expansion of the American frontier. Also, sentient automobiles are a significantly greater narrative leap from what Frontierland has seen before than sentient frogs and other bayou animals.

Although I would prefer Orlando and Anaheim have as many unique experiences as possible to differentiate the resorts, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be first in line for a retooled Radiator Springs at DHS. Perhaps if situated on the land/offices behind animation courtyard we could opt for an altered RnRC and Racing Academy as our secondary attractions with a cloned RSR anchoring. Alas, they don't let me make decisions still.

Bocabear

Grizzly Gulch from Hong Kong Disneyland would be a perfect fit...with some new attractions instead of the coaster since Big Thunder is already there...But knowing the sort of theme Chaos that they are doing lately I would not be surprised if they thought Frozenland would be the perfect fit for that area....

In the Parks
No
Grizzly Gulch from Hong Kong Disneyland would be a perfect fit...with some new attractions instead of the coaster since Big Thunder is already there...But knowing the sort of theme Chaos that they are doing lately I would not be surprised if they thought Frozenland would be the perfect fit for that area....
Grizzly River Run, perhaps...

But I don't know if they'd want two rapids rides overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom