News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

yensidtlaw1969

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

Skibum1970

I realize that this has been discussed ad nauseum but expansions need to go in Hollywood Studios. The Kingdom is packed enough and has a wide assortment of rides whereas Studios really needs to be developed further. Some people-eater rides, such as omnimovers or boat rides similar to PoTC, would really help spread the crowds out. I see this being built at MK as really clogging up the crowds. Plus, unless they had a back pathway to connect to Storybook Circus, this would be a crowd disaster with one way in/out.

ToTBellHop

I realize that this has been discussed ad nauseum but expansions need to go in Hollywood Studios. The Kingdom is packed enough and has a wide assortment of rides whereas Studios really needs to be developed further. Some people-eater rides, such as omnimovers or boat rides similar to PoTC, would really help spread the crowds out. I see this being built at MK as really clogging up the crowds. Plus, unless they had a back pathway to connect to Storybook Circus, this would be a crowd disaster with one way in/out.
They really should have a four-year cycle where an addition opens yearly, cycling through the parks…and not every addition needs to be an E-ticket.

yensidtlaw1969

My understanding is that the new expansion would connect on either sides of the existing River, with a path near Big Thunder and another by The Haunted Mansion.

Not to suggest that the River would remain intact.

JohnD

My understanding is that the new expansion would connect on either sides of the existing River, with a path near Big Thunder and another by The Haunted Mansion.

It gets its water from a canal that feeds into SSL. The Electrical Water Pageant barges are stored there. There would have to be a bridge that goes over or around it.

1706816071515.png

UNCgolf

Any major expansion to the Magic Kingdom would almost require some new firework viewing location with a place for projections.

There's already not enough room for fireworks viewing, and anything that substantially increased attendance would be a disaster. People would still want to see fireworks from in front of the castle (as they always have) but having a secondary location would be incredibly helpful (they basically eliminated the previously existing secondary locations when they made projections a major part of the show).

ToTBellHop

Any major expansion to the Magic Kingdom would almost require some new firework viewing location with a place for projections.

There's already not enough room for fireworks viewing, and anything that substantially increased attendance would be a disaster. People would still want to see fireworks from in front of the castle (as they always have) but having a secondary location would be incredibly helpful (they basically eliminated the previously existing secondary locations when they made projections a major part of the show).
That shouldn’t be too hard to do and I agree they should. Maybe they can build a hotel back there and we can watch fireworks over it. Good enough for Universal.

Skibum1970

It gets its water from a canal that feeds into SSL. The Electrical Water Pageant barges are stored there. There would have to be a bridge that goes over or around it.

View attachment 766296

My thanks to both of you for explaining this. I still shudder to think about how crowded the park will become if they carry through with this but no use worrying about it today.

yensidtlaw1969

My thanks to both of you for explaining this. I still shudder to think about how crowded the park will become if they carry through with this but no use worrying about it today.
Personally, I also think that's a valid concern.

It seems to me like this might be a calculated move to double down on their heaviest hitter in the face of Epic Universe. New things at MK are probably more likely to incite WDW vacations than new things at any of the other parks. Despite the fact that the other parks are absolutely much more in need of expansion and new attractions than MK is.

Not to mention the collateral damage that might be done to MK to enable the expansion.

doctornick

I totally agree. Another option but less optimal would be doing two fireworks shows a night consistently (but the earlier one would likely still have crowding issues)

doctornick

View attachment 766296
Naturally. The only option to avoiding at least one bridge would be to fill in all or part of the RoA and personally I hate that idea.

I am hoping they continue the path from the far side of the Frontierland RR station (near the Splash exit) going north and build the guest bridge over the canal to the SSL. That could enable the RoA to mostly be intact, they the might need some infill near HM to make a guest path along that going north.

A bridge over that canal would obviously need to be able to be raised but almost never during park hours. The bridge in Epcot WS functions fine and most guests probably don’t realize it’s there until it gets raised for the fireworks barges.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

See my sig. :D

Purduevian

While not nearly as popular as main street/castle. At Disneyland they have water projections on the ROA and on it's a small world. MK's ROA water front is quite a bit more crowded than DL, however adding a water projector in front of Liberty Tree tavern and another one outside of Big Thunder, would be a good first (and pretty cheap) step.

aladdin2007

Personally, I also think that's a valid concern.

It seems to me like this might be a calculated move to double down on their heaviest hitter in the face of Epic Universe. New things at MK are probably more likely to incite WDW vacations than new things at any of the other parks. Despite the fact that the other parks are absolutely much more in need of expansion and new attractions than MK is.

Not to mention the collateral damage that might be done to MK to enable the expansion.
Im sure TDO can't wait to anchor the riverboat, they have wanted to for years. Another piece of charm to remove, and an operating expense they would love to slash....I just wish they would utilize all the empty spaces first before reworking or expanding the park.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

While not nearly as popular as main street/castle. At Disneyland they have water projections on the ROA and on it's a small world. MK's ROA water front is quite a bit more crowded than DL, however adding a water projector in front of Liberty Tree tavern and another one outside of Big Thunder, would be a good first (and pretty cheap) step.
Sorry but MK’s RoA is nowhere near as crowded as DL’s.
IMG_8291.jpeg

Im sure TDO can't wait to anchor the riverboat, they have wanted to for years. Another piece of charm to remove, and an operating expense they would love to slash....I just wish they would utilize all the empty spaces first before reworking or expanding the park.
They just spent millions of dollars refurbishing it only a year or two ago.

yensidtlaw1969

Sorry but MK’s RoA is nowhere near as crowded as DL’s.View attachment 766338

They just spent millions of dollars refurbishing it only a year or two ago.
I'm not sure that's the kind of crowded they were talking about - the Riverfront at Disneyland keeps its vista pretty wide open for the sake of Fantasmic viewing, but the Riverfront at Walt Disney World has no equivalent show and has a bunch of "stuff" right on the edge of the water that would block the guest's view from the pathways. Compare:

Disneyland:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 7.06.26 AM.png

Magic Kingdom:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 7.06.58 AM.png

(These 2 images are not scaled to each other, BTW)

EricsBiscuit

I'm not sure that's the kind of crowded they were talking about - the Riverfront at Disneyland keeps its vista pretty wide open for the sake of Fantasmic viewing, but the Riverfront at Walt Disney World has no equivalent show and has a bunch of "stuff" right on the edge of the water that would block the guest's view from the pathways. Compare:

Disneyland:

View attachment 766430

Magic Kingdom:

View attachment 766431

(These 2 images are not scaled to each other, BTW)
There’s definitely more obscuring the view but the boardwalk has lots of space for viewing if they added Fantasmic style projections. They should do. Both that and add projections to the back of the castle to relieve congestion on Main Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom