The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Consumer

Found myself driving down Hollywood Blvd. and unexpectedly came upon this DCA icon. One day I’ll have to eat here to prove my true loyalty to Disney’s California Adventure.
IMG_1044.jpeg

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I always find it fascinating when you consider things like the Joshua tree and visitors from around the world. To many of us, with the Mojave being our old stomping grounds, a Joshua tree is a Joshua tree is a Joshua tree... see em all the time, ain't no thang, just a Joshua tree. Yet people from all over the world come to Southern California to venture out into the desert to see the things. I've seen tourists from Europe gaze in awe at the things and take tons of photos of themselves with the trees. To us, they're same ole same ole, but when you think about it, they're truly alien and unique around the world.

I always loved what they did with them in Rango... the Joshua trees wander the desert often at night in search of water.

Very true. I grew up in upstate NY and moved to the southwest 5 years ago. I’m one of those people who gets excited by Joshua trees and is endlessly in awe of this region’s desert landscapes.

Recently went to Vegas for the first time (didn’t really care for it, despite its reputation as “Disneyland for adults”) and if I’m being honest, my favorite part of the experience was the drive through the desert. It’s jaw-dropping and surreal being in such a vast, endless open space. My friends out here think I’m crazy.

mlayton144

I camped at Yellowstone, Yosemite, and New River Gorge. I passed through Badlands, Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, and Petrified Forest while driving from A to B so no need to camp. Cuyahoga, Gateway Arch, Shenandoah, and Joshua Tree were all day trips while at home or while visiting friends and family.
Cool , always dreamed of getting an airstream (fancy camping) but that’s a huge investment for something not sure family would dig

TP2000

Sorry what???

Wild.

I have several thoughts....

1. That's not a streaker. A streaker doesn't wear a swimsuit. I'm afraid he gets an Incomplete for this project. (And yes, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt why he kept his swimsuit on.) :cool:

2. This is hilarious! 🤣

3. This also proves there is no real security system in Small World to prevent anyone from doing anything. :oops:

Disney Analyst

I have several thoughts....

1. That's not a streaker. A streaker doesn't wear a swimsuit. He only gets an Incomplete for this project. (And yes, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt why he kept his swimsuit on.)
2. This is hilarious.
3. This also proves there is no real security system in Small World to prevent anyone from doing anything.

They must have been having some sort of mental health crisis? It’s so odd.

TP2000

They must have been having some sort of mental health crisis?

I think you give him too much credit. He's just a nutcase 20 year old kid with too much time on his hands. 🤣

It’s so odd.

It is odd. But it's also been done before, decades ago and many times, to far greater effect.

But I'm afraid this young man didn't quite understand the assignment like we did fifty years ago...

Consumer

Disney is having a really bad year. They need to fix their image and fast. Parents are already considered about pedophilia in Disney and this is not going to help their case.

Disney Analyst

Disney is having a really bad year. They need to fix their image and fast. Parents are already considered about pedophilia in Disney and this is not going to help their case.

I mean, this is far from Disneys fault, and was handled relatively quickly with the suspect arrested and removed. I don’t think anyone would blame Disney for anything on this case.

Unfortunately a public space is always going to eventually have to deal with… very weird public situations.

Consumer

I mean, this is far from Disney's fault, and was handled relatively quickly with the suspect arrested and removed. I don’t think anyone would blame Disney for anything on this case.

Unfortunately a public space is always going to eventually have to deal with… very weird public situations.
I understand Disney isn't at fault for this (I considered saying that in my initial post just to prevent a reply like yours, but foolishly I decided it was unnecessary), but that doesn't mean it doesn't look bad for Disney. From a brawl, to a lamppost falling on guests, and now this, even if they're not all Disney's fault, most people don't want to take their children to where these things happen.

gerarar

Premium Member
Kinda crazy that IASM is already back up (currently a 30 mins wait). Thought they would shut down the ride for the rest of the day given the situation.

Some of the props and AA's were touched, moved, etc. when the person was navigating around. And in at least one video, an AA was used as a stepping tool and it stops moving afterwards, which may indicate it was damaged.

I guess they're going to do some heavy inspections after park-close tonight..

And we now have a timeline of events:

MoonRakerSCM

Very true. I grew up in upstate NY and moved to the southwest 5 years ago. I’m one of those people who gets excited by Joshua trees and is endlessly in awe of this region’s desert landscapes.

Recently went to Vegas for the first time (didn’t really care for it, despite its reputation as “Disneyland for adults”) and if I’m being honest, my favorite part of the experience was the drive through the desert. It’s jaw-dropping and surreal being in such a vast, endless open space. My friends out here think I’m crazy.
Some roads are still being repaired after the wet winter and the hurricane remnants that blew through but it's worthwhile taking some of the long ways to Vegas. Death Valley is worth a visit (still a lot of road closures right now) to see some surreal landscapes. Always be prepared in the desert but it's a fantastic place to explore :-D

MoonRakerSCM

1. Cuyahoga Valley
2. Gateway Arch
3. Badlands
3a. Mount Rushmore
3b. Devil’s Tower
4. Yellowstone
5. Grand Teton
6. Yosemite
7. Grand Canyon
8. Petrified Forest
9. New River Gorge
10. Shenandoah
11. Joshua Tree

My hope is to get out to Smoky Mountains, Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, and Saguaro next year, but we’ll see what happens.
I haven't been to any national parks back east. Furthest east I've visited one is Rushmore. I've been there twice actually, first time I just drove by and we stopped at the profile view on the road. Second time we payed to go in (my parents have the senior pass) and I really liked the view and museum they have on site.

What are your thoughts on the eastern parks? Cuyahoga Valley, New River Gorge, Shenandoah etc.? I feel I'm spoiled with all our western wonders (though a trip earlier this year to Vermont was spectacular...)

Consumer

I haven't been to any national parks back east. Furthest east I've visited one is Rushmore. I've been there twice actually, first time I just drove by and we stopped at the profile view on the road. Second time we payed to go in (my parents have the senior pass) and I really liked the view and museum they have on site.

What are your thoughts on the eastern parks? Cuyahoga Valley, New River Gorge, Shenandoah etc.? I feel I'm spoiled with all our western wonders (though a trip earlier this year to Vermont was spectacular...)
While they're all beautiful in their own right, the eastern parks do lack the uniqueness of the parks out west. Cuyahoga, for instance, was easily the most disappointing NP I've been to. Forests like that grow in abundance throughout Ohio and Pennsylvania, and often offer much more compelling vistas. New River Gorge and Shenandoah are both located in the Appalachians and not too far from one another so they do end up feeling very similar, however I will say I was able to visit Shenandoah in October during peak Autumn so the changing leaves made the trip well worth it. Even though it is a National Park, Gateway Arch does not earn the title - the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam would be more deserving. Something all of these have in common (except for Shenandoah) is that they're newer parks and so there's a lot of development within in the park boundaries or require you to exit and reenter the park several to get to different sections.

truecoat

Kinda crazy that IASM is already back up (currently a 30 mins wait). Thought they would shut down the ride for the rest of the day given the situation.

Some of the props and AA's were touched, moved, etc. when the person was navigating around. And in at least one video, an AA was used as a stepping tool and it stops moving afterwards, which may indicate it was damaged.

I guess they're going to do some heavy inspections after park-close tonight..

And we now have a timeline of events:

After sitting in that cold water, It's a Small World after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom