News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Splash4eva

It was a 100 room facility it was always going to be a small amount of people.
It was open for 18 months. Known about for much longer than that. Plenty of time to book plan etc. it didnt plain and simple or Disney would not have shuttered it the way they did

_caleb

Doable changes they could make that could make me consider it:
  • Re-open the Starcruiser. It's already built and they already have the connection to SW:GE.
  • Cut the price significantly.
  • Make it clear that this is interactive themed entertainment, no LARPing necessary.
  • Re-design the storyline to allow guests to play on their own (or not at all).
  • Add storylines from each of the SW eras, and let me choose which one to play.
  • It's not a "luxury cruise liner," it's a transport ship. Guests are all on a journey of some kind (like Star Tours).
  • Re-decorate the Halcyon (particularly the dining room and guest rooms) as aged to feel more StarWarsy.
  • Re-work the experience to replace the actors with screens/holograms, and the app that runs on guest's devices. Fewer actors would take away the personal interaction anxiety, ensure quality control, and, most of all cut costs.
  • Create ambiance with droid/alien AAs and by selling Star Wars cosplay items to guests.
  • Move a good portion of the storytelling to the app so the story can begin for the guest prior to arrival. Make a mobile game to establish a tone and context.
  • Add proper breakout rooms and puzzle activities to replace the "dance classes," card games, etc.
  • Replace the lightsaber experience with something like The Void VR experience (upcharge).
  • Buff the dinner "shows" to be based on screens/environmental effects, and AAs (StarWars Chuck E. Cheese). Fun, multi-course themed food, not fancy, but not QS, just weird and starwarsy. Allow non-overnight guests to pay to board the Halcyon just to experience this.
  • Charge per-night. Allow guests to stay as long as they like (eventually you'd run out of new things to do).

• On the Batuu excursion:
    • Add Savi's Workshop lightsaber and Droid building as part of the package.
    • Add proper scavenger hunts (Like A Pirate's Adventure in Adventureland) throughout SW:GE, make that part of the experience.
    • LL passes for SW:GE attractions.

• In SW:GE in general:
    • Continue to add walk-around characters, droids, aliens, etc. to the land.
    • Start each day with the Empire/F.O. in charge, stage an epic battle/stunt show at mid-day, and then have the rebels/resistance in charge through the evening.
    • Have waves of starships (drones) "attack" throughout the night.

Basically, fix SW:GE and let me spend the night there (and market it as such).

Smiley/OCD

I have no horse in this race…never was a SW fan, even the OG movies…this back and forth has been entertaining, BUT, I find this VERY hypocritical that we are now approaching 160 pages about an attraction that is CLOSED, and yet every time someone mentioned the six letter word SPLASH, and how some would like to see it open, those people got shut down, belittled and scolded like they left their elbows on the dinner table. Stop! Change the subject! Disney closed it, so forget it!!! YET, this thread perpetuates the “I know you are, but what am I” mentality…the kicker is some of the same people who scolded the most on that thread to stop and end the discussion, keep popping up here to keep it going.
I guess THAT attraction just didn’t fit the correct narrative…that wasn’t PC, but this is…OK, now I get it…NOW, we can shut this down…if the Splash threads can get locked down, this can too.

Splash4eva

I have no horse in this race…never was a SW fan, even the OG movies…this back and forth has been entertaining, BUT, I find this VERY hypocritical that we are now approaching 160 pages about an attraction that is CLOSED, and yet every time someone mentioned the six letter word SPLASH, and how some would like to see it open, those people got shut down, belittled and scolded like they left their elbows on the dinner table. Stop! Change the subject! Disney closed it, so forget it!!! YET, this thread perpetuates the “I know you are, but what am I” mentality…the kicker is some of the same people who scolded the most on that thread to stop and end the discussion, keep popping up here to keep it going.
I guess THAT attraction just didn’t fit the correct narrative…that wasn’t PC, but this is…OK, now I get it…NOW, we can shut this down…if the Splash threads can get locked down, this can too.
Well said!!! As my user name says and i was scolded plenty lol

James Alucobond

The situations are not all that comparable, IMO. I don’t think many if any believe the Starcruiser was sustainable, and most agree it was too expensive, likely had niche appeal, and was marketed poorly. The only argument seemingly remaining is that some feel positive reviews were either dishonest or fabricated and that guest satisfaction can’t possibly have been all that high (in short, rapid revisionism re: the attraction narrative) whereas others think it was indeed honestly enjoyable for most who went but had a host of other issues.

Splash Mountain is another thing entirely. The person who would deny the appeal of the original attraction is an extreme outlier. That said, the vast majority have simply moved on, and the ongoing argument there is mostly between those who have already written off the next iteration of the ride because of what it replaced and those who denigrate the original to either prop up the new attraction or shame others for the content they like. Broadly speaking, people who liked Splash Mountain are not being attacked for it, told that their memories are false, or being called revisionist.

Smiley/OCD

The situations are not all that comparable, IMO. I don’t think many if any believe the Starcruiser was sustainable, and most agree it was too expensive, likely had niche appeal, and was marketed poorly. The only argument seemingly remaining is that some feel positive reviews were either dishonest or fabricated and that guest satisfaction can’t possibly have been all that high (in short, rapid revisionism re: the attraction narrative) whereas others think it was indeed honestly enjoyable for most who went but had a host of other issues.

Splash Mountain is another thing entirely. The person who would deny the appeal of the original attraction is an extreme outlier. That said, the vast majority have simply moved on, and the ongoing argument there is mostly between those who have already written off the next iteration of the ride because of what it replaced and those who denigrate the original to either prop up the new attraction or shame others for the content they like. Broadly speaking, people who liked Splash Mountain are not being attacked for it, told that their memories are false, or being called revisionist.
You are ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY incorrect that they are incomparable…BOTH attractions were CLOSED…if that thread was shut down, and people castigated for voicing their opinions, pro OR con, this one can get shut down also SIMPLY for the same reason… this attraction has been CLOSED…

Splash4eva

Really?!? Because i vividly remember maybe not to an extreme extent here but plenty of places people calling anyone supporting keeping the ride open racist ,bad people so on and so forth. We all have short memories now because end of day most people whether they want to admit it or not realize what Disney did was moronic plain and simple…. In regards to the SC and money granted it plays a factor but its tough to use that as an excuse solely when people are spending an obscene amount of money at times on some of these vacations and i agree the pool may be limited but was that not obvious from the get go?!? So again. Its tough to not call this a failure because people who went enjoyed it when that sample size is so small.

JoeCamel

They havent even started with the recitation of the OT vs ST vs MT vs JT vs....... to demonstrate that their understanding of Star Bores is superior to all

Splash4eva

You are ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY incorrect that they are incomparable…BOTH attractions were CLOSED…if that thread was shut down, and people castigated for voicing their opinions, pro OR con, this one can get shut down also SIMPLY for the same reason… this attraction has been CLOSED…
Opinions are allowed when they align ;)

James Alucobond

It is probably still open because there has been a trickle of news about what might become of it. That is, after all, why all the discussion of surveys and GSAT started in the first place. Meanwhile, the Splash thread was closed because we know what will become of it and there's a thread for it now. I'm sure Splash reminiscence threads can still be made in the general discussion boards.

Smiley/OCD

Like I said, I have no horse in this race OTHER than to play devils advocate here…one gets locked because the attraction is closed, this one should be too…just sayin’

James Alucobond

Right, but it's the news forum ... There is no news about WDW Splash anymore aside from updates about what it is becoming, which has a thread that remains open. To suggest that the discussion in here should be redirected might not be wrong, but we have insinuation from Disney that something else may be coming soon for this.

Smiley/OCD

It is probably still open because there has been a trickle of news about what might become of it. That is, after all, why all the discussion of surveys and GSAT started in the first place. Meanwhile, the Splash thread was closed because we know what will become of it and there's a thread for it now. I'm sure Splash reminiscence threads can still be made in the general discussion boards.
WRONG…EVERY time someone opines about how changes could’ve been tried to keep it open, they were shut down. If you would like to take the reigns to start one, have at it…TRY to voice an opinion on the current thread and see how long it takes to get it shot down and deleted.

asianway

Let me finish this thread:

1. People who did it really loved it
2. Not enough people did it, it lost money and closed
3. A large portion of potential guests were turned off by price, the marketing and reviews

All of these facts are true.
And the sequel trilogy setting played no small part in the failure

Splash4eva

Right, but it's the news forum ... There is no news about WDW Splash anymore aside from updates about what it is becoming, which has a thread that remains open. To suggest that the discussion in here should be redirected might not be wrong, but we have insinuation from Disney that something else may be coming soon for this.
What news is there on the SC other than a vague statement Mr Skinny Pants made months ago?!?

Speaking of Disney statements. Still waiting for all those planned D23 promises and other planned attractions that went bye bye

Smiley/OCD

AWESOME! When there’s news and a presser on what’s coming, then I look forward to the thread…this horse has been beat deader than Big Red on the Kilimanjaro Safari…

flynnibus

Premium Member
Basically, fix SW:GE and let me spend the night there (and market it as such).
Sounds largely like a star wars hotel at that point if you make all the activities adhoc and just self-paced. It would be more like a cruise and less like theater.

Is that good? Is that bad? I think it's a different direction for sure.

What if this were instead of an overnight, it was just something you dedicated a full day to? like a keys to the kingdom tour... but obviously longer and focused purely on this? If it were still a story adventure+activities, but scoped down so that you consumed it just one day at a time would that be interesting? Like what if you could say... book a certain story-line ahead of time... to add more repeatability? Then you could decide how frequently you experience it and control your own pace of how much 'starcruiser' you can take on your own per trip?

Splash4eva

Sounds largely like a star wars hotel at that point if you make all the activities adhoc and just self-paced. It would be more like a cruise and less like theater.

Is that good? Is that bad? I think it's a different direction for sure.

What if this were instead of an overnight, it was just something you dedicated a full day to? like a keys to the kingdom tour... but obviously longer and focused purely on this? If it were still a story adventure+activities, but scoped down so that you consumed it just one day at a time would that be interesting? Like what if you could say... book a certain story-line ahead of time... to add more repeatability? Then you could decide how frequently you experience it and control your own pace of how much 'starcruiser' you can take on your own per trip?
Not saying this is a good or bad idea but if it comes down to “money” how would this work and generate more than would SC was while it was opened at their prices?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom