News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Dranth

You are ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY incorrect that they are incomparable…BOTH attractions were CLOSED…if that thread was shut down, and people castigated for voicing their opinions, pro OR con, this one can get shut down also SIMPLY for the same reason… this attraction has been CLOSED…
Politics and childish name calling shut that down. That has not been part of the discussion here.

The equivalent would have been a group of posters who never went on Splash going into the Splash thread and saying Disney shut it down because it was a failure, no one liked it and then telling anyone who did they were wrong while accusing any guest satisfaction data to be rigged.

AEfx

Yeah, if D’Amaro follows through and they do end up trying again, I think that might be something that could interest me. I think they need to do something with those 100 guest rooms they have already built out. Seems like easy money if they’d just lower the price.

They can't - that ship has sailed (pun not intended). They took a massive tax write off, that building won't be used to house guests again. Disney rejected any other guest-facing uses of the building that were proposed (day tours, etc.) and took the tax write off instead.

Epcot81Fan

The equivalent would have been a group of posters who never went on Splash going into the Splash thread and saying Disney shut it down because it was a failure, no one liked it and then telling anyone who did they were wrong while accusing any guest satisfaction data to be rigged.
That’s exactly the same! What a perfect analogy!

Because every ride through video shows Splash Mountain to look like an embarrassing, lame, terrible attraction and it closed in a year due to complete lack of interest and market rejection of the concept!

Thanks for making that point!

Last edited:

Splash4eva

That's a new thing. Younger people don't really pick up the phone anymore, and poll texts are usually thrown in the spam bin. Online polls also aren't that great.

But here, you have a large sample size of a niche population, so it's most likely very accurate.
Yet Disney still shuttered this venture… as i keep saying something does not add up.

Splash4eva

It's not a difficult concept to understand. A fancy restaurant serving excellent but expensive food can easily fail if not enough people choose to eat there. Its failure doesn't make the food it served any less delicious.
But Disney has ALWAYS been expensive and never had issues selling their product even at sub par times yet a product as ive stated Disney + SW + Great Experience = a failed venture because of a price point?!? I just am not buying that excuse. For many reasons…

TheMaxRebo

But Disney has ALWAYS been expensive and never had issues selling their product even at sub par times yet a product as ive stated Disney + SW + Great Experience = a failed venture because of a price point?!? I just am not buying that excuse. For many reasons…

well, I think price point combined with the specificity of the offering (immersive, role playing, 2-nights only option, etc)

It would be like if a restaurant only served durian and charged a high price point for it. Even if it was the most amazing durian every served in the history of the world, the pool of people willing to pay a lot of money to eat durian and only durian is very, very small and not likely to support this restaurant staying open

but that doesn't take away from the quality of the offering

LittleBuford

There's expensive and there's expensive. Most of us have a cutoff point beyond which we simply can't justify a particular purchase, even if we can afford it. Multiple posters here, myself included, have said that they wanted to go on the Starcruiser but could not get past the prohibitive expense. To continue with my restaurant analogy, I would not choose to dine somewhere that charged $100 for each course, even if I knew the food was absolutely superlative.

Dranth

That’s exactly the same! What a perfect analogy!

Because every ride through video shows Splash Mountain to look like an embarrassing, lame, terrible attraction and it closed in a year due to complete lack of interest and market rejection of the concept!

Thanks for making that point!
Putting aside that you missed the point, I agree that bad and cheesy videos hurt the chances of someone trying the experience though I would argue price was a MUCH bigger factor. Where I disagree with you is that videos are somehow the be all to an experience that you are trying to make it out to be or that they can be used to tell people who went they are somehow wrong.

I can watch someone skydive, not the same as going. I can watch a ride through of Splash, not the same as going. I can watch people swimming with sharks, not the same as going. I can watch a video of a barbecue, not the same as going. Even something as basic as talking to a friend over facetime is a lesser experience than seeing them in person.

The people who went, by and large, really seemed to enjoy it. Saying those videos made you and many others not want to go is perfectly reasonably. Telling people who actually went they didn't enjoy it because you didn't like the videos is just wrong.

_caleb

They can't - that ship has sailed (pun not intended). They took a massive tax write off, that building won't be used to house guests again. Disney rejected any other guest-facing uses of the building that were proposed (day tours, etc.) and took the tax write off instead.

I paid my CPA to research this exact question. The short answer was you could probably re-use it immediately,

There are, as you can probably imagine, exceptions to everything. But the way it was communicated to me was "it's probably re-usable immediately, unless they're doing something with the writeoff that they haven't yet disclosed."

I'm not sure taking a tax write off on the asset means it can never be used again (even for the same purpose). Disney took a write off on the Legendary Years portion of Pop Century in 2003. Then, in 2010 they opened those buildings as Art of Animation resort.

TheMaxRebo

I'm not sure taking a tax write off on the asset means it can never be used again (even for the same purpose). Disney took a write off on the Legendary Years portion of Pop Century in 2003. Then, in 2010 they opened those buildings as Art of Animation resort.

I believe what they did by closing it enabled them to accelerate the depreciation on it - basically take the tax benefit all now vs a bit each year over the lifetime of it as the shortened the lifetime of it

So if they reopen it they could but then they would only be able to take credit over time of any additional $ they put into retrofitting it

Epcot81Fan

Putting aside that you missed the point, I agree that bad and cheesy videos hurt the chances of someone trying the experience though I would argue price was a MUCH bigger factor. Where I disagree with you is that videos are somehow the be all to an experience that you are trying to make it out to be or that they can be used to tell people who went they are somehow wrong.

I can watch someone skydive, not the same as going. I can watch a ride through of Splash, not the same as going. I can watch people swimming with sharks, not the same as going. I can watch a video of a barbecue, not the same as going. Even something as basic as talking to a friend over facetime is a lesser experience than seeing them in person.

The people who went, by and large, really seemed to enjoy it. Saying those videos made you and many others not want to go is perfectly reasonably. Telling people who actually went they didn't enjoy it because you didn't like the videos is just wrong.

Please point to a single post where I am trying to tell somebody who went and enjoyed it that they really did not enjoy it.

Putting your false claim to distract from this disaster closing aside, as I have said several times, I believe that people went and LOVED it (even capitalized it so people like you would be able to note the emphasis, apparently to no avail).

Your Splash Mountain analogy was wrong on its face, because any posters who did exactly as you said would be factually wrong. Splash has been an enormous hit for decades, beloved by millions, and every video of Splash shows it to be exactly what it is - an incredible music filled, animatronic heavy, fun, thrilling, world-class attraction that has made it hugely popular and duplicated around the world.

However, making those same assumptions and conclusions on the Starcruiser would be factually correct.

You, like others, continue to try to sell this "You really can't tell how awesome it is looking at countless videos where it looks embarrassing, sad, poorly themed, designed by a soccer mom who has never seen "Star Wars", and filled with man-children playing dress up, BUT if you were there it would look like nothing like that" yet provide no proof of any kind because you can't, it is exactly what we all see it is.

And unlike Splash, where millions watch the videos and can't wait to go experience it themselves, millions watched the videos and rejected the concept and it closed in a year.

If the tiny amount of people who where interested in this (again, wait for it...) LOVED their experience in the 8 year old's birthday party with their fellow LARP'ers, that does not mean anybody else wanted to LARP with them.

Where one cannot exactly understand the sensations of riding Splash, skydiving, swimming with sharks, attending a BBQ, talking to a friend on Facetime on video, etc., experiencing those in person enhance the perceived experience, it doesn't negate everything you see on the videos.

You're trying to sell me that I'm talking to Amy Schumer on Facetime, but when I see her in person it's Margot Robbie.

It is what it looks like it is - and it looks terrible.

Millions of potential customers (like me) with disposable income, desire to experience themed experiences, and who like Star Wars and Disney watched the videos and reviews. Seeing what the concept is, they had no interest in LARPing with the LARP'ers who LOVED it (this is where you tell me I'm saying people didn't love it again), and it closed due to lack of interest.

Last edited:

Dranth

Please point to a single post where I am trying to tell somebody who went and enjoyed it that they really did not enjoy it.
I'll take your word for it that you haven't so yes, I should have specified the general you instead of you specifically.

Putting your false claim to distract from this disaster closing aside, as I have said several times, I believe that people went and LOVED it (even capitalized it so people like you would be able to note the emphasis, apparently to no avail).
Who said it wasn't a disaster closing? Also, how is saying it was likely better than the videos a distraction from something that is already closed and there is nothing any of us can do about it?

Your Splash Mountain analogy was wrong on its face, because any posters who did exactly as you said would be factually wrong. Splash has been an enormous hit for decades, beloved by millions, and every video of Splash shows it to be exactly what it is - an incredible music filled, animatronic heavy, fun, thrilling, world-class attraction that has made it hugely popular and duplicated around the world.
It's hyperbole, not wrong, which was the whole point when responding to a ridiculous post comparing threads on two VERY different things that have nearly nothing in common including WHY the other thread was shutdown. Also, you are doing it again with the video. I think Splash videos look boring despite having been riding it on both coasts since they were built and loving it. It is one of the best rides Disney has ever done and the videos never did it justice, which is exactly the point people keep trying to make with SC.

You, like others, continue to try to sell this "You really can't tell how awesome it is looking at countless videos where it looks embarrassing, sad, poorly themed, designed by a soccer mom who has never seen "Star Wars", and filled with man-children playing dress up, BUT if you were there it would look like nothing like that" yet provide no proof of any kind because you can't, it is exactly what we all see it is.
One, no need to belittle people by calling them "man-children playing dress up". You obviously have some problem with the RP aspect of this thing. Two, no one can provide any proof because you won't accept any. People who went have tried telling you the videos don't do it justice. They have tried telling you the interactions add so much more than a video can show. You just don't care and refuse to believe them so if those are the things that really made this great how can someone provide proof of something that you LITTERALLY had to be there to understand? It's like if I showed you a picture of some fruit you have never tasted that can no longer be grown and you said prove it taste good!

Where one cannot exactly understand the sensations of riding Splash, skydiving, swimming with sharks, attending a BBQ, talking to a friend on Facetime on video, etc., experiencing those in person enhance the perceived experience, it doesn't negate everything you see on the videos.
No, and I am not claiming it does. All I am saying is that sometimes the in-person experience can add a lot that the videos can't which seems to be the case here. Sometimes even enough to change your mind about something.

You're trying to sell me that I'm talking to Amy Schumer on Facetime, but when I see her in person it's Margot Robbie.
No, what I am trying to tell you is that Amy Schumer in person may be a lot more fun than you think she is going to be based on your reaction to Facetime.

Haven't you ever done something that you thought was going to be boring or even awful and ended up enjoying it way more than you thought you might?

Millions of potential customers (like me) with disposable income, desire to experience themed experiences, and who like Star Wars and Disney watched the videos and reviews. Seeing what the concept is, they had no interest in LARPing with the LARP'ers who LOVED it (this is where you tell me I'm saying people didn't love it again), and it closed due to lack of interest.
I already agreed with you on this but I think your hate of LARPing takes it further than reality. Many didn't go because they were suspect of it and it had an ASTRONOMICAL price tag. Who is going to take a chance that they MIGHT like something for 5-6k for two days? That is where Disney shot themselves in the foot and why this thing was a colossal failure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom