News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Epcot81Fan

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt as a fellow Star Wars fan, but you might want to review the past dozen or so pages of thread if you believe this is an honest statement. I mean, it's happened again multiple times on just the past few pages alone.

There have been repeated accusations that this was some certified creative triumph, that people being critical of it are "just cherry picking a few images they found online", that we cannot judge the offered experience based on any of the ample documentation of the entire thing that exists as hard evidence of what went on in there.

This phantom argument that "people are being criticized for liking it" or asking anyone to "make me like it" is just that - a phantom, it's not happening.
The other phantom argument is that nobody liked it.

Can somebody show in the 153 pages where people are making this argument? I haven’t seen it, yet people continue to post evidence to the contrary.

Two things can be true at the same time:

1) There are people who absolutely LOVED it and thought it was the greatest themed experience in the history of mankind.

2) It was seen as an embarrassing, cringeworthy, cheaply themed, “science-fictiony”, 8 year old’s birthday party filled with man-children with made up names and backstories that closed in a year and was shoved down the memory-hole by Disney due to lack of interest.

Just like when people love terrible movies and television shows.

Both statements can be true.

TheMaxRebo

For a experience like this from a fan group like no other? If you say so. Like ive said before. Companies do not close things down after a short time that were successful. Ive leave it at that…

Companies don't shut down things that are commercially successful

These responses aren't a sign of that they are a sign that those attended enjoyed their experience that's all

Things can be a creative success and a commercial failure, happens all the time

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’re telling me when you saw pictures of the Eiffel Tower or fly up to it on Soarin’ that it doesn’t look appealing and magical and iconic?

Seeing the pictures and videos of the Eiffel Tower your whole life didn’t make you want to see it in person?

And when you saw it in person, it appeared completely different and in no way was recognizable from the 4K videos?.

That is what is being sold here.

The wholesale embarrassment of what we are seeing in the countless videos of this disaster is what it is and no amount of “you had to be there” changes what we are seeing.

I’m saying it’s cool in pictures…but majestic in person

Not saying that about the galactic spirit Halloween…for sure 🤪…but maybe the 3D show was better than the vids?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Companies don't shut down things that are commercially successful

These responses aren't a sign of that they are a sign that those attended enjoyed their experience that's all

Things can be a creative success and a commercial failure, happens all the time
I think it’s perfectly reasonable that it was something that people who went to it liked…while still being an abysmal business/amusement industry failure that never should have been built.

pdude81

That's some mental gymnastics going on there.

Link please? I can find no such comment. I can find his general marketing speak of "incredibly high" when he was admitting it failed and did not meet expectations so it had to be shuttered. And yes, as the man responsible for seeing it through, I can't help but think he is a bit...biased. It's called CYA when you are trying to mitigate what a disaster and how embarrassing this was to the company.

Aggregates what data? An online poll? That didn't verify that anyone actually went there or not? To paraphrase Darth Vader, never underestimate...the power of Star Wars fans to vote multiple times in a poll, or blindly vote for something they never experienced. Not to mention, yes, considering the sample size and the fact that far more people went to every other resort than that one, it's just an online poll.

When the paid group was specifically selected among those on the "last voyages" who were either a) die hard repeat visitors, or b) already fully knew what the experience entailed by choosing to go so late so knew what to expect - yeah, I can expect them to rate it more highly. That said - do we actually have the RESULTS of this survey? Because all I can find is that people who took the cash and took the survey violated their NDA and leaked its contents. It also should be noted that from what was leaked - that the questions could easily be interpreted as them having second thoughts about closing it and giving hope of bringing it back, which would again influence answers.

The claims people are making just do not hold up to any scrutiny.

Touring Plans does a ton of data and research, including plenty of information coming from guests who pay for their Lines app, to forecast and make decisions. Do you really think a bunch of people went out of their way to fill out a survey on their site about SWGS to pad the results? Remember how much this thing cost and then think about whether you expect this generic group to spam a poll on a particular site. Then you have Disney who says it had really great reviews from paying guests. Then you have the people here who went and had really good experiences. All these things line up, yet you don't believe them? Ok cool, don't. Where you lose the room is pretending you know it sucked, when you have no idea.

And on the last part.... how many internal Disney surveys do any of us have the results for? Is it roughly 0%? Right. Because you can't see the data in order to try to find a way to invalidate it, then it must be invalid.

This is starting to remind me of the Covid (mis)information thread.

AEfx

And on the last part.... how many internal Disney surveys do any of us have the results for? Is it roughly 0%? Right. Because you can't see the data in order to try to find a way to invalidate it, then it must be invalid.

For all the arguing you have done on my posts, you just haven't read them very well.

Because this is my point exactly. People who didn't read the paywall article about the paid survey ran with the idea that it somehow said they were all super-satisfied and rated it highly. I've posted that I have no doubt they probably did because of the people they selected (though, interestingly enough, they eliminated people with higher education, which is odd to me) but the truth is we have no idea what this or any of Disney's internal survey results are.

Yet, we have people still claiming that it has "highest guest satisfaction ever" because Touring Plans did a popularity contest.

People are confusing all these polls, as well as making claims that just aren't true (and still waiting for that link that says "highest guest satisfaction ever" from D'Amaro as you and a few others have claimed).

You guys are just arguing point after point that either no one else is debating, or simply providing misinformation/misinterpretation of the evidence that is available.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Touring Plans does a ton of data and research, including plenty of information coming from guests who pay for their Lines app, to forecast and make decisions. Do you really think a bunch of people went out of their way to fill out a survey on their site about SWGS to pad the results? Remember how much this thing cost and then think about whether you expect this generic group to spam a poll on a particular site. Then you have Disney who says it had really great reviews from paying guests. Then you have the people here who went and had really good experiences. All these things line up, yet you don't believe them? Ok cool, don't. Where you lose the room is pretending you know it sucked, when you have no idea.

This is starting to remind me of the Covid (mis)information thread.

I agree with you…

With the caveat that Disney is not “required”…at all…to tell the truth about its research.

I’m a huge fan of Disneys “intelligence gathering”…it built a theme park empire in so many ways…the ability to collect and predict the future and make wise investments.

But…I get the sense it’s been “reorganized”
To oblivion like all the bad Bob moves?
Now seems to be a “here’s the answer…find the way to it?” Wing of PR.

The paid survey thing - if true? - is a
Huge red flag.

pdude81

For all the arguing you have done on my posts, you just haven't read them very well.

Because this is my point exactly. People who didn't read the paywall article about the paid survey ran with the idea that it somehow said they were all super-satisfied and rated it highly. I've posted that I have no doubt they probably did because of the people they selected (though, interestingly enough, they eliminated people with higher education, which is odd to me) but the truth is we have no idea what this or any of Disney's internal survey results are.

Yet, we have people still claiming that it has "highest guest satisfaction ever" because Touring Plans did a popularity contest.

People are confusing all these polls, as well as making claims that just aren't true (and still waiting for that link that says "highest guest satisfaction ever" from D'Amaro as you and a few others have claimed).

You guys are just arguing point after point that either no one else is debating, or simply providing misinformation/misinterpretation of the evidence that is available.
You post your opinion ad nauseum. You misquote people repeatedly and distract from the most accurate information we actually have regarding this, which are GSATs and first-person reviews. Honestly I don't get why it's so important for you to try to prove your opinion is superior to that of others. I'm embarrased for you. You'd probably get more support if you make a youtube video slamming this. Perhaps you'd even get a few pennies out of it.

I'd prefer this whole thread be locked so that we can move on with our lives, but if you continue to spread misinformation while accusing everyone else who went on this as being wrong and/or lying, then l and perhaps others will be here to counter it.

pdude81

I agree with you…

With the caveat that Disney is not “required”…at all…to tell the truth about its research.

I’m a huge fan of Disneys “intelligence gathering”…it built a theme park empire in so many ways…the ability to collect and predict the future and make wise investments.

But…I get the sense it’s been “reorganized”
To oblivion like all the bad Bob moves?
Now seems to be a “here’s the answer…find the way to it?” Wing of PR.

The paid survey thing - if true? - is a
Huge red flag.
I'd say it's a red flag in the sense that they want to know how they can part this out to the masses without losing the whales, but to do that it's going to be a serious drop in the experience and probably lose more money. If you were going somewhere else with that, let me know what your take is.

But I agree for sure with your most recent take on this. (interpretation of prior post) People seemed to like it, but it was doomed before it began.

Somebody got too big for their britches when they greenlit this thing. I think it was the same guy who announced SWGE with an X Wing drone that would never be seen again.

James Alucobond

You’re telling me when you saw pictures of the Eiffel Tower or fly up to it on Soarin’ that it doesn’t look appealing and magical and iconic?

Seeing the pictures and videos of the Eiffel Tower your whole life didn’t make you want to see it in person?

And when you saw it in person, it appeared completely different and in no way was recognizable from the 4K videos?.

That is what is being sold here.

The wholesale embarrassment of what we are seeing in the countless videos of this disaster is what it is and no amount of “you had to be there” changes what we are seeing.
That is not what is being sold here. What was said was that this was an experience with a participatory component. Do you get the same experience watching someone else play sports as you do playing them yourself? Do you get the same experience watching someone play a video game as you do playing it yourself?

No one is saying that you can’t judge for yourself whether or not the content is something you would enjoy based on videos. I myself assessed that it was not my sort of thing and did not go. But why is it so hard to comprehend that it would be a bit different actually being involved in the action rather than watching it vicariously from your couch? Why are people bugging others for tangible proof that they had a good time?

AEfx

You post your opinion ad nauseum. You misquote people repeatedly and distract from the most accurate information we actually have regarding this, which are GSATs and first-person reviews. Honestly I don't get why it's so important for you to try to prove your opinion is superior to that of others. I'm embarrased for you. You'd probably get more support if you make a youtube video slamming this. Perhaps you'd even get a few pennies out of it.

I'd prefer this whole thread be locked so that we can move on with our lives, but if you continue to spread misinformation while accusing everyone else who went on this as being wrong and/or lying, then l and perhaps others will be here to counter it.
Yeah, haven't misquoted anyone, LOL. You literally said above, "So we can't trust DPEP saying it's the highest rated experience ever" and still haven't proven that claim.

That's plain for anyone to see. Some of you are just in battle mode and responding to phantom things that no one has claimed and apparently getting so worked up over it you aren't reading what others are writing to realize the outrageous claims some have made in this thread.

Given how much stress this is apparently causing you, and my pointing out the facts is preventing you from moving on with your life (your words, not mine), there is no need to lock the thread unless there is something to hide. You are free not to open it, and just as free to add me to your ignore list if you are so troubled.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd say it's a red flag in the sense that they want to know how they can part this out to the masses without losing the whales, but to do that it's going to be a serious drop in the experience and probably lose more money. If you were going somewhere else with that, let me know what your take is.

But I agree for sure with your most recent take on this. (interpretation of prior post) People seemed to like it, but it was doomed before it began.

Somebody got too big for their britches when they greenlit this thing. I think it was the same guy who announced SWGE with an X Wing drone that would never be seen again.

Well I know the convi has - and will continue to turn - to “what are they gonna do next?!?”

Nothing…they’re stuck. It was built as a hotel stripped down to the minimum in actual usage. Basically a motel built onto a couple of escape room type places and a cafeteria.

So if they could repurpose it to a park add on…they likely Would…but it’s not designed for it.

And “day excursions” are pointless. Not enough volume to make it work and they’ll want $250 a pop…can’t see it.

Plus it’s all sunk cost now…so good luck getting needed 10s of millions to revamp it.

AEfx

You have asked several times what you’re missing. You’re missing nothing. To you, none of it looked enjoyable. Same for me. For some people, it’s enjoyable, and it’s entirely possible that there’s overlap between the personality types that would enjoy it and those in the vlogosphere.
One. Last. Time. :)

When people told us "you are cherry picking the worst videos/images" to several folks who posted some, and that we didn't understand the offerings, we simply asked...what is it you are telling us we are missing? What part of the experience are we ignorant of?

One would think this would be a simple task, but as you said - it's just not true. We've seen it all.

The very point myself and others have been making this entire time.

James Alucobond

One. Last. Time. :)

When people told us "you are cherry picking the worst videos/images" to several folks who posted some, and that we didn't understand the offerings, we simply asked...what is it you are telling us we are missing? What part of the experience are we ignorant of?

One would think this would be a simple task, but as you said - it's just not true. We've seen it all.

The very point myself and others have been making this entire time.
Do you deny that what gets posted over and over again is what has been pointed to ad nauseam as the most embarrassing part of the experience? Everyone knows certain elements of it are more or less a punchline. When you ask what you are missing, what you're missing is that it's a participatory experience. It is not a show to watch. It is equivalent to the difference between watching Enchanted Tales with Belle and participating in it. It looks dorky, and it kind of is, but it can also be fun when you're involved, especially with kids or even just people who are really into it. It is further enhanced when the cast are really into it too. What other information are you hoping to get if you've apparently already watched hours of footage? It's not really news that LARPing, dinner theater, escape rooms, etc. are both fairly nerdy and not terribly compelling to watch.

JD80

But again thats debatable as only a small amount of highly devoted fans went which imo means others did not find it that way nor did they like the idea… its not like Disney has a shortage of people who can afford things.
It was a 100 room facility it was always going to be a small amount of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom