Villain Con (Minions) ride to replace Shrek 4-D (rumor)

Poseidon Quest

But in nearly every video that is critical of Disney, he cites Universal as a positive comparison. I think he offers fair constructive criticism most of the time.

I'm not him, I swear

I think that the people who are highly critical of me are the same kind of people who only read head-lines and not actual articles.

--------

Adding to the general thread discussion, the issue with the attraction is the actual gameplay itself, which I don't think would improve if the technical issues were sorted out. The idea behind the attraction is really interesting, especially since how the conveyor takes up such a small foot print. I like that this makes sense for the building, leaving room for a HHN house (I assume at least) and is itself a major people-eater. I also like how the Minions theming across Production Central adds more visual interest to what was previously a weaker area of the park.

Adding more family entertainment to their flagship park, along with DreamWorks next year, makes a lot of sense in trying to attract families with younger children and balancing the park out a bit better. I think it's a smart move to appeal to younger kids when it seems as if Disney has that market locked down. At a time when Universal is expanding into a true multi-day resort with Epic Universe and at least three new hotels, it will change the equation for a lot of people and it will no longer be a decision of adding on a Universal day or two to a Disney focused stay. I think that for a lot of people, it may become an alternative, especially with all of the attractions located along International Drive being located right next to the new park, creating an entertainment hub away from WDW. So, taking that into consideration, Minions and DreamWorks makes a lot of sense in trying to capture this market, especially as so many people are disillusioned with how Disney operates their parks right now.

The problem with Villain-Con though, is that the capacity and IP don't matter if no one wants to ride it. The actual gameplay is boring and inconsequential. When you shoot at the villains on screen, your shots seem to have very little effect and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that everything happens whether you manage to hit it or not. Other targets throughout the scenes are inherently uninteresting to hit and some scenes feel as if there's very little to even shoot at all. The concept behind the attraction is really interesting on paper, but the actual gameplay itself is where it fails, feeling like a half-baked mobile game.

I think that this may end up getting the Poseidon's Fury treatment. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go down for a few months in a year or two for a complete reworking. In this case, I think the actual gameplay needs to be rebuilt to make it fun and satisfying. The idea is certainly there, but at a fundamental level, it just doesn't work.

Disstevefan1

The problem with Villain-Con though, is that the capacity and IP don't matter if no one wants to ride it.

I think that this may end up getting the Poseidon's Fury treatment.
This is too bad! Let's hope folks go on it because it's there.

I really liked Poseidon's Fury. The water tunnel was cool.

celluloid

I think that this may end up getting the Poseidon's Fury treatment. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go down for a few months in a year or two for a complete reworking. In this case, I think the actual gameplay needs to be rebuilt to make it fun and satisfying. The idea is certainly there, but at a fundamental level, it just doesn't work.

I don't think you understand why Poseidon's Fury originally went down for the redo to the Darkennon story.

Even if this did need some retooling. it is a low budget and low real estate attraction that is easy going to get its ROI soon.

Operationally speaking, good for Universal as it is pennies compared to most attractions.

build_it

I’m excited for this attraction. I actually enjoy the shooter games. I also find minion’s entertaining.
I do wonder if they developed the game play knowing they would likely have to keep working on it. Sort of real life beta testing. I would think you would be able to work on improvements in other locations/environments and then take the ride down for a short refurb, open back up with new game play. It’d also give you a test drive on any issues and timing needed for future updates. Opening up the possibilities for short term overlays - Halloween, Christmas/holiday, etc.

Tom Morrow

I don't think you understand why Poseidon's Fury originally went down for the redo to the Darkennon story.

What was the reason? I've always heard that the attraction got poor response, and changing the completely serious tone to a more lighthearted one was their attempt at rectifying that.

celluloid

What was the reason? I've always heard that the attraction got poor response, and changing the completely serious tone to a more lighthearted one was their attempt at rectifying that.

That is what went around fansites since Ioacentral in 2003. The truth is much less exciting and while the story of the attraction was altered to less Greek and obvious good guy/bad guy. It was about control and settling. A theme park creative power struggle between the company and ego.

Here is the story from someone quite prominent in the entertainment sector of that resort and central FL circuit who worked directly opening both shows:

Once upon a wondrous time… I believe after the Hercules and Xena show closed…

I came over to Islands of Adventure to be trained as a Keeper at Poseidon’s Fury: Escape from the Lost City. I was one of a group of actors that Universal was doing it’s best for to find new homes. UO has always been great about trying to look after talent displaced by closures. A dedicated band of performers had opened the show with the grand opening of IOA, and they were awesome! Bill Barnett, Rob Diachesyn, Jimmy Mac, Bob Lipka, Robert Herrle, Tom Stearns, and a sparky young Greg Faucette were among the gang. They were such a wonderful, welcoming bunch.

Then change came to Atlantis. A giant of Theme Park creative had sued UO for their “similarities” (aka exact layout) of the Hulk coaster to a Silver Surfer coaster that was pitched to the company during the creation of IOA. He settlement came in the form of Universal hiring this legendary designer to redo the attraction of Poseidon’s Fury, and his recompense for doing so would be a hefty sum to include paying for his original ideas for the coaster. "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man with the ego would be Gary Goddard. Having a past with Universal on a few major products and it is known, and obvious he leads the redo show writing for the second version concept right down to the cast. The oracle changed to Christina Pickles, the actress who appeared in his Masters of the Universe film.

In the decade and a half following the entire company had to change the name due to allegations, and not much dispute on his involvement in inappropriate relationships with minors and casting parties. The design firm itself is still going in the industry.

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

That is what went around fansites since Ioacentral in 2003. The truth is much less exciting and while the story of the attraction was altered to less Greek and obvious good guy/bad guy. It was about control and settling. A theme park creative power struggle between the company and ego.

Here is the story from someone quite prominent in the entertainment sector of that resort and central FL circuit who worked directly opening both shows:

Once upon a wondrous time… I believe after the Hercules and Xena show closed…

I came over to Islands of Adventure to be trained as a Keeper at Poseidon’s Fury: Escape from the Lost City. I was one of a group of actors that Universal was doing it’s best for to find new homes. UO has always been great about trying to look after talent displaced by closures. A dedicated band of performers had opened the show with the grand opening of IOA, and they were awesome! Bill Barnett, Rob Diachesyn, Jimmy Mac, Bob Lipka, Robert Herrle, Tom Stearns, and a sparky young Greg Faucette were among the gang. They were such a wonderful, welcoming bunch.

Then change came to Atlantis. A giant of Theme Park creative had sued UO for their “similarities” (aka exact layout) of the Hulk coaster to a Silver Surfer coaster that was pitched to the company during the creation of IOA. He settlement came in the form of Universal hiring this legendary designer to redo the attraction of Poseidon’s Fury, and his recompense for doing so would be a hefty sum to include paying for his original ideas for the coaster. "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man with the ego would be Gary Goddard. Having a past with Universal on a few major products and it is known, and obvious he leads the redo show writing for the second version concept right down to the cast. The oracle changed to Tiffany Pickles, the actress who appeared in his Masters of the Universe film.

In the decade and a half following the entire company had to change the name due to allegations, and not much dispute on his involvement in inappropriate relationships with minors and casting parties. The design firm itself is still going in the industry.

The story makes sense and is conceivable, though I'm not seeing any record of Goddard himself or the Goddard Group having sued Universal. I don't know if I really believe what you're telling me, but I am open to the possibility.

celluloid

The story makes sense and is conceivable, though I'm not seeing any record of Goddard himself or the Goddard Group having sued Universal. I don't know if I really believe what you're telling me, but I am open to the possibility.
That's kind of how settlements behind closed doors work.
It's of no difference to me whether you believe it or not.

Notice how ill received attractions tend to stick around for their Return on Investment as best and long as they can milk them. Uni had no big reason to scrap the millions they had JUST spent on producing the original Poseidon's Fury at Islands of Adventure had plenty of other big and small fish to support guest satisfaction. They were not in a rush to completely redo it in less than two years. With how quick it happened you can see it was already a settlement before the other was even open long as it takes time to produce those things.

We have someone's word who was in the direction of Ride and Snow as well as Entertainment for both versions and was THE Taylor for the original executive sign off vs fans who claim people just did not get it.(it was not a rocket science story. Keeper turning into Zeus and realizing Poseidon was not nice to you the guest did not take a PHD in Mythology)
No real PR answer at best, and what else would they say? This is why it suddenly and without much fanfare changed early on.

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

That's kind of how settlements behind closed doors work.
It's of no difference to me whether you believe it or not.

Notice how ill received attractions tend to stick around for their Return on Investment as best and long as they can milk them. Uni had no big reason to scrap the millions they had JUST spent on producing the original Poseidon's Fury at Islands of Adventure had plenty of other big and small fish to support guest satisfaction. They were not in a rush to completely redo it in less than two years. With how quick it happened you can see it was already a settlement before the other was even open long as it takes time to produce those things.

We have someone's word who was in the direction of Ride and Snow as well as Entertainment for both versions and was THE Taylor for the original executive sign off vs fans who claim people just did not get it.(it was not a rocket science story. Keeper turning into Zeus and realizing Poseidon was not nice to you the guest did not take a PHD in Mythology)
No real PR answer at best, and what else would they say? This is why it suddenly and without much fanfare changed early on.

I wouldn't expect to hear information on settlements, but wouldn't Goddard or his company suing Universal be public knowledge, or at least be interesting enough to cover by the media?

Also, if an anchor attraction for a new land isn't working in a brand new park, why wouldn't they want to rework it? Disney certainly spent money redoing Journey Into Your Imagination and Superstar Limo because of the poor reception. I know that Universal is not Disney, but reworking the attraction due to poor guest reception doesn't seem inconceivable in that era.

celluloid

I wouldn't expect to hear information on settlements, but wouldn't Goddard or his company suing Universal be public knowledge, or at least be interesting enough to cover by the media?

Also, if an anchor attraction for a new land isn't working in a brand new park, why wouldn't they want to rework it? Disney certainly spent money redoing Journey Into Your Imagination and Superstar Limo because of the poor reception. I know that Universal is not Disney, but reworking the attraction due to poor guest reception doesn't seem inconceivable in that era.
The media nearly 25 years ago was a tad different. Outside of Orlando or trade business no one would care as a market was not as easy to find. You can't find much on the lawsuit for Sylvester McBean's attraction and that one was a full suit. Internet theme park nerd culture where everyone has a podcast or vlog content to fill was not a thing yet. Many suits never get that far.

You won't hear Goddard at all anymore speak on behalf of the company he was booted out from his own company because he was a man that did some bad things.

Poseidon was never an anchor attraction for a new park. The Lost Continent was a major land when Islands of Adventure originally opened. Poseidon's Fury was a supporting attraction and Merlinwood and Sindbad ate more guests. Believe me, nothing was an anchor with the land with two dueling inverted coasters right next to it.

You have to realize how long those other attractions lasted. Poseidon's Fury never had the poor reception of those others. Those are notoriously bad.

It is not inconceivable, but at a certain point think about how unlikely.

DCA was quick to shut down Superstar Limo but took years to decide what to do with it and let it just be shuttered until it's replacement five years later. It's not really comparable. The original Poseidon has never been strongly disliked. With current nerd culture you would have seen people commonly ripping on it and notice one never does?

The general consensus was always the original was more impactful.

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

The media nearly 25 years ago was a tad different. Outside of Orlando or trade business no one would care as a market was not as easy to find. You can't find much on the lawsuit for Sylvester McBean's attraction and that one was a full auit. Internet theme park nerd culture where everyone has a podcast or vlog content to fill was not a thing yet. Many suits never get that far.

You won't here Goddard at all anymore speak on behalf.of.tje company he was booted out from his own company because he was a man that did some bad things.

Poseidon was never an anchor attraction for a new park. The Lost Continent was a major land when Islands of Adventure originally opened. Poseidon's Fury was a supporting attraction and Merlinwood and Sindbad ate more guests.

You have to realize how long those other attractions lasted. Poseidon's Fury never had the poor reception of those others. Those are notoriously bad.

It is not inconceivable, but at a certain point think about how unlikely.

DCA was quick to shut down Superstar Limo but took five years to replace. It's not really comparable. The original Poseidon has never been strongly disliked. With current nerd culture you would have seen people commonly ripping on it and notice one never does?

The general consensus was always the original was more impactful.

I think you've made good arguments on this, and the terminology you used earlier does seem specific enough to be revealing. I'm a little blown away that the story behind the reworking is actually true, but your points make a lot of sense.

jeanericuser001

Well after seeing all the videos of this I am seriously face palming. A long wait gets you a minute or two on a conveyor belt with cheap guns shooting at a projection on a wall. This is just seriously one epic face palm. Its the ultimate down ward slide of disgrace from the legendary hitchcock presents to shrek to now this.....This makes even fast and furious seem great by comparison.

Poseidon Quest

Well after seeing all the videos of this I am seriously face palming. A long wait gets you a minute or two on a conveyor belt with cheap guns shooting at a projection on a wall. This is just seriously one epic face palm. Its the ultimate down ward slide of disgrace from the legendary hitchcock presents to shrek to now this.....This makes even fast and furious seem great by comparison.
I timed it, I believe the conveyor sequence is somewhere between 7-8 minutes. The idea is there, just not the execution.

celluloid

This only needs to last a few years of basic enjoyment and offering until the rest of the resort (Studios specifically) shapes up.
If it lacks luster then it can afford to change or be replaced. Or keep if time shows kind to it. There are many reasons this is a conveyor system and that would be one of them.

Think of this basically as Universal figuring out the "Black Box" attraction concept that is even lower cost to build and operate daily.

This is also the proof of concept of something functional that does not require a lot of real estate.

Thus being a prototype that can function in the new smaller park in Texas.

lazyboy97o

For smaller riders there is a smaller version of the gun that they can use. They have to be able to stand and hold the gun themselves but it’s about half the size of the typical gun everyone else is using.

They really need to work on the responsiveness and tracking. The sights seem to be to the left of where the guns are pointing and delayed as has been noticed. I am open to the idea that is underpowered due to component shortages that were still a real issue when sourcing would have begun, but they really need to figure out a way to address the issue.

I’m not a fan of the “You’re here in a theme park” and “You’re supposed to be in a warehouse” story approaches but I’m more forgiving of it in this park due to its history and roots even if it’s not really being done for those reasons. The scale of the building feels off for the scale of the experience.

It’s cute. It’s the sort of small scale experiences the Orlando parks (Disney and Universal) need but suffers from the same issue of being in a setting that might set up bigger expectations.

The conveyor belt works far better than I expected. It might be something new worth seeing more of as long as it’s not stuck as a shooting arcade system.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom