News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

ToTBellHop

I agree to an extent, but the PR surrounding the ride has itself given outsize attention to these background details.
That’s the oddity here. Details no one notices have been a part of Disney rides since the start. They just weren’t so forthcoming with the “look what we did, guys!” posts.

Are we just supposed to applaud and move on with our lives like a kindergarten chorus show?

From now on, I shall respond to TBA posts with
1685638195974.gif

CaptainAmerica

I agree to an extent, but the PR surrounding the ride has itself given outsize attention to these background details.
These details are the entire reason the project was approved in the first place (and made it through the COVID cuts when things like Spaceship Earth and Play! were killed).

Talk about background details... the "problematic" elements of Splash Mountain were so-in-the-background that in order to even be aware of them, you had to find a bootleg copy of a film that hasn't been released in almost 40 years.

This wasn't a good-faith attempt to entertain guests that happens to be getting distracted with social commentary and political pandering. The social commentary and political pandering are the entire reason this exists.

Tha Realest

THEY ARE DRIVING THE PR! People are talking about what their marketing team is putting out there....
We have had four detailed press rollouts on this attraction and we know very little of what we’re to experience on the actual attraction (attraction story, set pieces, et ). We do know, to the minuscule detail, that this will be culturally authentic.

Drdcm

It'll be a newspaper clipping hung in an office in the queue. Or something like that.

People are just dying to blow this stuff out of proportion when 2 seconds of thought would be enough to realize it'll be background detail there for only the initiated to pick up on.
Ok so I’m not someone who is overwhelmingly negative about this ride. I’m actually pretty optimistic and think I will like it. But why even mention it? It seems like they want a pat on the back or a gold star for including it.

LittleBuford

These details are the entire reason the project was approved in the first place (and made it through the COVID cuts when things like Spaceship Earth and Play! were killed).

Talk about background details... the "problematic" elements of Splash Mountain were so-in-the-background that in order to even be aware of them, you had to find a bootleg copy of a film that hasn't been released in almost 40 years.

This wasn't a good-faith attempt to entertain guests that happens to be getting distracted with social commentary and political pandering. The social commentary and political pandering are the entire reason this exists.
Again, I disagree wholeheartedly with your take, which I find both cynical and blinkered.

Tha Realest

One of Disney’s most welcomed and cultivated influencers just slandered Splash as a “racist — ride.” I don’t think she’ll be uninvited from future media events.

IMG_1005.jpeg

TheMaxRebo

Most of the rides at Disney have tons of backstory elements to them that people only know if they want to uncover it. All of these details sound like that. But the ride will be able to be enjoyed on a surface level as well.

If these little details inspire people to want to lean more about this time I. History and the history of Louisiana / New Orleans the all the better. And they are down in New Orleans currently so makes sense to highlight those elements at this press conference/event

I think the big takeaways are the info on the folks behind the music and the reinforcing about the number of animatronics that will be in the ride

Cmdr_Crimson

Is it me or does it seem like every update seems more and more vague? Like they are giving us concepts about how true they are being to New Orleans but nothing actually concrete about the actual attraction?

Maybe I’m expecting too much?

Also please take special note of this:

Could that rumor about the retheming of Frontierland be true?
Does bring up the question will the Tiana and Naveen look as good as these newer AA's they are rolling out lately..
NNsWpQqqNabJeIBS3VcHgl18rB1RjCYNm6FYtXUwv-U.gif

I'm sure by Destination D they may show more details...

Cmdr_Crimson

This is a theme park ride based on an animated movie based on a centuries-old fairytale and set roughly in an actual historical place and time period. The entire endeavor is cultural appropriation. Cultural appropriation is good.
They could at least fit the Frontier vibe or are they going to have to add that Big Thunder is in the Bayou now?

GoneForGood

One of Disney’s most welcomed and cultivated influencers just slandered Splash as a “racist — ride.” I don’t think she’ll be uninvited from future media events.

View attachment 720512
Don't typically respond to this stuff but...

Maybe she thought going on the very evil thing would vanquish the evil within it?
Why ride it...then post a picture of you on it...and then call it racist...I just...HUH?

ToTBellHop

They could at least fit the Frontier vibe or are they going to have to add that Big Thunder is in the Bayou now?
There are plans that would remove TBA from Frontierland but they are purposely avoiding any statements on what they’ll do as we saw in this Q&A. Not sure why. They seem more focused on using this as a cultural showpiece rather than highlighting how it will look and feel in an actual theme park.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
Terence Blanchard is helming music arrangement for the attraction’s queue. Terence is working with us to select songs from “The Princess and the Frog,” as well as iconic themes from New Orleans.

This part sounds good to me. I'll try to reserve judgment about the rest.

Craig from DIS Unplugged was invited on a trip to New Orleans with the Imagineers. I haven't watched the video yet, but here is the link

FettFan

New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China

Wait…Mexicans? Filipinos?

There was only around 20,000 Hispanic folks (that is, combining all Hispanic ethnicities) in NOLA as of the 2020 census.

Or are they conflating “Spanish” (as New Orleans was briefly Spanish territory as part of Spanish West Florida) with “Mexican” again?

And why aren’t they featuring the Germans and Irish? Thousands of migrants came and made New Orleans home…that’s why we’ve got German Coast and Irish Channel.

There’s also a large Vietnamese population, however they wouldn’t have been there in the 1920s, as they mostly came as refugees after the Vietnam War.
PS - Dong Phuong bakery in NO East has a reputation for some of the best king cakes in the city. People will literally camp out there during carnival season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom