News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

DopeyRunner

Yes, I understand that.

All the talking heads are chalking this up to a political tit for tat when in reality DIS is in a cost reduction phase that would require an additional $1B cuts in redundancies to build a $1B redundant office complex.
The decision to move the staff should really be viewed from a long term perspective. I did a quick search for CoL difference between Glendale and Orlando, just as a reference, and came up with an ~45% difference.

For some napkin math, let’s assume that the original 2000 people move, and salaries are adjusted according to the 45% number above. If the average salary in CA is 150000, that’s a savings of about 67,500/person. That would save about $135 million/year in salary costs (assuming a lateral move in overhead costs, which should also decrease). That’s an approximate 8 year payback period, although the true value calculations would be significantly more complex.

Napkin math aside, very few publicly traded companies would dare forsake upfront profit for long term returns, so the cancellation makes sense. Even if the true payback period was 5 years (extending the savings through reduced overhead and tax savings), it’s likely still too “long term” given the strange market conditions we are seeing. The political back and forth is just the save-face for the company, as it’s easy to hide behind and allows them to attack while still appearing to be in the right.

Nubs70

The decision to move the staff should really be viewed from a long term perspective. I did a quick search for CoL difference between Glendale and Orlando, just as a reference, and came up with an ~45% difference.

For some napkin math, let’s assume that the original 2000 people move, and salaries are adjusted according to the 45% number above. If the average salary in CA is 150000, that’s a savings of about 67,500/person. That would save about $135 million/year in salary costs (assuming a lateral move in overhead costs, which should also decrease). That’s an approximate 8 year payback period, although the true value calculations would be significantly more complex.

Napkin math aside, very few publicly traded companies would dare forsake upfront profit for long term returns, so the cancellation makes sense. Even if the true payback period was 5 years (extending the savings through reduced overhead and tax savings), it’s likely still too “long term” given the strange market conditions we are seeing. The political back and forth is just the save-face for the company, as it’s easy to hide behind and allows them to attack while still appearing to be in the right.
The moves DIS is making are consistent with future storm clouds in respect to earnings I that they are executing cost reduction and cash preservation strategy.

Ayla

If they took a pay cut and moved to FL, they're even dumber than I thought.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Filled with info most everyone here already knows, however I believe this is a non-biased YouTube channel with no political leanings.

Totally unbiased.

1684776030447.png

Sir_Cliff

I never understand why people lap this stuff up. Not just on the Internet, but in certain corners of the media as well.

Do people get some sort of weird pleasure in believing that the world is constantly going to hell in a hand basket with ultimate doom right around the corner?

Last edited:

BlakeW39

I never understand why people lap this stuff up. Not just on the Internet, but in certain corners of the media as well.

Do people get some sort of weird pleasure in believing that the world is constantly going to hell in a hand basket with impending doom right around the corner?

If you're truthfully wondering, then I really just think it's part of our nature. When Trump was president we all saw the same stuff from the other side (and I in no way voted for Trump)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If you're truthfully wondering, then I really just think it's part of our nature. When Trump was president we all saw the same stuff from the other side (and I in no way voted for Trump)
Also, click-bait headlines on YouTube are almost a must at this point in order to drive traffic. I blame YouTube itself TBH. They created the monster with their incentives/algorithms.

BlakeW39

Also, click-bait headlines on YouTube are almost a must at this point in order to drive traffic. I blame YouTube itself TBH. They created the monster with their incentives/algorithms.

oh no doubt, rage bait is a social media thing. Disney gets caught up in political stuff (and anti-consumer business strategies) a lot as well so it's no surprise they catch their fair share of it.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Deadline reporting the third wave of layoffs has started.

"The third wave of layoffs at Disney got under way today, sources tell Deadline.

It is estimated to effect around 700 employees across the board at the company, we’re told. While Parks and Resorts remain mainly untouched, the pink slipping this week isn’t aimed at any particular division. We hear television, which was hit hard in the second round, is largely spared this time with a small number of layoffs, we hear.

Following the timeline of cuts Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed in late March, this is expected to be the last of the significant layoffs at Disney for a while. However, there many still be some smaller cuts in the next couple of months, sources say."

Full article below.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom