News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Stripes

I really wish a reporter would call DeSantis out on his even playing field nonsense.

Can a reporter ask DeSantis to name another theme park operator that pays almost 90% of the cost of their municipal services and infrastructure while still paying all property taxes to the state and county governments? Or whose local land use regulations and tax dollars are controlled by an unelected board appointed by the governor?

lazyboy97o

Thank you for the detail, I've heard it brought up many times of contract law being an established part of the legal process. I expect them to add them to the complaint if such a bill came to be.

They are also seeking an injunction so if the state does claim these documents are voided they can't cause major harm. As without that developer agreement in place they could do all sorts of retaliatory things to Disney. I am hoping they are granted that sooner rather then later or in the time it takes for this to be settled they could cause irreparable harm to the district and all the businesses within it.
There’s really not a lot of urgency. They first need to go through the process of changing the Comprehensive Plan and land development regulations, which is not a quick process. Even if they decided to move forward with affordable housing which can now be built in more zoning categories, they need land which would have to be acquired thus kicking off its own legal battles. By throwing a fit about the agreement first they’ve hindered their ability to act on any alternative plans.

MagicHappens1971

There’s really not a lot of urgency. They first need to go through the process of changing the Comprehensive Plan and land development regulations, which is not a quick process. Even if they decided to move forward with affordable housing which can now be built in more zoning categories, they need land which would have to be acquired thus kicking off its own legal battles. By throwing a fit about the agreement first they’ve hindered their ability to act on any alternative plans.
In the short term however, if Disney doesn’t get an injunction, can the new board prevent Disney from building things?

WDWHero

I really wish a reporter would call DeSantis out on his even playing field nonsense.

Can a reporter ask DeSantis to name another theme park operator that pays almost 90% of the cost of their municipal services and infrastructure while still paying all property taxes to the state and county governments? Or whose local land use regulations and tax dollars are controlled by an unelected board appointed by the governor?
It's kinda sad I've learned more about all of this on a Disney fan site than from established media. I think a lot of reporters are too overworked to get into the nuance and actual comprehensive facts about all of this. Even some experts articles I've read don't explain this.

Disstevefan1

Oh my god. You get so close to the point everytime.

There are so many words that we are not allowed to use that I wish I could. It doesn't matter how RCID was established, used, controlled, etc.

That is not the problem.

The Governor assaulted an American's (Disney) right to freedom of speech. Now before you try to tell me "I don't understand freedom of speech", for example, the moderators of this board have every right to delete my posts. Lets say the moderators were also police officers, if they tried to punish me in their official capacity, they would be assaulting my right to freedom of speech.

Disney does not have a fundamental right to "control" of their special district, yes. But that is not the argument here.

Disney does have a right to freedom of speech, yes.

The Gov/FL Legislature had the right to dissolve/reconfigure RCID, yes.

The Gov/FL legislature did NOT have the right to dissolve/reconfigure RCID as a punitive measure to Disney for exercising their free speech.
I did not mean to trigger you, if we were free to speak on these boards, I would welcome your words even if they were against me.

I agree with your points.

RCID was created by the state with all the extra special privileges for TWDC to bring WDW to Florida.

The reason DeSantis dissolved/reconfigured RCID was illegal. The Gov/FL legislature did NOT have the right to dissolve/reconfigure RCID as a punitive measure to Disney for exercising their free speech.

I think by now, we have proof RCID was always controlled by TWDC (please don't deny this one).

TWDC is trying to use 1A to regain control they had before.

JohnD

DeSantis is claiming that existing Florida law allows for the legislature to void a development agreement.

There's a filed "strike all" amendment to SB 1604 that apparently does this. Included is this relevant language:

1682975226460.png

MagicHappens1971

I did not mean to trigger you, if we were free to speak on these boards, I would welcome your words even if they were against me.

I agree with your points.

RCID was created by the state with all the extra special privileges for TWDC to bring WDW to Florida.

The reason DeSantis dissolved/reconfigured RCID was illegal. The Gov/FL legislature did NOT have the right to dissolve/reconfigure RCID as a punitive measure to Disney for exercising their free speech.

I think by now, we have proof RCID was always controlled by TWDC (please don't deny this one).
I won’t deny this as in essence it was. However its control has no negative benefits to the state, taxpayers, or guests.
TWDC is trying to use 1A to regain control they had before.
That is somewhat true, it’s the way you are express that they are. You point blank acknowledged that the gov dissolved RCID because of Disneys actions. And the 1A is only one of the 5 different claims they put in their lawsuit. You are trying to pretend that they have no basis to sue for first amendment violations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom