News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JusticeDisney

As a member of said party, I don't know a single fellow member outside of these forums that hasn't, at minimum, lost respect for or trust in Disney through this whole fiasco. That's not to say that those same people agree with DeSantis' actions (many, myself included, don't), but the Company doesn't come out squeaky clean either.
Well, I know countless members of the Republican party who think that DeSantis is a total clown and that Disney had every right to speak up for what they believe in. I guess the folks who I know - unlike the ones who you know - just choose to put the constitution, including the First Amendment, above their subjective personal beliefs.

Last edited:

JohnD

Here is the "strike all" amendment filed on Sunday to SB 1604 which apparently voids Disney's development agreement. The bill has been "temporarily postponed" today while on 2nd reading. The relevant text from the amendment is below.

1682972894860.png

Another interesting amendment is who pays for the attorney's fees.
1682973035994.png

Disstevefan1

I don’t think anyone who is focused on guest experience has a whole lot to do with this lawsuit. It’s possible that there could be an impact to guests if some bozos 🤡decide to show up at WDW and make trouble, but that’s what security is for. Outside of that I don’t think guests will be impacted.

I have heard some people in my hood say they were reluctant to go to FL with all this going on (not really RCID directly, but more the book bannings and hostility towards certain groups all while making guns more prevalent), but in those cases they aren’t skipping WDW for Universal they are saying they are skipping the whole state. I will believe it when I see it, talk is cheap. I am planning a trip to Universal and Sea World this Summer and not WDW so I hope the crowds aren’t huge with everyone avoiding Disney.
I am happy to hear you are going to SeaWorld. I am a big fan of SeaWorld and my favorite is their Christmas season.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Though he is confident the union’s first responders will back the contract, Shirey said members are concerned Disney’s lawsuit against Gov. Ron DeSantis and the board, in addition to the board’s likely countersuit, over Disney’s development agreements could affect the new contract’s approval.

That's the Union guy talking... Shirey... he's simply saying this fight could impede the board from getting to and executing the new contract.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but it seems like they are using this as a way to say Disney is stopping the first responders from getting this deal. Making them look like the enemy.

This is just more FUD from this guy which is par for him. He's just pointing out the uncertainty of everything makes getting down to their business challenging.

JusticeDisney

Selling "Love is Universal" merch and donating 100 percent of the profits and saying out of a fight that has nothing to do with them is catering to the far-right?

Wow.
Wait. So you think that a state government retaliating against a private business that operates theme parks is a situation that has nothing to do with Universal? Please tell me that you are not actually saying that.

Surferboy567

Both the state and federal constitutions prohibit the impairment of contracts. Upholding contracts has a long, established history that predates the United States.

Disney can amend their complaint to include the additional legislation. The only issue is there might be a problem with standing to challenge the law since it doesn’t itself negate the contracts, but is to allow the Board to negate contracts. The law itself isn’t what causes injury, it’s “hypothetical” future actions by others. Since Disney is suing both the state and District that might help any weird issues.
Thank you for the detail, I've heard it brought up many times of contract law being an established part of the legal process. I expect them to add them to the complaint if such a bill came to be.

They are also seeking an injunction so if the state does claim these documents are voided they can't cause major harm. As without that developer agreement in place they could do all sorts of retaliatory things to Disney. I am hoping they are granted that sooner rather then later or in the time it takes for this to be settled they could cause irreparable harm to the district and all the businesses within it.

sedati

Is there any sort of professional alliance between the entertainment giants of Florida. It may soon become a good idea to join together in a sort of unified front. Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, LegoLand, not to mention the cruise lines- if Disney alone wasn't able to garner respect with the state, maybe all those would be enough to cement change and progress in the state they so significantly helped shape.

Brian

Well, I know countless members of the Republican party who think that DeSantis is a total clown and that Disney had every right to speak up for what they believe in.
As do I.
I guess the folks who I know - unlike the ones who you know - just choose to put the constitution, including the First Amendment, above the subjective personal beliefs.
You're conflating two distinct matters, at least as it pertains to my argument, which is that Disney's public stance was, and remains, frowned upon by vast swaths of the Republican party. Certainly one can disagree with Disney's stances while also disagreeing with the way that DeSantis responded to those stances, which is how most people I know, myself included, feel.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
in doing so, they alienated an entire political party.
I don’t think this is true. Less than half the party identifies as MAGA Republicans and not everyone registered Republican supports DeSantis or his bill. I think polling around the original bill still had close to 1/3 of Republicans opposed and that was when it was only grades K-3. Some who supported it were not happy it got extended through grade 12.

The bigger point is even if someone supports a bill when asked a yes/no question it doesn’t mean they feel alienated when someone else disagrees. A few years back more than 75% of Republicans opposed kneeling during the national anthem and opposed the NFL allowing it. I know a lot of Republicans who still watch the NFL. My guess is the majority of people who claim they feel alienated enough to not want to do business with Disney anymore were not doing much business with them anyway. Those who regularly visited the parks or watched ESPN or Disney+ still will.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I was responding to a member who was seemingly implying that Universal is just in it for the money.
They all are.

Literally, that's the sole purpose of a business.

So while proceeds from these specific items are going to help a cause, guess what: they're getting a huge tax write off for it at the cost of you feeling good about yourself. Also, they sold you one $25 item which benefits a cause, which is their loss leader, since they're also going to sell you some food, drink, and other merchandise with very high markups.

Disstevefan1

Wait. So you think that a state government retaliating against a private business that operates theme parks is a situation that has nothing to do with Universal? Please tell me that you are not actually saying that.
The fight between Disney and DeSantis is their fight. Not Universal’s

DeSantis was wrong to dissolve RCID.

Disney is using 1A to try to regain control of the special district.

If you feel strongly Universal should get involved I am sure there is a Twitter mob out there you can get in contact with that would love attack Universal for literally minding their own business.

Brian

Is there any sort of professional alliance between the entertainment giants of Florida. It may soon become a good idea to join together in a sort of unified front. Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, LegoLand, not to mention the cruise lines- if Disney alone wasn't able to garner respect with the state, maybe all those would be enough to cement change and progress in the state they so significantly helped shape.
There is zero interest for any other company to jump in front of that train. Heck, even Iger regrets getting dragged into the battle over RCID:
“I was sorry to see us dragged into the that battle, and I have no idea exactly what its ramifications are,” he told employees.
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/28/dis...ont-say-gay-lgbtq-inclusion-at-town-hall.html

WDWHero

Haven’t been in years. We got tickets to Discovery Cove and they come with SeaWorld tickets too. My kids were too small for coasters last time we went so it will be a different experience.
Busch parks employees are probably the worst I've experienced, we had BGT APs for a year and then promptly let them lapse. Rudest employees and I also had one employee try to get me to give him a tip when he tried to get me to steal some soda by saying it was all 1/2 off, when it actually wasn't.

MagicHappens1971

The fight between Disney and DeSantis it their fight. Not Universal’s

DeSantis was wrong to dissolve RCID.
Oh my god. You get so close to the point everytime.
Disney is using 1A to try to regain control of the special district.
There are so many words that we are not allowed to use that I wish I could. It doesn't matter how RCID was established, used, controlled, etc.

That is not the problem.

The Governor assaulted an American's (Disney) right to freedom of speech. Now before you try to tell me "I don't understand freedom of speech", for example, the moderators of this board have every right to delete my posts. Lets say the moderators were also police officers, if they tried to punish me in their official capacity, they would be assaulting my right to freedom of speech.

Disney does not have a fundamental right to "control" of their special district, yes. But that is not the argument here.

Disney does have a right to freedom of speech, yes.

The Gov/FL Legislature had the right to dissolve/reconfigure RCID, yes.

The Gov/FL legislature did NOT have the right to dissolve/reconfigure RCID as a punitive measure to Disney for exercising their free speech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom