Disney Preparing Live-Action Peter Pan with Pete’s Dragon Director

LittleBuford

This is a big part of the divide I see on here. The defend Disneys honor squad love to throw out articles to prove they're right. Then someone else does the same and they're the trouble maker? It's really a societal problem in general. You can't have it both ways, and that happens a lot on here.
To be clear, I have no problem with people sharing reviews. But such reviews are no substitute for one’s own opinion. You can’t come in here declaring your personal hatred for something you haven’t even seen and expect people to take you seriously. “Here’s a negative review I encountered and want to share with you all” is very different from “I detest this film based solely on someone else’s takedown of it on YouTube!”

CaptainAmerica

To be clear, I have no problem with people sharing reviews. But such reviews are no substitute for one’s own opinion. You can’t come in here declaring your personal hatred for something you haven’t even seen and expect people to take you seriously. “Here’s a negative review I encountered and want to share with you all” is very different from “I detest this film based solely on someone else’s takedown of it on YouTube!”
There's a difference between your opinion of the art and your opinion of the business. I haven't seen the new Peter Pan so I don't like it or dislike it. But I can observe that loads of other people seem to hate it so it seems to be another in a long line of failures from Disney.

LittleBuford

There's a difference between your opinion of the art and your opinion of the business. I haven't seen the new Peter Pan so I don't like it or dislike it. But I can observe that loads of other people seem to hate it so it seems to be another in a long line of failures from Disney.
OK, but that isn’t what I was responding to. I have been very specific in what I’m criticising, which is the idea that one can knowledgeably judge and hate—yes, hate—a specific film on the basis of a 9-minute YouTube review.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is a big part of the divide I see on here. The defend Disneys honor squad love to throw out articles to prove they're right. Then someone else does the same and they're the trouble maker? It's really a societal problem in general. You can't have it both ways, and that happens a lot on here.
There's a difference between articles with facts and data and articles with just more opinions.

Magenta Panther

A reviewer at the Site That Shall Not Be Named has given his take on Peter Pan and Wendy. And it's spot-on. Scores the flick a 4/10. Lists every abomination in it. And points out that the aim of "Disney" with its live-action remakes is not to make better versions of its classics, but to correct the imagined problems some people have with them. I'm a bit surprised by the reviewer's honesty. That seems to be a no-no regarding unofficial Disney websites these days...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A reviewer at the Site That Shall Not Be Named has given his take on Peter Pan and Wendy. And it's spot-on. Scores the flick a 4/10. Lists every abomination in it. And points out that the aim of "Disney" with its live-action remakes is not to make better versions of its classics, but to correct the imagined problems some people have with them. I'm a bit surprised by the reviewer's honesty. That seems to be a no-no regarding unofficial Disney websites these days...
There's plenty of Disney content that has been panned: Cars 2; Lightyear; Eternals; Rise of Skywalker; etc... Almost all direct-to-Disney+ movies have horrible ratings.

And yet the pernicious lie that Disney controls all such reviews continues as a baseless conspiracy theory.

Are some third-tier vloggers afraid of losing access to the Food & Wine preview? Sure. But not enough to move the needle.

LittleBuford

Still wasting those minutes, huh?

CaptainAmerica

Watched it this morning, thought it was terrible. The actor who played Peter Pan was the WOOOOORST, and I don't know who Jude Law was playing, but it wasn't Captain Hook.

Bottom-tier, along with Pinocchio and Dumbo.

Cinderella remains the only one of these that I liked.

CaptainAmerica

-As I stated earlier, I really like how this adaptation tackles the growing up/losing one’s childhood theme. I think the “growing up wrong” line is very compelling. It implies that simply aging is not the problem, but the way you age and the adults that some people become can be harmful and bad. Wendy’s happy thoughts consisting of both her as a child and as an adult is an example of this concept and one that is simple, yet so very well-done (and is the whole point of the story!). There is beauty, fun, and good in both childhood and adulthood. The emphasis on the importance and strength of a mother’s love is evident in this film and helps drives the biggest theme of the story home. Again, these themes are central to the story, and the animated version only slightly addresses them. Given that it’s a children’s movie from the 1950’s, I’m not surprised it doesn’t properly and extensively address these themes. However, I do appreciate when they are addressed, and this film adaption does so convincingly.
This is one area where I think the progressive casting harmed the theme. The lost boys should have been boys. The need for boys to become men, and the role that Wendy plays in their awakening, is different than the need for children to become adults in a more generic sense.

This is particularly important now in a time of prolonged adolescence and permanent "guyhood."

LittleBuford

Watched it this morning, thought it was terrible. The actor who played Peter Pan was the WOOOOORST, and I don't know who Jude Law was playing, but it wasn't Captain Hook.

Bottom-tier, along with Pinocchio and Dumbo.

Cinderella remains the only one of these that I liked.
I thought the acting was solid throughout. I’m especially surprised that you didn’t like Law’s performance.

Californian Elitist

This is one area where I think the progressive casting harmed the theme. The lost boys should have been boys. The need for boys to become men, and the role that Wendy plays in their awakening, is different than the need for children to become adults in a more generic sense.
Where does the need for boys to become men come from? I’m the text, the Lost Boys leave Never Land because they agree to grow up, not necessarily because they all want to become men. In the original animated film, they don’t leave Never Land at all. Could you clarify?

CaptainAmerica

Where does the need for boys to become men come from? I’m the text, the Lost Boys leave Never Land because they agree to grow up, not necessarily because they all want to become men. In the original animated film, they don’t leave Never Land at all. Could you clarify?
"But where do you live mostly now?"

"With the lost boys."

"Who are they?"

"They are the children who fall out of their perambulators when the nurse is looking the other way. If they are not claimed in seven days they are sent far away to the Neverland to defray expenses. I’m captain."

"What fun it must be!"

"Yes," said cunning Peter, "but we are rather lonely. You see we have no female companionship."

"Are none of the others girls?"

"Oh, no; girls, you know, are much too clever to fall out of their prams."

This flattered Wendy immensely. "I think," she said, "it is perfectly lovely the way you talk about girls; John there just despises us."

LittleBuford

"With the lost boys."

"Who are they?"

"They are the children who fall out of their perambulators when the nurse is looking the other way. If they are not claimed in seven days they are sent far away to the Neverland to defray expenses. I’m captain."

"What fun it must be!"

"Yes," said cunning Peter, "but we are rather lonely. You see we have no female companionship."

This flattered Wendy immensely. "I think," she said, "it is perfectly lovely the way you talk about girls; John there just despises us."
But none of this was conveyed in the animated film either.

Californian Elitist

"With the lost boys."

"Who are they?"

"What fun it must be!"

I’m fully aware of the reason there are no lost girls in the text.

I’m still confused about your statement about the Lost Boys becoming men.

Magenta Panther

There's plenty of Disney content that has been panned: Cars 2; Lightyear; Eternals; Rise of Skywalker; etc... Almost all direct-to-Disney+ movies have horrible ratings.

And yet the pernicious lie that Disney controls all such reviews continues as a baseless conspiracy theory.

Are some third-tier vloggers afraid of losing access to the Food & Wine preview? Sure. But not enough to move the needle.
Maybe re-read my comment. You completely misinterpreted it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom