The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

EPCOT-O.G.

Ready! We need to see better commercials for WDW as a reminder for why The Walt Disney World Resort was viewed as "A major milestone" with generations of people between the 1970s till the early 2000s.
My favorite was the ones they did for the opening of Galaxy’s Edge, where the actors (upon entering SWGE and presumptively seeing the Falcon for the first time) appeared as if they were travelers on a holy pilgrimage, experiencing Mecca or St. Peter’s Basilica for the first time.

JohnD

It's finally here.

1680268483782.png

aladdin2007

I remember....being there on Oct 1st, the day of the 50th. It was like a somber funeral way too quiet, aside from fights in the emporium over merch. No control, no management no care.....The 50th was barely even mentioned by anyone, it was as if cast was not allowed.
We still had a nice day and we were happy we got to be there. We remembered the magic, it was too bad the company and TDO purposely didn't. I suspect they wont bother with anniversaries ever again, not until we get a management and park execs who care. Lets hope the 60th turns out better if they bother at all.

Last edited:

JohnD

I remember....being there on Oct 1st, the day of the 50th. It was like a somber funeral aside from fights in the emporium over merch. No control, no management no care. No one barely mentioned the 50th, it was as if cast was not allowed.
We still had a nice day and we were happy we got to be there. We remembered the magic, it was too bad the company and TDO purposely didn't. I suspect they wont bother with anniversaries ever again, not until we get a management and park execs who care.

This was me. What a letdown.
i-was-there-the-day-the-strength-of-men-failed.jpg

Touchdown

I remember....being there on Oct 1st, the day of the 50th. It was like a somber funeral aside from fights in the emporium over merch. No control, no management no care. No one barely mentioned the 50th, it was as if cast was not allowed.
We still had a nice day and we were happy we got to be there. We remembered the magic, it was too bad the company and TDO purposely didn't. I suspect they wont bother with anniversaries ever again, not until we get a management and park execs who care.
I don’t know if I call it somber. The place (outside of stores) was dead. Waits were party level short, I nearly rode every ride and show at WDW (no speedway, barnstormer, Astro orbiter, MILF) and did something I’ve never done (TSI.) I remember having to sneakily turn over a paper covering to get the QR code for Pete’s so that I could keep refreshing to get in there. I remember all the people just sitting on MSUSA all day. However there was one good memory from that day. Mid Morning I mosyed on over to CBJ and got to watch the show with a packed crowd who whooped and hollered and clapped along like it was a new attraction. It was amazing. The rest of the day not so much.

Richie248

Do you think they yank down the 50 medallion on the Castle overnight?
I could them yanking it down and replacing it w/ a 100 YOW medallion tonight....along with ditching any mention of the 50th. I think the rest of the castle decor stays....but we shall see.

jrhwdw

Do you think they yank down the 50 medallion on the Castle overnight?

I could them yanking it down and replacing it w/ a 100 YOW medallion tonight....along with ditching any mention of the 50th. I think the rest of the castle decor stays....but we shall see.
DE needs the 50th Crest, correct? HEA doesn't return till Monday.... Unless I missed it, no Insider has said that MK is getting a Disney100 Crest..............

Post 50th Graphics are now along I Drive. It looks like the current Castle Paint is staying?

brb1006

My favorite was the ones they did for the opening of Galaxy’s Edge, where the actors (upon entering SWGE and presumptively seeing the Falcon for the first time) appeared as if they were travelers on a holy pilgrimage, experiencing Mecca or St. Peter’s Basilica for the first time.
I thought we agreed not to speak of those videos!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney says the 50th decorations will start to come down this weekend. The statues will stick around for a bit longer.

"As the EARidescent décor starts to come down this weekend—including the phased removal of those beautiful 50th anniversary embellishments on Cinderella Castle—I’m still a little awestruck by how boldly and beautifully we transformed our World for the celebration. And our world-famous castle wasn’t the only icon to get dressed up for the occasion, with each theme park’s icon illuminating the night as a Beacon of Magic. While most of that 50th sparkle and EARidesence will end with the celebration with park icons at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, and Magic Kingdom Park returning to their usual radiance… Spaceship Earth will continue to shine well into the future with beautiful light displays each night!"

"Fun golden sculptures featuring 50 beloved characters at each of our theme parks? Um, yes please! If you were hoping the Disney Fab 50 Collection would stick around just a bit longer after the celebration, you’re in luck… I hear they may be in our parks beyond the celebration’s official ending for guests to enjoy."

ToTBellHop

Disney says the 50th decorations will start to come down this weekend. The statues will stick around for a bit longer.

"As the EARidescent décor starts to come down this weekend—including the phased removal of those beautiful 50th anniversary embellishments on Cinderella Castle—I’m still a little awestruck by how boldly and beautifully we transformed our World for the celebration. And our world-famous castle wasn’t the only icon to get dressed up for the occasion, with each theme park’s icon illuminating the night as a Beacon of Magic. While most of that 50th sparkle and EARidesence will end with the celebration with park icons at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, and Magic Kingdom Park returning to their usual radiance… Spaceship Earth will continue to shine well into the future with beautiful light displays each night!"

"Fun golden sculptures featuring 50 beloved characters at each of our theme parks? Um, yes please! If you were hoping the Disney Fab 50 Collection would stick around just a bit longer after the celebration, you’re in luck… I hear they may be in our parks beyond the celebration’s official ending for guests to enjoy."

Right…because they interact with the MB+.

Just paint them silver.

brb1006

I'm sick reading and hearing the word "EARidescent". Thank goodness we won't have to hear or see EARidescent being use again once the anniversary is officially over. Not even Disneyland 60th Anniversary or Walt Disney World's 25th Anniversary invented buzzwords or new terms just for anniversary merchandise and decorations.

Sir_Cliff

* Gold Statues of Disney, Pixar, and Star Wars Characters found at the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom which were later made interactive with guests who had MagicBand+.
I forgot that they made a big deal about the 50 character statues and then it turned out they didn't want to pay to actually make 50 statues for the 50th, so they just stuck multiple characters onto several of the statues so there would be 50 characters represented! 😂

Last edited:

UpAllNight

Having experienced the fantastic Disneyland Paris 30th Celebrations and Disney Worlds atrocious 50th, the contrast in approach was staggering.

I think it’s because Disney is not a right of passage in Europe, so they have to make genuine effort to attract guests, whereas in Florida, they’ve been drip feeding a Moana walk through for years providing bi-weekly updates and people lap it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom