News Reimagined Toontown coming

pdude81

A few updates from Scott -

Here's video Disney shared -

It's kind of sad that the most exciting offerings from Disney this year (for me) are meet and greets. Not sure if that's more sad because they aren't doing enough or more sad because I'm really excited to see Figment and/or Pete in a costume.

Consumer

Not that I really care, but this outfit for Mickey is awful. "But it makes more sense for him to be dressed down at his house." I don't care. He looks like he promotes his soundcloud in the replies to his own tweets. Should've just kept him in his tux.

1679065256561.png

mickEblu

Not that I really care, but this outfit for Mickey is awful. "But it makes more sense for him to be dressed down at his house." I don't care. He looks like he promotes his soundcloud in the replies to his own tweets. Should've just kept him in his tux.

View attachment 704408

Lol I had every thought you posted in the same order. Just sub SoundCloud for the New ChuckECheese rat

mickEblu

View attachment 704408

On second thought, does it really make more sense than being in his tux? It’s not like we’re surprising him on a Saturday afternoon. We’re in line meeting him. It’s an event.

Brer Oswald

I like Mickey’s outfit, but it’s completely out of place amongst the others. Either everyone gets contemporary outfits or everyone wears the traditional ones. This look awkward.

Besides that, I’m happy Toontown is reopening.
It’s a weird outfit choice for what is supposed to be “the definitive world of Mickey Mouse”. His button pants are just too iconic.

A fine fit for DCA or DHS maybe. A perfect fit for new hipster Epcot. But ToonTown? Where everyone else has their classic fits? It just seems awkward like you said.

mharrington

A few updates from Scott -

Here's video Disney shared -

Technically, that's not quite true: Pete did make a few live appearances, albeit very few and very brief. Here he is in a crowd of other characters (probably in 1983 or '84, given how huge Pluto's pupils are; it's also probably Disneyland, since I don't believe the big-pupiled Pluto ever appeared at WDW):
1679062093853.png

Actually, the only time I can ever recall seeing Pete was in one of those Disney ice shows, in particular this one from 1988, when they did a special ice show for Mickey's 60th birthday. Pete appears in a scene themed to "Steamboat Willie":
1679062183836.png

In any case, Disney Dan did a whole video in which he complains about the lack of appearances by Pete in the park (save for those two brief appearances I mentioned earlier):

Among other things, Dan seems baffled by how, in the above picture, Pete is actually shorter than Br'er Bear, when he should be about that same size, if not bigger. Incidentally, the costume just released bears a striking resemblance to this one made by a fan that Dan also shows off. Do you suppose Disney looked to this video for inspiration?

As for Mickey's new look, I don't think it's much compared to Tokyo's Toontown, where not just Mickey but all of the characters got special outfits (sorry I couldn't find a better one; images like that are hard to come by):
mickey tokyo toontown outfit.jpg

It doesn't even bear any of the traditional Mickey color scheme at all, save for a few spots of red here and there. At least the rest of his friends' alternate costume are based on their tradition color schemes (pink for Minnie, blue and yellow for Donald, green and orange for Goofy, etc.). For the sake of comparison, here is an image of Donald and Goofy in their special outfits found only in Tokyo:
1679063968461.png

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Technically, that's not quite true: Pete did make a few live appearances, albeit very few and very brief. Here he is in a crowd of other characters (probably in 1983 or '84, given how huge Pluto's pupils are; it's also probably Disneyland, since I don't believe the big-pupiled Pluto ever appeared at WDW):
View attachment 704412
Among other things, Dan seems baffled by how, in the above picture, Pete is actually shorter than Br'er Bear, when he should be about that same size, if not bigger. Incidentally, the costume just released bears a striking resemblance to this one made by a fan that Dan also shows off. Do you suppose Disney looked to this video for ininspiration
To me it looks like Pete was actually Goofy/Br'er Bear height, which would put him at about 6'2" since that's how tall Goofy was. Keep in mind Br'er Bear has a taller neck that the performer, so while the costume looks to be taller than Petez the performers seem to he about the same size.

brb1006

With Pete finally making a proper meetable appearance at the Disney Parks. That now leaves Mortimer Mouse (Mickey's rival)
kxV3qCZebjRebsm4Y959KBpgNOfuhhmcsNK4ns891SU.jpg

And Fifi The Peke (Pluto's love interest and Minnie's Pet)
Images-0.jpg

As the only characters from "Mickey and Friends" and the Classic Disney Shorts that have yet to have walkaround versions.

Heck, if Clarice (Chip n Dale's love interest) is able to become a meetable character at the parks. Then I think Fifi the Peke (Pluto's love interest and Minnie's Pet) should get this treatment too.
Tumblr_nokrg0mwUd1r3jmn6o1_1280.png

TP2000

MiceChat article mentions the Mickey Fountain in front of his house was also removed.

That original fountain (the one where it made noises when you stepped on the instrument shapes on the sidewalk) has been replaced with more AstroTurf. :( You can see it in the photos released today.

TP2000

It's about time Pete finally makes a proper park appearance!

Isn't it weird he showed up first at Disneyland? A decade ago they gave him his own meet n' greet location at WDW in their New Fantasyland makeover, except he wasn't actually there. So then he shows up in Anaheim a decade later where there is no real point of reference for him? Kind of odd location for his "debut", don't you think?

40083499055_b400912849_b.jpg

mharrington

It's about time Pete finally makes a proper park appearance!

I can only hope that Pete will now be featured in any and all villain-themed events, like on Halloween. But somehow, I doubt it, since the Big Bad Wolf doesn't seem to make appearances then either.

On that note, I have a feeling that after the reopening, Pete will be relegated to incidental bit player along with the rest of the secondary Mickey and Friends universe characters (i.e., Horace, Clarabelle, Scrooge, Von Drake, Max, Clarice, Jose Carioca, and Huey, Dewey and Louie, all of whom only make rare appearances).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom