News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Companies can do what they want and have the same rights. I’m not arguing that, but they have to understand negative things can happen when they make a public political stance with the country being so divided regardless of the issue. That’s all I’m saying
Every company faces this every day. They all take positions on a large number of issues. Taking those positions may alienate people who oppose the position. Not supporting a position can also alienate people who support the issue. You can’t please everyone. Companies generally have a mission statement and with it a set of core values they supposedly live by which goes beyond just making a profit for shareholders. It’s mostly corporate mumbo jumbo talk and a bunch of buzz words but it still exists. Generally speaking the company should decide what issues to support or not support based on those values.

JohnD

Expect Democrats to offer amendments regarding the board, likely removing the Governor as the appointee of the board. Those will lose by party line vote. But there could be adjustments that are agreeable. First committee stop is tomorrow at 2pm. Will be interesting to watch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Companies should not take a side. Individuals can, but companies should focus on running their business. Companies taking any side publicly will likely cause more issues than it solves with the country and likely some employees, shareholders, and customers divided on various issues.
Corporations are people, my friend.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’ve said repeatedly that Chapek was an idiot for stepping into the fire but it looks like DeSantis may come out looking just as idiotic for creating this new mess.

A few nobody tweets is nothing. It just shows how eager most are to try to make a devil out of anyone if it means someone will listen to them. The same drone story has been posted 3 times from 3 different sources today. Its attention whoring by those tweeters and the folks feeding on it.

Last edited:

sedati

I gotta admit it’s funny watching the other wolves turn on DeSantis for personal gain just like he turned on Disney for personal gain.

I’ve said repeatedly that Chapek was an idiot for stepping into the fire but it looks like DeSantis may come out looking just as idiotic for creating this new mess.

If this is considered political feel free to delete, I view it more as a lesson to everyone, just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.
And if you can’t do it (legally), you really shouldn’t. If Disney proves to be the wronged party, it won’t be DeSantis they sue. It will be the state of Florida who is complicit in all these actions.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

A few nobody tweets is nothing. It just shows how eager most are to try to make a devil out of anyone if it means someone will listen to them. The same drone story has been posted 3 times from 3 different sources today. It’s attention whoring by those tweeters and the folks feeding on it.

Nobody’s or not it was on my Bing homepage when I opened the internet on my iPad, I have no idea who they are but I still read the article and it makes him look bad.

disneylandtour

Companies should not take a side. Individuals can, but companies should focus on running their business. Companies taking any side publicly will likely cause more issues than it solves with the country and likely some employees, shareholders, and customers divided on various issues.
So you also, obviously, are in favor of banning corporate donations to political campaigns???

Lilofan

Companies buy into to get access and favors . The Mouse is not the only player in this long running never ending game.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
So you also, obviously, are in favor of banning corporate donations to political campaigns???

Companies buy into to get access and favors . The Mouse is not the only player in this long running never ending game.

Yep. I get why they and other lobbyists do it, but it’s pay to play in hopes to get special treatment, favors, handouts, etc. It’s a messy system and a bribery game behind the scenes, also why so many in Washington end up multi millionaires when their salary is nothing close.

How would we feel if Comcast was sending a ton of money to DeSantis to go after Disney?

harryk

Shall be interesting to see how the State and County handle what Reedy Creek took care of when it comes to security, maintenance of infrastructure, etc. May be one of the 'do you really want to do this?' situations and 'why did we take this on?' down the road.

LSLS

As I recall, several companies signed what in effect was a meaningless piece of paper. They were virtue signaling.

Disney declined to sign it and instead tried to use their impressive cadre of lobbyists in Florida to effect real change in the Parental Rights In Education Act. Unaware of this back-channel maneuvering, activists threw Disney under the bus, forcing Chapek to issue a very public statement and go on an apology tour. Only after this was Disney singled out.

In the end, it was the one company who tried to do something real that ended up being attacked by both sides.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Disney tried to do nothing, including avoiding the meaningless piece of paper. That caused a HUGE amount of outrage from a lot of cast members (many of whom are LGBTQ or know someone who is). As there were discussions of a walkout by the cast members, Chapek reversed his decision, and then took it well past denouncing the legislation to try to appease the cast members. This included eliminating contributions to all politicians in Florida. Without their money flowing into their election funds, the state legislature decided to attack and make an example out of Disney for all its "Wokeness" (I have thoughts on that word, but I'll leave that for another time). I'm pretty sure that's how we got here. Disney wasn't trying to make change, they were trying to stay out of it entirely, and got called out for it, and had then overplayed what they needed to do.

ParentsOf4

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Disney tried to do nothing, including avoiding the meaningless piece of paper. That caused a HUGE amount of outrage from a lot of cast members (many of whom are LGBTQ or know someone who is). As there were discussions of a walkout by the cast members, Chapek reversed his decision, and then took it well past denouncing the legislation to try to appease the cast members. This included eliminating contributions to all politicians in Florida. Without their money flowing into their election funds, the state legislature decided to attack and make an example out of Disney for all its "Wokeness" (I have thoughts on that word, but I'll leave that for another time). I'm pretty sure that's how we got here. Disney wasn't trying to make change, they were trying to stay out of it entirely, and got called out for it, and had then overplayed what they needed to do.
This was covered in an extensive story (“How Disney Lost Florida”) published in June 2022 by the Financial Times.

It’s behind a paywall, but here’s a link to it for reference:

Some highlights from the Financial Times article:
  • Early on, Disney had an opportunity to sign a letter protesting the Parental Rights in Education Act. Several companies such as Apple and Amazon had signed this letter.
  • Now fired Disney head of corporate affairs Geoff Morrell advised Disney CEO Bob Chapek not to sign.
  • Instead, Morrell recommended working through Disney's "formidable team of 38 lobbyists in Florida" to "soften" the bill.
  • In the past, Disney had been used to getting its way with Florida legislators but this time they were "surprise[d] to see that Disney’s efforts to water down the bill were not working."
  • Former CEO Bob Iger made matters worse by retweeting President Biden, who called the bill "hateful".
  • As a result of Disney's lack of public action, the considerable goodwill Disney had with its LGBTQ+ employees was damaged.
  • Chapek went on a “listening tour” to various company locations to try to repair that damage.
  • DeSantis used Disney's belated public statements to attack the "woke" Disney. DeSantis said, Disney is “going to criticize the fact that we don’t want transgenderism in kindergarten and first grade classrooms . . . that’s the hill they’re going to die on?”
  • The $100K Disney donated to DeSantis is chump-change compared to the $50M he has collected elsewhere. In other words, Disney has no bargaining leverage with DeSantis at the moment.
  • "Chapek has been in course-correction mode ever since."
  • Chapek fired Disney's head of tv Peter Rice to strengthen Chapek's position within Disney. (Rice is popular and was viewed as a possible replacement to Chapek.)
  • The Board strengthened Chapek's position further by backing Chapek in this firing.
  • GSU Professor Anthony Kreis, who specializes in civil rights and politics, is quoted as saying, “The issues around Disney are going to get litigated ad nauseam" during the campaign, ... "There’s no winning strategy here for them.”
  • A former Disney executive is quoted as saying, “In a short period of time they managed to p*** off both the left and the right.”

LSLS

This was covered in an extensive story (“How Disney Lost Florida”) published in June 2022 by the Financial Times.

It’s behind a paywall, but here’s a link to it for reference:

Some highlights from the Financial Times article:
  • Early on, Disney had an opportunity to sign a letter protesting the Parental Rights in Education Act. Several companies such as Apple and Amazon had signed this letter.
  • Now fired Disney head of corporate affairs Geoff Morrell advised Disney CEO Bob Chapek not to sign.
  • Instead, Morrell recommended working through Disney's "formidable team of 38 lobbyists in Florida" to "soften" the bill.
  • In the past, Disney had been used to getting its way with Florida legislators but this time they were "surprise[d] to see that Disney’s efforts to water down the bill were not working."
  • Former CEO Bob Iger made matters worse by retweeting President Biden, who called the bill "hateful".
  • As a result of Disney's lack of public action, the considerable goodwill Disney had with its LGBTQ+ employees was damaged.
  • Chapek went on a “listening tour” to various company locations to try to repair that damage.
  • DeSantis used Disney's belated public statements to attack the "woke" Disney. DeSantis said, Disney is “going to criticize the fact that we don’t want transgenderism in kindergarten and first grade classrooms . . . that’s the hill they’re going to die on?”
  • The $100K Disney donated to DeSantis is chump-change compared to the $50M he has collected elsewhere. In other words, Disney has no bargaining leverage with DeSantis at the moment.
  • "Chapek has been in course-correction mode ever since."
  • Chapek fired Disney's head of tv Peter Rice to strengthen Chapek's position within Disney. (Rice is popular and was viewed as a possible replacement to Chapek.)
  • The Board strengthened Chapek's position further by backing Chapek in this firing.
  • GSU Professor Anthony Kreis, who specializes in civil rights and politics, is quoted as saying, “The issues around Disney are going to get litigated ad nauseam" during the campaign, ... "There’s no winning strategy here for them.”
  • A former Disney executive is quoted as saying, “In a short period of time they managed to p*** off both the left and the right.”
My mistake, I forgot he came out at a meeting and said they were working behind the scenes instead and didn't want to say anything public, that came out after his letter to employees if I remember correctly. He did stop the political contributions in all of Florida which is when the legislature really came at Disney though (pretty sure that was correct. Desantis may have made a ton more with his war, but I'm not sure the other politicians would have).

Disstevefan1

Totally agree. A company taking a side (in this case TWDC) is what caused this RCID mess in the first place in my opinion.

As @GhostHost1000 just said, companies should focus on running their business.

Dranth

Totally agree. A company taking a side (in this case TWDC) is what caused this RCID mess in the first place in my opinion.

Maybe that would be better, but the reality is businesses have been speaking up since this country started and they have the right to do so. Even if it is just through which politicians they choose to support, they are making a statement.

What I would argue is that if a business does choose to speak up, it is their right, and they are aware of the fact they are going to lose some groups when they do it. They have made the calculation beforehand and decided it is still worth it. What is surprising in this case is the government stepping in to punish a company for speaking up.

Take away the states response and what really happened to Disney for speaking up? Some of the people that disagree with them no longer supporting the company? Good, that is EXACTLY the way it should work and why this whole situation is so gross.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

They are focused on running their business. You people act like Disney stopped making movies, paused Disney+, ESPN and ABC and closed their theme parks while they stopped to take make a political statement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom