News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
have you seen the listings for splash mountain water..
Saw those earlier when looking for something else Splash on ebay.....yesterday I think I noticed one auction with a quart size jar that started at $5000 and had 4 bids at $7100 and not over......what the ding.:rolleyes: I did buy a few actual disney parks things long ago when they announced it would close......;).

gerarar

Premium Member
Various props are being cataloged and tagged (for removal?):
splash-mountain-props-tagged-removal-5-1068x712.jpg

splash-mountain-props-tagged-removal-6-1068x712.jpg

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I sure hope many things can be repurposed in the ride, so that in addition to hidden mickeys, we can recognize hidden splash mountain pieces, I especially hope they keep the hidden mickey fishing bobber...... if just one wee thing....🥰 Thanks for sharing those images. :happy:

1674947651744.png
1675016729883.png

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I sure hope many things can be repurposed in the ride, so that in addition to hidden mickeys, we can recognize hidden splash mountain pieces, I especially hope they keep the hidden mickey fishing bobber...... 🥰 Thanks for sharing those images.

View attachment 695400
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for anything recognizable to be held over - one of their main goals here really is to do away with most meaningful traces of Splash Mountain as we know it.

SNS

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for anything recognizable to be held over - one of their main goals here really is to do away with most meaningful traces of Splash Mountain as we know it.

And likely also to lower maintence cost as others have said in these topics. So that's why I'm not getting my hopes up that even the American Sings characters would be kept. This new ride would likely be more about screens rather then sets, props, and animatronics.

MerlinTheGoat

What rides that have been replaced have kept anywhere close to the original number of AAs? What’s the average number of AAs in new rides?
Maelstrom contained about a dozen of what i'd consider "true" animatronics. Special mention to the three headed troll however since it has a lot more motion than others. There's a lot of other figures with a bit of motion, but it's pretty much just one axis of motion (like the puffin heads turning or troll heads rising up out of the water).

Frozen actually slightly upped the amount. I counted 15. Though unfortunately, they're all the crappy face-projected variety, and Frozen isn't one of the few rides they look decent in (Tokyo's is getting physical faces thankfully, and i'm guessing probably a far better ride in general).

The scenery in particular suffered tremendously in the conversion. Maelstrom had a few areas that had lapses in scenery and were too empty or exposed the backstage areas (like the hallway and door transitioning into the three headed troll scene, which Frozen itself didn't fix either). But it was still a LOT better than Frozen's scenery. There were some exceptionally beautiful and detailed backgrounds in several of the scenes. The viking village and beach especially, and the area with the three headed troll. The track switch scene right before the final drop was also extremely lovely in comparison to Frozen's plain snow.

maelstrom-viking-ship-epcot-M.jpg

RSoxNo1

Maelstrom contained about a dozen of what i'd consider "true" animatronics. Special mention to the three headed troll however since it has a lot more motion than others. There's a lot of other figures with a bit of motion, but it's pretty much just one axis of motion (like the puffin heads turning or troll heads rising up out of the water).

Frozen actually slightly upped the amount. I counted 15. Though unfortunately, they're all the crappy face-projected variety, and Frozen isn't one of the few rides they look decent in (Tokyo's is getting physical faces thankfully, and i'm guessing probably a far better ride in general).

The scenery in particular suffered tremendously in the conversion. Maelstrom had a few areas that had lapses in scenery and were too empty or exposed the backstage areas (like the hallway and door transitioning into the three headed troll scene, which Frozen itself didn't fix either). But it was still a LOT better than Frozen's scenery. There were some exceptionally beautiful and detailed backgrounds in several of the scenes. The viking village and beach especially, and the area with the three headed troll. The track switch scene right before the final drop was also extremely lovely in comparison to Frozen's plain snow.

maelstrom-viking-ship-epcot-M.jpg
I'm typically with you on the projected faces and agree that they don't look good on the human characters in Frozen. They do however look great on the trolls.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm typically with you on the projected faces and agree that they don't look good on the human characters in Frozen. They do however look great on the trolls.
They look okay for the trolls, the humans were largely what I was referring to. Though I also find the eye projections for Olaf and Sven to look off as well (thankfully the rest of their heads are physical).

I expect face projection to be even more inappropriate and awkward looking for the human figures in Tiana for other reasons I won't go into. I expect the animals at least to be mostly if not entirely mechanical (there are at least a couple new ones that are 100% physical). I very much hope the human figures are also 100% mechanical and have robotic faces.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

They look okay for the trolls, the humans were largely what I was referring to. Though I also find the eye projections for Olaf and Sven to look off as well (thankfully the rest of their heads are physical).

I expect face projection to be even more inappropriate and awkward looking for the human figures in Tiana for other reasons I won't go into. I expect the animals at least to be mostly if not entirely mechanical (there are at least a couple new ones that are 100% physical). I very much hope the human figures are also 100% mechanical and have robotic faces.
I believe it was either confirmed/highly rumored that Tiana as well as everyone will be mechanical/robotic faces. I believe it’s assumed they will use the tech of the Beauty and the Beast animatronics from Tokyo Disney

Ghost93

I'm one of the few who doesn't want any of the American Sings animatronics reused. Those animatronics are about 50 years old at this point and need to be put to rest. Also, I want Tiana's Bayou Adventure to feel like a completely new attraction. I don't want to be constantly reminded of the OG Splash Mountain with references to it sprinkled throughout. That would just make me miss it. I want an almost total fresh start other than the ride layout.

MerlinTheGoat

I believe it was either confirmed/highly rumored that Tiana as well as everyone will be mechanical/robotic faces. I believe it’s assumed they will use the tech of the Beauty and the Beast animatronics from Tokyo Disney
It hasn't been confirmed and we're still waiting to see. The only reason fans jumped to that conclusion is based on prior art of Tiana holding a lantern. That caused some people to assume that she would be a reskinned version of the Belle figures from Tokyo. I'd like for this to be the case (a lantern would also cause even more problems with a face projection if it emits a significant amount of light that illuminates the figure). But it's not what I would call concrete proof or even rumor.

patf-attraction-rendering-2021.jpg

anigif_sub-buzz-3769-1544226544-2.gif

There's also a physical face animatronic of Barbossa in Paris' version POTC that holds a lantern.

I'm one of the few who doesn't want any of the American Sings animatronics reused. Those animatronics are about 50 years old at this point and need to be put to rest. Also, I want Tiana's Bayou Adventure to feel like a completely new attraction. I don't want to be constantly reminded of the OG Splash Mountain with references to it sprinkled throughout. That would just make me miss it. I want an almost total fresh start other than the ride layout.
I strongly disagree. And unfortunately, it's probably the only way to ensure there's not a mass reduction of the amount of AA's in the ride. I would also vastly prefer that they be repaired, upgraded and reused again than to see them thrown in a landfill or sit in a dusty storage unit for decades to slowly rot away.

Disney Glimpses

I'm one of the few who doesn't want any of the American Sings animatronics reused. Those animatronics are about 50 years old at this point and need to be put to rest.
Not sure I understand this take. Splash Mountain isn't being re-themed because it is aging and reaching end of life. If not for the controversial ties to Song of the South, those AAs would be maintained for another 50 years; just as the ones in POTC will be. AAs aren't living, breathing beings; they can be properly restored to like new condition and brought completely back to life. I personally think this is the route they will take.

Ghost93

Not sure I understand this take. Splash Mountain isn't being re-themed because it is aging and reaching end of life. If not for the controversial ties to Song of the South, those AAs would be maintained for another 50 years; just as the ones in POTC will be. AAs aren't living, breathing beings; they can be properly restored to like new condition and brought completely back to life. I personally think this is the route they will take.
I personally think the vast majority of the American Sings animatronics — which are rather anthropomorphic — don't fit the aesthetic and world of the Princess and the Frog. Maybe they can reuse the frog (not Brer Frog, the small one) and the raccoon. But the geese and gators and fox-like creatures need to go.

I also don't get this weird obsession with the NEED to keep the American sings animatronics. I was born in the 90s and have no nostalgia for America Sings show. We have plenty of archival footage of the show and the animatronics on YouTube. We don't need to shoehorn them into a Princess and the Frog attraction where they don't belong.

Disney Glimpses

I personally think the vast majority of the American Sings animatronics — which are rather anthropomorphic — don't fit the aesthetic and world of the Princess and the Frog. Maybe they can reuse the frog (not Brer Frog, the small one) and the raccoon. But the geese and gators and fox-like creatures need to go.

I also don't get this weird obsession with the NEED to keep the American sings animatronics. I was born in the 90s and have no nostalgia for America Sings show. We have plenty of archival footage of the show and the animatronics on YouTube. We don't need to shoehorn them into a Princess and the Frog attraction where they don't belong.
This is a completely different argument. And it’s not a “weird obsession.” It’s likely the only way we are able to maintain a reasonable AA count in this attraction; it’s either these or nothing. They aren’t going to replace them all 1:1.

Ghost93

This is a completely different argument. And it’s not a “weird obsession.” It’s likely the only way we are able to maintain a reasonable AA count in this attraction; it’s either these or nothing. They aren’t going to replace them all 1:1.
In regard to the age of animatronics, my earlier point was that we have much more advanced technology nowadays, and I'd like to see money invested in newer, more complex state-of-the-art attractions. I know it's expensive, but I believe it would be worth the investment. It may not happen since Disney likes to be cheap, but I would prefer them to spend a fortune to ensure that Tiana's Bayou Adventure is a modern classic instead of doing the bare minimum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom