Rumor Disney 100: Great Moments with Uncle Walt to Replace Mr. Lincoln

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
As part of the Disney 100 Celebration, WDI has been working on a temporary overlay of the Opera House where Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln would be replaced with a new take on The Walt Disney Story. However, this time, it would feature a Walt Disney animatronic speaking to the audience. I first heard about this project back in October/November and I’ve recently heard that the project is still moving forward.

Great Moments with Uncle Walt indeed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As part of the Disney 100 Celebration, WDI has been working on a temporary overlay of the Opera House where Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln would be replaced with a new take on The Walt Disney Story. However, this time, it would feature a Walt Disney animatronic speaking to the audience. I first heard about this project back in October/November and I’ve recently heard that the project is still moving forward.

So it will be ready by 103?

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
Uh...I don't want to be the "What Walt Would Have Wanted" guy, but...
It’s trashy.

A new Walt Disney Story makes sense for the anniversary and WDI has wanted to do a new one for a while, Carthay Circle at DCA was supposed to house one before it became a restaurant. (Left half of the wall)

1673711918369.png

Disstevefan1

Somebody please fact check me but I think Walt NEVER wanted an animatronic of himself ever in any Disney park.

Having said that, it seems TWDC of today does not care what Walt thought or wanted.

While we are talking rumors, another rumor is they want to change the name Walt Disney World to Disney World, even though his brother specifically named the resort Walt Disney World as a tribute to Walt.

As for the OP, It would great to have no animatronic and show a film about Walt during the 100th celebration.

VJ

i wonder if this is what @GiveMeTheMusic was alluding to as far as changes during the lincoln refurb...

mlayton144

i wonder if this is what @GiveMeTheMusic was alluding to as far as changes during the lincoln refurb...

It’s weird - part of me would be enthralled by a quality Walt Disney animatronic- would they lift audio from a real voice cut or have some voice actor (presume the former)

I don’t like taking Lincoln away even a little bit - plus the fact that Walt never wanted it in the first place makes this a dicey proposition. But in the world of modern Disney management we now live with where their own history means almost nothing - I wouldn’t doubt it moves forward

BasiltheBatLord

Someone on the WDW subforum was claiming that they have inside knowledge that there is a minority of the company's executive management who have been pushing to completely disassociate the company with Walt's image gradually over a long period of time. Seems like if this is real then that path is definitely not being taken.

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
Someone on the WDW subforum was claiming that they have inside knowledge that there is a minority of the company's executive management who have been pushing to completely disassociate the company with Walt's image gradually over a long period of time. Seems like if this is real then that path is definitely not being taken.
Turning Walt into a character certainly falls within that trajectory.

Rich T

I don’t believe this rumor for a second. This would be the worst, most disrespectful and tone-deaf thing they could possibly do, and it would cement the growing public perception of the company as a tacky, tasteless, clueless, hypocritical monstrosity-factory that will do anything for a buck.

If this does, by some bizarro-dimension chance come to pass, I will pay my respects to Walt Disney by staying as far away from the tasteless abomination as possible.

I can just see the vloggers now, lining up to buy limited-edition commemorative popcorn buckets of Walt’s head.

Last edited:

180º

I don’t believe this rumor for a second. This would be the worst, most disrespectful and tone-deaf thing they could possibly do, and it would cement the growing public perception of the company as a tacky, tasteless, clueless, hypocritical monstrosity-factory that will do anything for a buck.

If this does, by some bizarro-dimension chance come to pass, I will pay my respects to Walt Disney by staying as far away from the tasteless abomination as possible.

I can just see the vloggers now, lining up to buy limited-edition commemorative popcorn buckets of Walt’s head.
I mean I guess, but then what does that say about Abraham Lincoln? 😂

Great Moments With Walt Disney is one of the classier things they could do, and it’s certainly no popcorn bucket.

Rich T

I mean I guess, but then what does that say about Abraham Lincoln? 😂

Great Moments With Walt Disney is one of the classier things they could do, and it’s certainly no popcorn bucket.
Time and circumstance make all the difference.

Let’s set aside the argument that not everyone thinks an AA of Abe Lincoln is/was a tasteful idea, no matter how well-intentioned. It has never been universally loved, and is as creepy as it is respectful. Weird things are part of DL’s identity, after all.

Imagine if Apple built a talking AA of Steve Jobs or Sony built a Michael Jackson AA, and both were used as part of a self-promotional anniversary event, for which consumers were charged an arm and a leg to enter the grounds to view them.

It would come across as crass, tasteless and greedy. It would be widely mocked, satirized and ridiculed.

And, given the a certain company’s recent AA upkeep track record, I shudder to think of thousands of malfunction videos circulating on social media.

We have no shortage of great footage of Walt Disney. There are (and have been) plenty of creative ways to pay tribute to his achievements. A robotic sideshow to get more consumers to pay money to get into the greedy, increasingly-geared-toward-the-wealthy warped version of the park he created is not, in my opinion, a great way to honor his memory.

But, eh, what do I know.

mlayton144

Time and circumstance make all the difference.

Let’s set aside the argument that not everyone thinks an AA of Abe Lincoln is/was a tasteful idea, no matter how well-intentioned. It has never been universally loved, and is as creepy as it is respectful. Weird things are part of DL’s identity, after all.

Imagine if Apple built a talking AA of Steve Jobs or Sony built a Michael Jackson AA, and both were used as part of a self-promotional anniversary event, for which consumers were charged an arm and a leg to enter the grounds to view them.

It would come across as crass, tasteless and greedy. It would be widely mocked, satirized and ridiculed.

And, given the a certain company’s recent AA upkeep track record, I shudder to think of thousands of malfunction videos circulating on social media.

We have no shortage of great footage of Walt Disney. There are (and have been) plenty of creative ways to pay tribute to his achievements. A robotic sideshow to get more consumers to pay money to get into the greedy, increasingly-geared-toward-the-wealthy warped version of the park he created is not, in my opinion, a great way to honor his memory.

But, eh, what do I know.

Not bad points - but I think there is more than a few us that loves the creepiness of AAs , it’s part of the appeal , but doing with Walt Disney may be crossing a line (still on fence)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom