Rumor Disney 100: Great Moments with Uncle Walt to Replace Mr. Lincoln

Disney Irish

Premium Member
For reference, the somewhat substantial transformation from Snow White's Scary Adventures to Snow White's Enchanted Wish cost merely several hundred thousand dollars.

You'd have to be embezzling to spend $5 Million on Lincoln and end up with something that passes for a normal refurb.
I clarified what I meant in a follow-up post. I understand its an extensive refurb to add additional show to Lincoln. What I mean was its a "normal" refurb to Lincoln and not an attempt by Disney to wipe all traces of Lincoln from Disneyland as a poster had ranted about in a different thread (which the mods deleted), the OC article was confirmation that wasn't happening. That is all I was saying, I edited my original post so it more clear.

MK-fan

It will be the 60th anniversary of the show at Disneyland if they open it next summer. Kind of a bummer that Disney is not doing much for DL’s 70th. Maybe just a revised Lincoln show and return of Paint the Night (hopefully).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It will be the 60th anniversary of the show at Disneyland if they open it next summer. Kind of a bummer that Disney is not doing much for DL’s 70th. Maybe just a revised Lincoln show and return of Paint the Night (hopefully).
Hopefully at D23 they announce more stuff for the 70th.

mickEblu

For reference, the somewhat substantial transformation from Snow White's Scary Adventures to Snow White's Enchanted Wish cost merely several hundred thousand dollars.

You'd have to be embezzling to spend $5 Million on Lincoln and end up with something that passes for a normal refurb.

This seems hard to believe when you see the permits and how much some of the other things they do around the resort costs.

mickEblu

I never take the permit value on its face, its the estimated value not the true cost.

Lets say that's true then that means they re spending more on everything, not just Snow White. Go look at the permits and see what they spend a few hundred grand on. Not saying its not true but its hard to believe that's all they spent

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Lets say that's true then that means they re spending more on everything, not just Snow White. Go look at the permits and see what they spend a few hundred grand on. Not saying its not true but its hard to believe that's all they spent
I would say the opposite, so if they say its $5M valuation its probably closer to $2-3M in actual costs.

mickEblu

I would say the opposite, so if they say its $5M valuation its probably closer to $2-3M in actual costs.

oh I thought you were trying to say the opposite. Either way it doesn't make sense when you compare costs to some of the other little projects they do around the resort

Disney Irish

Premium Member
oh I thought you were trying to say the opposite. Either way it doesn't make sense when you compare costs to some of the other little projects they do around the resort
Well the valuation, as I understand it anyways, is the total cost of the project which may not be the actual cost of the work for the permit itself.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Paying a writer to come up with a backstory is a project cost but it doesn’t make a building more valuable.
So that I may understand correctly, please provide information on what exactly the permit valuation covers. As I understand it that the valuation is more often than not to be more than cost of the work being done.

lazyboy97o

So that I may understand correctly, please provide information on what exactly the permit valuation covers. As I understand it that the valuation is more often than not to be more than cost of the work being done.
From the California Building Standards Code:

109.3 Building permit valuations.
The applicant for a permit shall provide an estimated permit value at time of application. Permit valuations shall include total value of work, including materials and labor, for which the permit is being issued, such as electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing equipment and permanent systems. If, in the opinion of the building official, the valuation is underestimated on the application, the permit shall be denied, unless the applicant can show detailed estimates to meet the approval of the building official. Final building permit valuation shall be set by the building official.

It’s not a real estate appraisal. It doesn’t include design fees or even necessarily the contractor’s overhead. A halfway decent contractor is going to know their costs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
From the California Building Standards Code:

109.3 Building permit valuations.
The applicant for a permit shall provide an estimated permit value at time of application. Permit valuations shall include total value of work, including materials and labor, for which the permit is being issued, such as electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing equipment and permanent systems. If, in the opinion of the building official, the valuation is underestimated on the application, the permit shall be denied, unless the applicant can show detailed estimates to meet the approval of the building official. Final building permit valuation shall be set by the building official.

It’s not a real estate appraisal. It doesn’t include design fees or even necessarily the contractor’s overhead. A halfway decent contractor is going to know their costs.
Thank you, I can read the building code docs too.

I've had actual CA real estate license at one time in the recent past and reviewed actual appraisals for loans. I never worked the commercial side of things, but in the residential side the appraisal is not typically covering the design fees and contractor related stuff. Even in a full appraisal where the build cost is calculated it never covers design fees or other contractor related stuff, its pure valuation of the build, ie materials and such.

Permit valuations on the residential side are often overvalued and not the true cost of the work. So maybe things are different on the commercial side and the permit valuation is the actual value of the work. But to me the values of the permits we've seen over the years don't match up with the actual work being performed. They all mostly appear to be overvalued, something I've seen similar comments on in the past by various posters.

Anyways its an interesting topic, one I'm sure we'll never get a true answer on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom