Rumor Disney 100: Great Moments with Uncle Walt to Replace Mr. Lincoln

Rich T

Not bad points - but I think there is more than a few us that loves the creepiness of AAs , it’s part of the appeal , but doing with Walt Disney may be crossing a line (still on fence)
I love the creepiness of AAs myself— which is why I don’t think a Walt Disney AA is within a hundred miles of Good Idea Land.

Another point I forgot to mention: I’m not a huge fan of Bob Iger, but I do think he has fairly good taste and a pretty solid overview of what is and isn’t appropriate. I cannot imagine him okaying this idea.

180º

Not bad points - but I think there is more than a few us that loves the creepiness of AAs , it’s part of the appeal , but doing with Walt Disney may be crossing a line (still on fence)
Ditto.

I believe Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln was a sincere tribute. I don’t believe there is any such sincerity in those who would approve a similar show dedicated to Walt Disney.
Completely agree. Although, I don’t believe there was any such sincerity when making One Man’s Dream, either—Eisner cameo and all.

EPCOTCenterLover

I have some historical context for this Audio-Animatronic happening. No image but I do have audio directly from an Imagineer who was working on it at one time. I couldn't upload the MP3, but I will post the story about it and a transcription tomorrow on my blog. (I'm working on it now.) InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com No April Fool's joke I assure you.

SuddenStorm

The Partner's Statue, and the footage of Walt in the preshow for Lincoln is plenty. This would be tacky, distasteful, and not at all a good way to honor Walt's legacy.

I am also a firm believer that the only park there should be a statue of Walt in is Disneyland- as it was the only park he actually developed. That there's a Walt Statue in DCA is ridiculous, regardless of whatever ham fisted backstory they came up with to justify it.

I have a tough time believing the company that made this could develop a show that honors Walt and his legacy properly-

1673933280224.png

TP2000

This concept is a joke. If it even happens, it will still be a joke.

A bunch of AP'ers will show up the first 30 days to gush over how "AMAAAZING!" it is for their blogs, then remind us to Like! and Subscribe!. But the vast majority of Disneyland's paying visitors will walk right by without bothering with the talking robot speech show.

@Consumer is right. This concept was brilliant and fabulous as the Illinois Pavilion at the 1964-65 World's Fair. It was a sincere and noble effort by Walt and his Company circa 1965 to duplicate the show and open it at Disneyland during the second year of its run at the Fair in '65. But ever since then, it's become less and less marketable. (The show opened at Disneyland in July '65 with a duplicate robot at the same time the original robot was still at work in New York for World's Fair audiences. The first robot was brought home to California in late '65 for spare parts.)

But to replace this robot speech show with another robot speech show, which will play to equally empty theaters a month after it opens, seems silly and wasteful. They'd be better off spending the money on rehabbing a few rides and remodeling a few CM break rooms instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But the vast majority of Disneyland's paying visitors will walk right by without bothering with the talking robot speech show.

So basically nothing different than now.

I'm not saying I'm for or against this change if it happens. But if the reality is that it doesn't move the needle in terms of more attendance for the show, then nothing really changes in the overall scheme of things.

Plus reading this I wouldn't be surprised if it was to be temporary just for the 100th celebration, that is if it actually happens. And then return to the normal Lincoln show after, maybe even updated.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Exactly. Why even bother with this? Just keep it as the Mr. Lincoln show, if it were up to me. I'm not surprised change is afoot to replace him with another robot speech show that no one will go see after its first 30 days.
First, as has been stated a couple times, we don't even know if this is actually going to happen.
Second, even if it does we don't know if its permanent or just temporary for the 100th celebration.
Third, you can make claims all you want, but you don't know for a fact that this is actually being done for some agenda to scrub Lincoln from Disney.

And lastly for a company that was supposedly trying to scrub Walt from everything this is sure a funny way to do it. I mean popcorn buckets with Walt's likeness on it, and a rumored AAs shows, that really doesn't seem like a company trying to remove Walt.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t believe this rumor for a second. This would be the worst, most disrespectful and tone-deaf thing they could possibly do, and it would cement the growing public perception of the company as a tacky, tasteless, clueless, hypocritical monstrosity-factory that will do anything for a buck.

If this does, by some bizarro-dimension chance come to pass, I will pay my respects to Walt Disney by staying as far away from the tasteless abomination as possible.

I can just see the vloggers now, lining up to buy limited-edition commemorative popcorn buckets of Walt’s head.

Ok, take away for a moment the fact Walt didn't want himself as an AA... does that change any of your vitrol here?

Having your founder talk about the company... during a celebration of the company... is tacky and clueless?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom