News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

lazyboy97o

And? It's possible to have smaller venues that can pump out food faster. Dining room capacity doesn't necessarily equate to food production capacity. You're also ignoring that the park may have overall increased capability by adding more snack carts and smaller options which have higher demand than a QSR.

Just like the false assumption you make with attractions, not all dining capacity is the same. You could build a place that can make 3000 burgers an hour, but if people don't want burgers... then what?
Turnover is how you get the difference in capacity for the same square footage. I explained that. A table service doesn’t pump out more food than a quick service no matter how much you want it to be true.

DisneyHead123

Just thought I’d point something out I pointed out in another thread… you guys notice how Iger treats Mickey Mouse? Anyone watch that new documentary? Ya know, the one that paints Iger as the “savior” once again.. conveniently leaving out HUGE parts of Mickey’s history to benefit a BS narrative of him becoming a “soulless mascot” thanks to prior management. Despite the fact that ‘he’ is the guy that contributed to that shortly after he became CEO. Preschooler fodder Mickey Mouse Clubhouse strictly pushed for a decade or more since ‘06 (also conveniently left out I should mention..) while great past efforts that appealed to all ages, that had humor & personality like Mickey Mouse Works / House of Mouse and ‘most’ (not all, but most) of the 90s/early early 2000s-pre Iger (works conveniently spearheaded & closely involved with Roy Disney Jr. I should mention) have been ‘intentionally’ buried and refuse to have a proper release on Disney Plus due to this aswell. Then they greenlight/push a Mickey that feels more like a gross, mean spirited parody of past works headed by a guy that seemingly loathes & mocks the character masquerading as a “return to roots” while sabotaging/abandoning everything else made prior that felt genuine with real heart, humor, and personality that appealed to all. Epic Mickey/more shorts like Mickey in Get a Horse, etc included.. ohh yeah. That is ‘not’ a coincidence ladies & gentleman. It all started with a Mouse.. and the Mouse prominently displays this problem for all to see under both Iger & Chapek.
I’ve had at least one older relative (in their 70s) comment that they find the new Mickey shorts bizarre and off putting. I’m in my 40s and kinda like them - maybe because I grew up with Animaniacs and Looney Tunes. My toddler son will also watch them - he doesn’t yet have the attention span or the language to engage with a full length Disney movie or even some of the more narrative-based Disney Junior cartoons, so in that sense I appreciate having Mickey’s Clubhouse and the fast paced, slapstick, visually based Rudish cartoons to introduce him to the characters. (Also, looking at the content on YouTube Kids, a lot of it seems to be in this style. Maybe because visually based stories can be enjoyed no matter what language you speak so it makes for a bigger YouTube audience.)

At any rate, I don’t think it’s about them mocking Mickey so much as apparently deciding at some point that Mickey content would be aimed more at young kids while other content, like their full length movies, would have adults as at least part of the target audience.

el_super

Turnover is how you get the difference in capacity for the same square footage. I explained that. A table service doesn’t pump out more food than a quick service no matter how much you want it to be true.

So what is the overall park dining capacity and utilization? Today versus 1994?

Inspired Figment

I’ve had at least one older relative (in their 70s) comment that they find the new Mickey shorts bizarre and off putting. I’m in my 40s and kinda like them - maybe because I grew up with Animaniacs and Looney Tunes. My toddler son will also watch them - he doesn’t yet have the attention span or the language to engage with a full length Disney movie or even some of the more narrative-based Disney Junior cartoons, so in that sense I appreciate having Mickey’s Clubhouse and the fast paced, slapstick, visually based Rudish cartoons to introduce him to the characters. (Also, looking at the content on YouTube Kids, a lot of it seems to be in this style. Maybe because visually based stories can be enjoyed no matter what language you speak so it makes for a bigger YouTube audience.)

At any rate, I don’t think it’s about them mocking Mickey so much as apparently deciding at some point that Mickey content would be aimed more at young kids while other content, like their full length movies, would have adults as at least part of the target audience.
I too grew up with Looney Tunes & Animaniacs. And I can promise you, Mickey Mouse Works / House of Mouse is definitley more in that style plus something that’s appealing to all ages and upgrades the humor while making sure not to dumb down or be downright mocking towards the characters. The new shorts are more like Ren & Stimpy, while Clubhouse is more in the style of Barney or Dora. Iger has intentionally hid the existence of the 90s/early 2000s era from you to make you believe it could never happen nor ever existed. It’s neither on Disney Plus nor featured in the new Mickey doc. Despite it being a BIG part of Mickey’s history & one that arguably was executed the most tastefully in regards to going back to his roots but modernizing it. Not only his big television animation debut and the first to be produced in HD (go figure) but also it was headed by Roy Disney Jr. intentionally made with all ages in mind.:

Last edited:

_caleb

Ask yourself this question, who’s the one who set this whole sarcastic/cynical tone to begin with?? The higher ups that intentionally jab at the good qualities of their works that don’t specifically benefit them & them alone… that’s who. They’re the ones setting the standard, not everyone else, despite what they want you to think.
I don't think Disney Execs set the tone as an intentional dig at Mickey's/Disney's legacy. I think they probably did a bunch of market research and then entertained pitches from creatives who sold them on this tone.

Inspired Figment

I don't think Disney Execs set the tone as an intentional dig at Mickey's/Disney's legacy. I think they probably did a bunch of market research and then entertained pitches from creatives who sold them on this tone.
And they greenlit the pitch… which makes it all the more their fault. They should take more chances on more tasteful proposals, market it properly and see what happens.

Inspired Figment

And again.. there ‘were’ other attempts within the company that they simply abandoned & gave up on rather than marketing & pushing properly. That’s completely on Iger. He didn’t want to support the other proposals for no good reason.

_caleb

And they greenlit the pitch… which makes it all the more their fault. They should take more chances on more tasteful proposals, market it properly and see what happens.
But don't all the versions of Mickey exist simultaneously? Seems like Parks Mickey is the more traditional one (MMRR notwithstanding).

Inspired Figment

But don't all the versions of Mickey exist simultaneously? Seems like Parks Mickey is the more traditional one (MMRR notwithstanding).
Sadly no.. seems to be either Clubhouse (preschool) Mickey w no substance humor or personality or the Ren & Stimpy Mickey (now seen in Runaway Railway) that feels like a gross, mean spirited parody of the classic Ub & Walt version. The Mickey in between that was continued on tastefully & appealed to everybody no longer exists and isn’t supported anywhere except for vague imagery like in merchandise and it’s been that way since ‘06.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

There were Epic Mickey & Mickey in Get a Horse!.. that continued classic Walt & Ub Mickey tastefully to success but do you see those continue to be supported anymore, if not, ever? No. Despite the game’s HUGE popularity & Oswald’s inclusion/push stemming from that.

Magic Crush Drop

Sadly no.. seems to be either Clubhouse (preschool) Mickey w no substance humor or personality or the Ren & Stimpy Mickey (now seen in Runaway Railway) that feels like a gross, mean spirited parody of the classic Ub & Walt version. The Mickey in between that was continued on tastefully & appealed to everybody no longer exists and isn’t supported anywhere except for vague imagery like in merchandise and it’s been that way since ‘06.
Can you just accept that maybe the new mickey shorts aren't for you and that there's no Iger conspiracy against Roy? Gosh this is why Disney Adults get a bad rap. Not everything is made for you! Support the work that you like and ignore work you don't. Simple.

DisneyHead123

I too grew up with Looney Tunes & Animaniacs. And I can promise you, Mickey Mouse Works / House of Mouse is definitley more in that style plus something that’s appealing to all ages and upgrades the humor while making sure not to dumb down or be downright mocking towards the characters. The new shorts are more like Ren & Stimpy, while Clubhouse is more in the style of Barney or Dora. Iger has intentionally hid the existence of the 90s/early 2000s era from you to make you believe it could never happen nor ever existed. It’s neither on Disney Plus nor featured in the new Mickey doc. Despite it being a BIG part of Mickey’s history & one that arguably was executed the most tastefully in regards to going back to his roots but modernizing it. Not only his big television animation debut and the first to be produced in HD (go figure) but also it was headed by Roy Disney Jr. intentionally made with all ages in mind.:

I’m not convinced that it’s hidden so much as they just didn’t think those cartoons had mass appeal in 2022. They might be wrong on that, of course, but I don’t know that there’s anything more to the story than that.

Inspired Figment

Can you just accept that maybe the new mickey shorts aren't for you and that there's no Iger conspiracy against Roy? Gosh this is why Disney Adults get a bad rap. Not everything is made for you! Support the work that you like and ignore work you don't. Simple.
No kidding they’re not for me.. what I don’t appreciate though is they tell us the work I like never existed and intentionally don’t make it available to view or purchase. ‘That’ is what makes me upset. I can accept I don’t like the new shorts nor Clubhouse. but the revisionist history of modern Mickey is Bull. At the very least, show all of it without a BS narrative that Mickey “became soulless” when the only guy who did that was Iger himself pushing the strictly Preschool aimed Clubhouse show as the only iteration of Mickey you could find for awhile besides the classic Ub/Walt era. To exclude not just all of 90s era Mick (that includes Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse) but Iger’s first project with the mouse, Clubhouse aswell from the documentary about the character’s entire history is ludicrious. Btw, if you don’t believe inner corporate politics/egos come at the effect of the end product.. boy, have I got news for you. These execs are truly something else..

The real “Disney Adults” here are the folks who support Disney no matter what and don’t question any of the decisions they make especially when you know what they’re doing is wrong and see the negative effect it has on both the company itself & the public. It ain’t pretty.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think we are getting off topic here but one comment I’ll make when talking about the new Mickey cartoon style is it reminds me of the old Ren and Stimpy cartoons where everything is overly exaggerated which makes it more comical at times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom