News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, I am just not blinded by memories of Uncle Mikey making sweet talk on The Wonderful World of Disney.

His primary usefulness was manifested in the live action studio, but overall he was a poor CEO.
Took a rinky studio and turned it into a multimedia conglomerate…

But I get he tends to be polarizing and opinions differ…

So who is good moving forward then? Assuming Frank wells is unavailable…

_caleb

Took a rinky studio and turned it into a multimedia conglomerate…

But I get he tends to be polarizing and opinions differ…

So who is good moving forward then? Assuming Frank wells is unavailable…
At the risk of repeating myself (or being obnoxious), I want to reiterate that WDI has some amazing creative people who ALSO understand the business side. I'd LOVE to have a creative person as CEO, and then all the numbers and finance folks around them could try to balance things out.

I'm also thinking the next CEO needs to really have a handle on technology.

Basil of Baker Street

That is what Disney is putting out? Wow cringe, no wonder there would be backlash to that drivel.
Best comment was from Nate
"I love advertisements disguised as articles. "
Ha. My favorite was:

"Ok dude, looks like you bought one ticket and hung out with friends, so yeah, I guess the $180 is not gonna break the bank. Report back when you bring a family of five and let us know if you feel the same."

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And you don’t like Josh either, right?

Also, he did have parks experience because he led the parks. You are unlikely to see jungle cruise captain become ceo. Leaders and executives are shifted around pretty consistently within a company so their knowledge and experience isn’t pigeon holed in one area.
Josh D'Ollar? Not a fan. ;) But to his credit, he has a better social game than many.

Leading the parks division means you have experience with it? That's rich. $lappie did not and does not have the slightest clue about the parks. Period. Someone who actually worked in the parks has parks experience. He had zero hours worked in the parks.

el_super

Leading the parks division means you have experience with it? That's rich. $lappie did not and does not have the slightest clue about the parks. Period.

LOL what? He led the parks division for five years right? Probably the most successful five years in their history. He oversaw the most investment in the parks ever as well.

What exact in-park knowledge do you think is actually important to have at that level? You think he needs to go through Ride Access Control training or spend a guest control shift moving strollers before he's qualified to run the division?

Smiley/OCD

Billionaire Sir Richard Branson got Disney execs Colglazier and Rohde to join him at Virgin Galactic. Who knows who may join the space ship company for the rich and famous.
Are you insinuating that Branson might recruit Chappy to join him at Virgin? If that’s the case, I would think Rhode would BEG Iger for his job back…

Smiley/OCD

LOL what? He led the parks division for five years right? Probably the most successful five years in their history. He oversaw the most investment in the parks ever as well.

What exact in-park knowledge do you think is actually important to have at that level? You think he needs to go through Ride Access Control training or spend a guest control shift moving strollers before he's qualified to run the division?
IDK, maybe put the crowd control masking tape down for the 3pm parade?? Lol

el_super

IDK, maybe put the crowd control masking tape down for the 3pm parade?? Lol

Yeah but if he did that he might come back saying things like... “You can only let so many people in a park before you start to impede on satisfaction level” and who really wants to hear that from the head of parks?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To your point, positive articles like this normally contained comments of support and agreement from like-minded fans.

But now?

I was at two Xmas parties this past week and I can assure you all, that article is a pack of lies.

7DMT a walk-on? It never went below 40 min.

Mentioning Space Mountain without its epileptic-inducing light show? You didn't go.

Naming everything that happens at a party night as if you could do it all? You didn't go.

Maybe... six years ago, it was as described. But not now. And since all the nights were sold out, we know the crowds were the same all the nights.

I really like the Christmas party. But, it's not an After Hours event. It's crowded (but not *too* crowded).

JoeCamel

I was at two Xmas parties this past week and I can assure you all, that article is a pack of lies.

7DMT a walk-on? It never went below 40 min.

Mentioning Space Mountain without its epileptic-inducing light show? You didn't go.

Naming everything that happens at a party night as if you could do it all? You didn't go.

Maybe... six years ago, it was as described. But not now. And since all the nights were sold out, we know the crowds were the same all the nights.

I really like the Christmas party. But, it's not an After Hours event. It's crowded (but not *too* crowded).
He stuck to the talking point true or not. He was pushing the low lines so selling a fast pass.
All sales pitch from this guy and was his ticket comped?

LittleBuford

To your point, positive articles like this normally contained comments of support and agreement from like-minded fans.

But now?

Unless I’m missing something, none of the comments relate to the issue you referred to. They’re complaining about the event’s cost.

Trauma

Unless I’m missing something, none of the comments relate to the issue you referred to. They’re complaining about the event’s cost.
The point I think, is the overall sentiment towards Disney is changing for a variety of reasons.

It’s not good when you can look at articles, YouTube videos, new sites etc, and see the majority of comments are negative for whatever the reason may be.

This didn’t use to be the case even a few short years ago.

Something has changed.

Does this matter ?

Well I guess that’s a discussion to be had.

AEfx

In terms of social media comments and that sort of thing, I don't think they're very instructive at a given point in time, but I think there's information contained in how they've changed over time. If you see a cesspool Facebook comments section, it's easy to say "ah, Facebook comments sections are cesspools." But if these particular Facebook comments sections have only become cesspools recently and were previously relatively positive, it's worth asking the question "why?"

That's just it - they are everywhere. They are not just on Facebook, but on reddit, and pretty much any "other" Disney sites, they are right here.

I find it very difficult to find many people singing the praises of the park experience and/or the cost/value that aren't somehow getting paid for it - either from freebies from Disney, or this new spate of social-media "experience planners" that get a chunk of what they get you to shell out for. They only people you really see saying anything positive are the true addicts who are still going multiple times a year/have DVC/etc. who are out of touch with what the typical family is looking for on a week's vacation they may take at most every few years.

It's undeniable that Disney is losing it's overall good will due to all the excessive planning, reduction in experience, and constantly rising costs. It's gone from "Yes, it's expensive, but they go so over the top it's worth it" to "I can't believe they charge so much for so little".

LittleBuford

The point I think is the overall sentiment towards Disney is changing for a variety of reasons.
Fair enough. I took it to be a continuation of the earlier (more specific) point, but following the sequence of posts, I see my mistake.

For what it’s worth, I agree there is more negative feeling towards Disney now than before. The main cause of this shift, however, appears to be issues of cost, value, and service. Even I can’t defend Disney on some of their more recent moves in these regards.

Laketravis

The point I think, is the overall sentiment towards Disney is changing for a variety of reasons.

It’s not good when you can look at articles, YouTube videos, new sites etc, and see the majority of comments are negative for whatever the reason may be.

This didn’t use to be the case even a few short years ago.

Something has changed.

Does this matter ?

Well I guess that’s a discussion to be had.

Exactly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom