News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

castlecake2.0

I always thought that they needed to combine the concept. Possibly with DVC, Resorts, and/or Meeting and Conventions, - in short a small slice of the Disney bubble.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about a Disney resort in every major city. Rather, think Gaylord. Maybe 6-8 large strategically placed properties catering to the beforementioned audience, and throw in some exclusive dining options, entertainment, and merchandising.

Would work for the Corporate Travel audience, would work for those that lived close enough for a weekend (or three day weekend) getaway, and would work for those that were local. And it would also bring additional depth to the DVC offerings.
I’d have to dig but I think something like this came close to being built in DC but then they sold off the land.

SilentWindODoom

They learned to build a good queue and they do spend on rockwork but as a whole it lacks what the rides that come before had. Its just an opinion but it does seem to have some traction

Rockwork, vegetation, interactivity (before a worldwide pandemic made touching things a bad idea). So many small touches. I suppose those are the things I would consider "heart". Some extra gravy. It's special. Something bright in a dark age.

Hey Bambi II was good though!

I'm partial to Mulan II myself.

lazyboy97o

I’d have to dig but I think something like this came close to being built in DC but then they sold off the land.
That was a DVC property like Aulani and the issues with that property killed the future of non-park related properties. Jay Rasulo did try to get Disney into Regional Entertainment Centers; a hotel, a World of Disney, maybe some attractions and entertainment. It was more a real estate development scheme (that being Rasulo’s thing) and died when he left Parks & Resorts.

BobPar

Totally agree with all of that, the store concept definitely needed some re imagining, and the sad part was it was getting so close to the right mix of merch again right before it closed. I don’t think every mall needs a Disney Store, but a a dozen or two flagships across the US and Canada could work. They could even sell Disney+ subscriptions at checkout ;)
There is no reason why like you said Disney stores in major US cities could not exist and make money. Maybe if each one had a DVC kiosk they may rethink the decision ;)

Tom P.

LOL! James Cameron just makes hits including Titanic, and Avatar. The stories were fantastic!!!
There are plenty of films in Hollywood that are "pretty" and don't sell like Cameron films. Thats because movies like Titanic and Avatar have great stories. I feel like your bias around this film runs deep within you.
Oh good grief. This forum is amazing sometimes. A person cannot dislike a movie without having an agenda now? Or is it possible that I might just have different tastes than you? I think Titanic and Avatar are both horrible, horrible films. And I have not the slightest desire to see any of Cameron's 27 planned Avatar sequels. Please tell me what agenda is driving that.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotofx

I just made the mistake of starting to watch The Santa Clauses on D+...

The originals had that Disney magic... Even with Tim Allen, this has no magic. If they think Santa lost his magic they should watch this.. No wonder D+ is having issues.

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

I'm aware of its message, but I never noticed any controversy around it. The criticisms I saw were all focused on the movie being a generic bore and the characters bland as hell. Those are my problems with the film, not its "political agenda".
I wasn't awed by the movie either, but I do recall the message being criticized at the time. I am sure it will happen again.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Oh good grief. This forum is amazing sometimes. A person cannot dislike a movie without having an agenda now? Or is it possible that I might just have different tastes than you? I think Titanic and Avatar are both horrible, horrible films. And I have not the slightest desire to see any of Cameron's 27 planned Avatar sequels. Please tell me what agenda is driving that.
And on the flipside, I'm a right-winger who loves Avatar for the sheer spectacle of the thing. I have PLF 3D tickets pre-ordered for A2.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I always thought that they needed to combine the concept. Possibly with DVC, Resorts, and/or Meeting and Conventions, - in short a small slice of the Disney bubble.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about a Disney resort in every major city. Rather, think Gaylord. Maybe 6-8 large strategically placed properties catering to the beforementioned audience, and throw in some exclusive dining options, entertainment, and merchandising.

Would work for the Corporate Travel audience, would work for those that lived close enough for a weekend (or three day weekend) getaway, and would work for those that were local. And it would also bring additional depth to the DVC offerings.
I think Galactic Starcruiser was meant to be a proof-of-concept for this sort of thing, wasn't it?

Vegas Disney Fan

I wasn't awed by the movie either, but I do recall the message being criticized at the time. I am sure it will happen again.
To me the message was good but I wasn’t a fan of how on the nose it was. Evil corporation who exploits the land and doesn’t care about anything stereotype, blockhead drill sergeant stereotype, blood thirsty mercenary stereotype, natives who love and protect the land stereotype… as if all people / jobs / corporations are 100% good or 100% evil, the real world doesn’t work that way but Michael Bay movies almost always do. He loves stereotypes and extremes, there’s no confusing who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy in his movies.

I enjoyed the movie but I think it would have been so much better if the characters were more complex and faced inner struggles (like the pilot and main character) rather than 99% simply being mindless generic stereotypes.

On the other hand sometime you just want to be entertained and his movies are always eye candy that rarely (if ever) require any thought, and he’s made billions on popcorn flicks, so it’s a winning formula.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
To me the message was good but I wasn’t a fan of how on the nose it was. Evil corporation who exploits the land and doesn’t care about anything stereotype, blockhead drill sergeant stereotype, blood thirsty mercenary stereotype, natives who love and protect the land stereotype… as if all people / jobs / corporations are 100% good or 100% evil, the real world doesn’t work that way but Michael Bay movies almost always do. He loves stereotypes and extremes, there’s no confusing who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy in his movies.

I enjoyed the movie but I think it would have been so much better if the character were more complex and faced inner struggles (like the pilot and main character) rather than 99% simply being mindless generic stereotypes.
I don't think they were stereotypes, I think they were archetypes. It was a myth.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't think they were stereotypes, I think they were archetypes. It was a myth.

Either way they’re generic characters.
778F03E5-464D-461E-84F3-4F523A3B5213.png

Lil Copter Cap

I think Galactic Starcruiser was meant to be a proof-of-concept for this sort of thing, wasn't it?
I know they're working on another offering with a third party vendor a la Galactic Starcruiser, but I hadn't thought about it being taken outside WDW property...interesting thought. Did you read this somewhere? 🧐

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You must know someone who has seen it... unless they live under a rock somewhere :). Seriously though, the *reissue* of it this year took in $30 million on a weekend - better than most new films. And, ironically, one of the biggest complaints thrown at the film is probably one of the reasons for its success - that it's a trope (white man saves savages). It doesn't require lengthy translations or understanding - everyone, everywhere could pretty much get the story right away. <The 3D of course was the major sell - and will be again this time judging from showtimes. The 3D showtimes vastly outnumber the 2D ones, reversing the trend>
I didn't say I didn't know anyone who has seen it. I said it's either that or they don't remember it very well. I fall into the second half.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Evil space colonizers? Are we now talking about Star Wars?

Anyhoo... was Chapek sacked for Avatar 2 or for The Santa Clauses?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They thought they could do that with DisneyQuest.

Or will 'exclusivity' make it profitable?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom