News Bob Iger Steps Down - Bob Chapek CEO

PiratesMansion

Lucky for you Disney Movie Club still exists....

Except there are some things on D+ that I would love to pay money for to own directly without joining some "special" club, a special club that serves no purpose other than to ensure I will be overcharged and forced to buy movies I already own, in hopes that maybe at some point they'll make Howard or The Imagineering Story as one of their special short run releases.

Maybe the movie club would be beneficial if I was just starting to buy a bunch of Disney movies, but at this point I already own almost everything that I would like to that is presently available to purchase.

It'd be much easier and more profitable for all involved if I could just buy the things I want on Amazon or in a store and be done with it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Except there are some things on D+ that I would love to pay money for to own directly without joining some "special" club, a special club that serves no purpose other than to ensure I will be overcharged and forced to buy movies I already own, in hopes that maybe at some point they'll make Howard or The Imagineering Story as one of their special short run releases.

Maybe the movie club would be beneficial if I was just starting to buy a bunch of Disney movies, but at this point I already own almost everything that I would like to that is presently available to purchase.

It'd be much easier and more profitable for all involved if I could just buy the things I want on Amazon or in a store and be done with it.
Welcome to the Disney Vault of old, where only what Disney wants to put out on media for purchase is available, established in ~1984.

No one ever said dealing with Disney is easy.

Phroobar

I wouldn't mind more Dove Cameron.
I can see why.

iu

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I can see why.

iu
I don't even know what that is from so not sure what you're getting at.

But I think she is talented, I thought she was good on Agents of Shield. Also she isn't a child actress anymore if that was what you were implying, she is 26 and has a pretty successful music career.

TP2000

I love how in the WSJ article it tries to pretend that one of the things Iger was unhappy with Chapek about was his theme park pricing.

I'll believe it when I see price decreases and/or the restoration of other cuts.

Sure Jan GIF

I saw a segment on CNBC last night that said the same thing, perhaps just parroting the WSJ? But it was CNBC and they went on about it for several minutes, so it's a genuine concern in the rather clueless to the parks financial community.

As if the Parks are what drove this incredible turn of events. I find that hard to believe, since the Parks just chug along printing money through good times and bad for the most part. The Parks paper over the messes created by Burbank's studio and media divisions, if anything.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't even know what that is from so not sure what you're getting at.

But I think she is talented, I thought she was good on Agents of Shield. Also she isn't a child actress anymore if that was what you were implying, she is 26 and has a pretty successful music career.

I think the implication was just that she’s nice to look at, and I agree.

TP2000

So, Chapek was trying to cook the books with the Disney+ loss. Premiering shows meant for D+ on the Disney Channel to move production costs away from D+.

What a mess this all is!

I have commented several times in the past year about Disney+, mostly over in the movie threads, that I just can't wrap my pea-sized brain around how they are making any money off of streaming. They spend $200 Million or more to create these tentpole movies from their flagship studios, and then put them on Disney+ for 8 bucks a month? 🤔

I just can't figure out how that works financially for them in the mid-term, let alone the long-term.

It's apparent that streaming and all the financial headaches attached to it is a big part of this corporate coup unfolding in Burbank this holiday week. I mean, they certainly didn't fire Chapek over Lightning Lane or Genie+, even if some diehard park fans and Lifestylers want to imagine they did.

It's got to be a bigger and more financially troubling reason than anything the Parks are dealing with.

TP2000

I struggle taking her seriously also, she inherited 8-9 figures and complains about wealth disparity. I notice she’s never given all HER money away to close the gap.

Exactly. Born into wealth, went to all the best private schools. Then used her family name and money to dabble in documentary films, like a normal person dabbles in gardening or ceramics. Never worked a real job for a boss a day in her life.

And yet she can claim intrinsic knowledge of how to profitably run The Walt Disney Company?

Put her pompous butt on the order line for one day at Tomorrowland Terrace and she'd run home to Pacific Palisades before her second break! :rolleyes:

brb1006

There's a video surfacing somewhere online showing Disney Fans and guests cheering at Disneyland's Main Street USA after hearing the news of Chapek no longer being CEO. I wanted to post the video, but I can't find it as of this post.

Update: Apparently the video was fake.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

What a mess this all is!

I have commented several times in the past year about Disney+, mostly over in the movie threads, that I just can't wrap my pea-sized brain around how they are making any money off of streaming. They spend $200 Million or more to create these tentpole movies from their flagship studios, and then put them on Disney+ for 8 bucks a month? 🤔

I just can't figure out how that works financially for them in the mid-term, let alone the long-term.

It's apparent that streaming and all the financial headaches attached to it is a big part of this corporate coup unfolding in Burbank this holiday week. I mean, they certainly didn't fire Chapek over Lightning Lane or Genie+, even if some diehard park fans and Lifestylers want to imagine they did.

It's got to be a bigger and more financially troubling reason than anything the Parks are dealing with.
How streaming works is it is an unproven business model. All these companies get more and more in debt to create content to compete with eachother, yet there hasn't been enough customers to make any of these services profittable.

The idea is they believe one day it will be profitable. It's as stupid as it sounds. Disney throwing their movies on D+ in an act of desperation was pretty bad and they repeated it 3 or 4 times.

CaptinEO

Let's ask @TP2000 , who probably masterminded this whole thing with Zenia anyways, if history is any indication 🤣
That article did claim he was responsible for manipulating the fan community to get Iger hired as CEO and that he was also Al Lutz on Micechat.

Maybe "Utah" is codename for Lake Nona.

@TP2000 was probably working hard the last two years to get his buddy Iger back as CEO.

If you replace "neopalitan shake" in his posts about In N Out with the words "Bob Iger" you can see his cryptic plan unfolding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom