News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

jpinkc

Ok sorry I just woke up from my FAINT, OMG BBQ, I havent read much Disney lately because it was just depression and "drama", but I dont know if this is a good thing or bad. I dont see him walking anything back that Cheapek did. What do you think.

kingdead

The pandemic era has really exacerbated what had already been occurring pre-pandemic: audiences will pay to go watch in the theater either (a) huge IP-driven blockbusters or (b) horror movies (where there's something different about watching a scary movie with a large audience), but very little else (with the successes outside of those two categories being the exceptions as opposed to the rule). Disney is actually in better shape for that universe than most with the IP that they own on paper, although as always, it's a matter of executing on it (e.g. Warner owns great IP with DC Comics, but their execution over the past decade has ranged from Oscar-worthy films like The Joker to complete and utter banal trash).
Marvel could use a tuneup. I wonder if Chapek's insistence on synergy was adding minutes to the movies--Black Panther 2 might be doing a bit better if there wasn't so much Disney+ content stuffed into the plot.

Laketravis

<whisper> Hello, HR?

LOL!

Then there's this:

"Yet evidence suggests that ‘boomerang CEOs’ might constrain a company’s growth. A study published in the MIT Sloan Management Review in 2020 found that companies that brought back a former CEO have "significantly lower" stock performance than firms that brought in someone new.

The study, led by researchers at the Univeristy of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Marquette University, found that these negative effects were magnified when the company brought back a former founder."

Dan Deesnee

For the people thinking this move will lead to Iger jettisoning Genie+ and ILL and other revenue-generating parks changes -- you are dreaming. There is no reason Disney would ditch those revenue streams at a time when other segments of the company were piling up scary enough results that the CEO got fired.

I certainly understand the Chapek hate, but have some perspective and do not equate Iger being back to "everything I wanted to happen in the parks will happen now!"

Unless the board viewed, rightfully so, that Chapek was killing their golden goose...

Boards mostly exist to think mid to long term for the company. It's very clear from the official statements that they saw the direction Chapek was heading and knew that it was not good for the parks or their brand.

Casper Gutman

lol, farthest thing from it
He was a mediocre executive totally unequal to the role he was thrust into by the machinations of a cagey veteran CEO who had caused long term damage to the company and a panicky, confused board. He was set up as a fall guy, a patsy, a dupe, thrust into the firing line of the worst series of disasters to hit Disney in decades so an accomplished manipulator could save his personal reputation at the expense of a company he was supposed to guide. It’s almost a noir film storyline - Chapeks weak, incompetent, and unlikeable, but he’s the best of a bad lot.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Robinson's was a troubled production.

The Pixar acquisition happened near the end of it and Lasseter stepped in with his new company role to try helping punch it up but I think they knew that one was a bit of a lost cause.

Watching objectively, you can see how all over the place it really was.*

Two things I remember most vividly about my theater viewing of that one was the new Walt Disney Pictures intro and the way they kept hitting us over the head with the Walt line "... keep moving forward".

That last part, especially how it was used in the movie, felt like a message to the audience not to judge the future on the movie they had just seen, by that point, made by a different organization from the past.

*I'll admit I liked the Tom Selleck meta joke, though.

_
I really like "Meet the Robinson's". Not that it doesn't stumble in a few places, but it's quite enjoyable. I still cringe to think of what it would have been like without Lasseter's involvement.

jpinkc

Unless the board viewed, rightfully so, that Chapek was killing their golden goose...

Boards mostly exist to think mid to long term for the company. It's very clear from the official statements that they saw the direction Chapek was heading and knew that it was not good for the parks or their brand.
That would require foresight on the part of this board. Something they have not shown any ability to do. I would love to see any board of directors that understood what older Boards of Directors understood. Are we making Money? Bottomline are we making money and is it enough for continued growth and etc. Then we are good, we cant take in all the money, because then our customer has NONE!!! Which isnt good for long term.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
He was a mediocre executive totally unequal to the role he was thrust into by the machinations of a cagey veteran CEO who had caused long term damage to the company and a panicky, confused board. He was set up as a fall guy, a patsy, a dupe, thrust into the firing line of the worst series of disasters to hit Disney in decades so an accomplished manipulator could save his personal reputation at the expense of a company he was supposed to guide. It’s almost a noir film storyline - Chapeks weak, incompetent, and unlikeable, but he’s the best of a bad lot.

Chapek is what happens when Iger pushed out everyone who could do the job far better than he could.

FigmentFan82

oh wow you've been diving into some rabbit holes i see

EPCOT-O.G.

I know this move was done to inspire confidence in Wall Street, but it really suggests some deep, deep problems that are maybe far worse than even us Disney fanatics realize or comprehend
Some chatter online is that there was some imminent announcement/decision lined up for this week and they needed to act fast (in confluence with the dreadful last week or so). If this urgency is correct, it would make sense that it’s a decision not easily walked back, and in the streaming realm. A sudden fire sale of ESPN? Some boneheaded decision re: the rest of the Hulu acquisition?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If you want a poster child for what's wrong with the MBA-obsessed Disney, $lappie is your hands-down, slam-dunk, can't-miss #1 overall pick. No feel for anything. No idea what makes anything special. No charisma. All the charm of a piece of charcoal. No public speaking ability. Makes Bob "More Trees" Iger look creative by comparison.

Dan Deesnee

Marvel could use a tuneup. I wonder if Chapek's insistence on synergy was adding minutes to the movies--Black Panther 2 might be doing a bit better if there wasn't so much Disney+ content stuffed into the plot.

The MCU is dying. Compare box office numbers to 6 years ago. Costs to bake the movies is way up, revenue is way down. They've lost the script, there is no coherent big storyline tying anything together.

They own the Fantastic 4 and Xmen and have done next to nothing with them so this situation can be easily salvaged.

Expect a huge return to massive MCU box office numbers in a few years.

Chip Chipperson

I wonder how much his performance during the last Quarterly Earnings Call spurred his ouster. Perhaps it was just the last straw. I just can't imagine that the Board or big investors were feeling confident in him after he said D+ is still expected to become profitable in 2024 "if there's not a recession next year." That's like a weather report calling for sunshine "as long as that hurricane off the coast does a 180 and heads back out to sea."

Laketravis

I wonder how much his performance during the last Quarterly Earnings Call spurred his ouster. Perhaps it was just the last straw. I just can't imagine that the Board or big investors were feeling confident in him after he said D+ is still expected to become profitable in 2024 "if there's not a recession next year." That's like a weather report calling for sunshine "as long as that hurricane off the coast does a 180 and heads back out to sea."

The board doesn't take it's cues from earnings calls. Rest assured that whatever utterances are made during an earnings call, the board is already acutely aware of the background details minus the spin. Chapek may very well have already known the earnings call was his own eulogy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom