News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Skywise

It’s Disney…

They need animation…and live action…

They need to refresh their parks in the face of mounting financial pressure on them.

They need to put Star Wars on a movie screen that is written and filmed by fans of Star Wars…

The truth didn’t change today
I dunno - aside from Strange Worlds, DisneyCorp seems to have abandoned their animation division and ceded it to Pixar who's not even firing on all cylinders these days and BOTH take a back seat to Star Wars/Marvel/Avatar.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I dunno - aside from Strange Worlds, DisneyCorp seems to have abandoned their animation division and ceded it to Pixar who's not even firing on all cylinders these days and BOTH take a back seat to Star Wars/Marvel/Avatar.
I’m not disagreeing with you.

Remember what happened today: a gigantic media company just had to publicly admit that it was being poorly run.

That’s shocking on all levels

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Look - you can astroturf it all you want but Chapek was laying the ground work to CUT STAFF - that's standard corporation procedure.

I'm surprised you didn't just attack it because it was a 'faux news' article.
Well, this is all moot because we won't see if "massive layoffs" are happening under Chapek.

After a week of the announcement... nothing's happened so far with that announcement. No filings with FL or CA with regard to the requirement to publish an intent to make massive layoffs, no surge of employees posting to social media they've been laid off, and their help wanted site keeps posting postings.

So, all we have is Chapek's statement. And he didn't say 'lay offs' let alone 'massive layoffs.' The "reduction in positions" was presumably from the hiring freeze.

If massive layoffs had then actually happened, Chapek would have had even more PR troubles for that blatant lie.

So, my position isn't based on my intent to be "astroturfing." But, I will keep in mind that you resort to ad hominem attacks when it's been shown you had your facts wrong.

Casper Gutman

You mean the one film that performed like the good old days?
The big news out of cinemas this year has been that not only are blockbusters back to busting blocks (Top Gun 2, Jurassic World, Minions, Doctor Strange, etc.) but all types of films are performing unexpectedly well, from lower-budget pictures (Smile, Barbarian) to, most surprising of all, mid-range star vehicles (Ticket to Paradise, Lost City) - a group of films that people thought had died a decade ago.

Movie theater's problem is they lack product, not that it isn't selling.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
But it affects appearance/value of the parks AND the corp as a whole. if Iger didn't realize how important that was to the company's appearance and PR value then that's on him, too.
To be honest, I think paid parking is the wrong thing to aim at at the parks or even the concept of paid fastpass.

The glaring issue is the execution of paid Fastpass.

They should have just increased ticket prices for the small amount they're charging. If they were dead set on charging for them, the Universal strategy of charging obscene amounts to limit demand and have a very straightforward experience if you buy it would have been a better solution for most people; it would have lowered waits across the board.

The current system is a convoluted, ineffective mess that is a net negative. It doesn't have to be that way. They also have a useless tip board that makes it harder to access 'my day' in the app for no reason.

Another misstep was Magical Express, as while yes, it costs money to operate, YOU ARE KEEPING PEOPLE ON PROPERTY WHICH MAKES YOU MONEY.

His over-the-top synergistic plans were embarrassingly bad too. Just listen to him explain his plans. While having more synergy definitely makes sense from a branding perspective, he's still completely out of touch with why people go to theme parks or watch movies and shows:

DEADLINE: When you were speaking at the Legends ceremony on Friday, you dropped a little bit more of what seemed like a serious next phase for the Walt Disney Company. You said Disney+ and some of your other platforms, we are going to make things interactive. This has been floating around for a while — you even brought Mike White on board to facilitate it — but is the metaverse the future of Disney?

CHAPEK: (laughs) We call it next-gen storytelling. We tend not to use the M word too often, because it has a lot of hair on it. But yes, Disney+ will not just be a movie-service platform, but it’s going to become an experiential lifestyle platform. A platform for the whole company to embody both the physical things that you might be able to experience in a theme park, but also the digital experiences that you can get through media.

DEADLINE: That sounds like a very big swing, but how does it work on a practical level?

CHAPEK: Here’s how. So, we wish every person would have the opportunity to come to our parks, but we realize that’s not a reality for some people. In order to reach the 90% of people that will never ever be able to get to a Disney park, we have before us an opportunity to turn what was a movie-service platform to an experiential platform and give them the ability to ride Haunted Mansion from a virtual standpoint. The utility isn’t just to have the same experience. Maybe we’ll give them the opportunity what every single person in the park wants to do, and unfortunately too many of them do it, just to get off the attraction. See how it works, see how those ghost dancers move…

DEADLINE: Are we talking about something with goggles, like Oculus?

CHAPEK: Short term, yes. Long term maybe not, maybe something more.

DEADLINE: How?

CHAPEK:
We want to give people the ability to experience digitally, something that’s akin to a physical experience that they necessarily can’t be at that place in that time. But it’s even more important than that. So, when a family comes to our parks, we know exactly what you did. Let’s say you stay a week. We got seven days, 24 hours a day. We know everything that you do in the park. And if you give us the permission and ability through the membership app, we’ll program your Disney+ experience, not according to what you watched last or what other people who watch this show, but to what you did, what you experienced.

Disneyland-Anaheim-1.jpg

^^^ This entire thing can be accomplished for a few million (if that) by making 360-camera POVs of all the rides (a good idea by the way) and putting them on Disney Plus alongside native 360 video support. It's definitely not an inherently bad idea to add, say, some ShopDisney recommendations to DisneyPlus, but I mean, the way he described everything shows how boneheaded and idiotic he is. The way he wants to cross over the parks with streaming is not how it works. Meta is losing billions on their obviously absurd idea of the metaverse with nothing to show for it, and Chapek, as the head of an entertainment company, wants to do the same. Disney could buy a video game studio once their house is in order. That could actually be useful for synergy. Thinking people will get a theme park replacement at home will not happen. Neither will recommending content on Disney+ based on the ride's IP you rode at the park going to work as the quality of the ride differs from the demographics and quality of content on Disney+.

Lol this too, per ScreenRant:

Concern over Chapek's leadership will likely intensify after the Disney CEO's recent comments regarding animated movies. Speaking on the subject, Chapek claimed adults don't like watching animation and that the genre is for kids. "I always say that when our fans and our audiences put their kids to bed at night after watching Pinocchio, or Dumbo, or The Little Mermaid, they're probably not gonna tune into another animated movie," he opined. Chapek added that "They [adults] want something for them." Chapek's final observation is the most telling, suggesting he believes adults consider all animated movies as somehow not "for them" and that grown-ups naturally lean toward live-action.

In Chapek's world, everything is transactional. There is no humanity or nuance. Everything is cold. That is a great way to run a cable company, but for an entertainment company that survives on disposable income for vacations, movies, and shows? It's pathetic. He's a business guy; how he got the role of Chief Creative Officer, too, is mind-blowing.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The big news out of cinemas this year has been that not only are blockbusters back to busting blocks (Top Gun 2, Jurassic World, Minions, Doctor Strange, etc.) but all types of films are performing unexpectedly well, from lower-budget pictures (Smile, Barbarian) to, most surprising of all, mid-range star vehicles (Ticket to Paradise, Lost City) - a group of films that people thought had died a decade ago.

Right?

Movie theaters didn’t die…Maverick walked off with $1,500,000,000…

What has happened is Disney’s movies have started to really blow. And that was all on Iger…chapek wasn’t even there long enough

Skywise

Well, this is all moot because we won't see if "massive layoffs" are happening under Chapek.

After a week of the announcement... nothing's happened so far with that announcement. No filings with FL or CA with regard to the requirement to publish an intent to make massive layoffs, no surge of employees posting to social media they've been laid off, and their help wanted site keeps posting postings.

So, all we have is Chapek's statement. And he didn't say 'lay offs' let alone 'massive layoffs.' The "reduction in positions" was presumably from the hiring freeze.

If massive layoffs had then actually happened, Chapek would have had even more PR troubles for that blatant lie.

So, my position isn't based on my intent to be "astroturfing." But, I will keep in mind that you resort to ad hominem attacks when it's been shown you had your facts wrong.
I don't think you understand how the real world works.

corps/CEOs must have justifications for mass layoffs, especially entrenched ones in Disney, because they will go to the courts to demand their jobs back if they felt they were unjustly removed. The Board LIKED things the way they were AFTER Chapek had announced his intentions to find justifications to trim the company. And he may have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids.

Returning Iger is a defense of the status quo - park prices and parking prices and G+ tickets will continue to go UP because it's the only profit center for the corp that needs to sustain failing ABC, failing ESPN, Disney+ costs (which is still a loss leader) and their failing movie divisions when only the parks are profitable.

_caleb

Oh, I’m not arguing that some movies have done well in post-pandemic theatrical releases. But bigger picture, movie theaters aren’t trending up. And ol‘ Iger might not know what to do about it, but at lease he isn’t in denial about the general direction of the business.

TP2000

This is GREAT news because it means Bob Chapek has left...

Bob Chapek was a clueless and charmless dork who swam way out into the deep end of Showmanship when he should have stayed in the shallow end of Merchandising where he belonged.

I can only assume that the Board begged Mr. Iger to return temporarily and save the sinking ship, and to begin a 12 month process of vetting and sourcing a new leadership team to fix the Walt Disney Company.

Shades of 1983, if I were to be optimistic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be honest, I think paid parking is the wrong thing to aim at at the parks or even the concept of paid fastpass.

The glaring issue is the execution of paid Fastpass.

They should have just increased ticket prices for the small amount they're charging. If they were dead set on charging for them, the Universal strategy of charging obscene amounts to limit demand and have a very straightforward experience if you buy it would have been a better solution for most people; it would have lowered waits across the board.

The current system is a convoluted, ineffective mess that is a net negative. It doesn't have to be that way. They also have a useless tip board that makes it harder to access 'my day' in the app for no reason.

His over-the-top synergistic plans were embarrassingly bad too. Just listen to him explain his plans. He's completely out of touch for why people go to the parks or watch shows.

DEADLINE: When you were speaking at the Legends ceremony on Friday, you dropped a little bit more of what seemed like a serious next phase for the Walt Disney Company. You said Disney+ and some of your other platforms, we are going to make things interactive. This has been floating around for a while — you even brought Mike White on board to facilitate it — but is the metaverse the future of Disney?

CHAPEK: (laughs) We call it next-gen storytelling. We tend not to use the M word too often, because it has a lot of hair on it. But yes, Disney+ will not just be a movie-service platform, but it’s going to become an experiential lifestyle platform. A platform for the whole company to embody both the physical things that you might be able to experience in a theme park, but also the digital experiences that you can get through media.

DEADLINE: That sounds like a very big swing, but how does it work on a practical level?

CHAPEK: Here’s how. So, we wish every person would have the opportunity to come to our parks, but we realize that’s not a reality for some people. In order to reach the 90% of people that will never ever be able to get to a Disney park, we have before us an opportunity to turn what was a movie-service platform to an experiential platform and give them the ability to ride Haunted Mansion from a virtual standpoint. The utility isn’t just to have the same experience. Maybe we’ll give them the opportunity what every single person in the park wants to do, and unfortunately too many of them do it, just to get off the attraction. See how it works, see how those ghost dancers move…

DEADLINE: Are we talking about something with goggles, like Oculus?

CHAPEK: Short term, yes. Long term maybe not, maybe something more.

DEADLINE: How?

CHAPEK:
We want to give people the ability to experience digitally, something that’s akin to a physical experience that they necessarily can’t be at that place in that time. But it’s even more important than that. So, when a family comes to our parks, we know exactly what you did. Let’s say you stay a week. We got seven days, 24 hours a day. We know everything that you do in the park. And if you give us the permission and ability through the membership app, we’ll program your Disney+ experience, not according to what you watched last or what other people who watch this show, but to what you did, what you experienced.

Disneyland-Anaheim-1.jpg

Another misstep was Magical Express, as while yes, it costs money to operate, YOU ARE KEEPING PEOPLE ON PROPERTY WHICH MAKES YOU MONEY.

In Chapek's world, everything is transactional. There is no humanity or nuance. Everything is cold. That is a great way to run a cable company, but for an entertainment company that survives on disposable income for vacations, movies, and shows? It's pathetic. He's a business guy, how he got the role of Chief Creative Officer too is mindblowing.
The parks are a numbers problem. And that is iger’s fault.

They added almost zero capacity during the last 20 years and the attendance went up 25%

It’s not a price issue - as all the self appointed millennial accountants spout here - you’re not selling Peter Pan for $500 to kill the crowd.

They will never thread that needle because revenues will fall.

They need a real building program…which when Iger Sorta got towards the end when he pooched it

Vegas Disney Fan

If they touch Feige it will be one of the four or five stupidest moves in Hollywood history. Anyone who didn't sell their Disney stock the minute that news hit would be a fool. The MCU is a miracle of consistency unlike anything pop culture has ever seen and Feige is one of the greatest producers in history - Thalberg or Selznick level.

It's more a question of whether Feige is considering jumping ship - or used the threat to help push Chapek out the door, just as he did with Perlmutter.

I thought the same… Chapek seemed to alienate everyone, whether CM, guest, actor… I wonder if Feige or Favreau or one of the other big names got into it with Chapek and was going to walk and the BOD preemptively stopped that from happening?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom